General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:44 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts

This may or not have any effect on your bike I'll pass the experience on anyhow.

In 2012 we 6 different Caddy CTS or Srx,s towed into the shop for no start.
But when unloaded they would start fine. We gave the vehicles back to some pretty unhappy customers. These same cars and a few others probably were back in the shop over a period of a few months.

After a lot of conversation in the shop and tech line and brain storming and getting as much info from a couple customers that were understanding and willing to help with info as much as possible __ we got it.

I learned and was able to prove that some security systems and sprinkler systems can interfere with fobs communicating with the vehicle even when it is in the vehicle. We had to teach the customers to place the fob in a special pocket in the console and the vehicle would start. If not then call a tow truck.

All this was brought up in a training session latter and it was said there had been situations where the fob battery's were going down to fast and it was related to some of the same interference. I never saw this myself but it was mentioned.

WP

Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Why would you keep the fob near the bike anyway? It's an anti theft device so it makes sense for the fob to be away from the bike even in your garage. Garages get broken into and bikes get stolen. Why give the thief the key and fob??
I agree with UK bcs I love her. Yeah, that is a GOOD reason.

Originally Posted by Axis39
/\ /\ This!!! /\ /\

I don't understand why you would not take the key and fob away from the bike either. Seems like you are just handing the bike to a thief.
Yuppers there too.

I keep 1 FOB about 15 feet away and it does not connect with 'me bike.

I keep 1 FOB in 'me pants pocket waaaay away.

'me wife says she keeps 1 SLOB so I can fix things around the house. (Wait a minute.)

BuzzCap7

Old 06-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 349 Likes on 149 Posts

OK, I get it, everyone responds like they know what they're talking about....same as I always do....Anywhoo, does anyone REALLY know what the deal is with the fobs. I leave mine in my saddlebag all the time and haven't had a problem for over a year. This thread got me thinking though, which is the wrong direction for me to take. Anyway I researched all the threads I could find on the topic. Seems like 1/4 of the experts said it was OK to leave it on the bike with no effect; 1/4 said the fob battery would go dead quickly; 1/4 said the bike's battery would go dead; and 1/4 didn't seem to know what a fob was but weren't gonna let that keep them from responding. What's the real deal? P.S. don't tell me people will steal my bike.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Ok, I'm doing a study this very minute....key fob is in my saddle bag, bike is in my garage. As long as no one breaks into my garage and rides off with my unsecured biked, I'll report my results on a daily basis.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
Ok, I'm doing a study this very minute....key fob is in my saddle bag, bike is in my garage. As long as no one breaks into my garage and rides off with my unsecured biked, I'll report my results on a daily basis.
I'm not sure how "reporting the results" on a daily basis is going to work...

If you go out and start the bike every day, but don't ride it, you'll kill the battery doing that.

If you start it every day but leave it on a charger so you don't drain the battery starting it, you won't be testing anything.

If you ride the bike every day, the battery(ies) won't have time to get drained.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Roadrage1996
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My fob stays on my bike all the time unless I am leaving it in an unfamiliar area, never an issue.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have 8 bikes with fobs. They all last 3 to 4 years as do the spares kept in the key cabinet. They range in age from an 06 to a 17.

On a trip this week with the 14 RK and original fob battery and for that matter the bikes battery. Got the bike in the fall of 13.

Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. Besides I can whip my code of all 1's in real quick. Do I care if I just id'd the code? Nope. It seems that the majority of riders don't even know how to input the code.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-04-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,192 Likes on 7,370 Posts

About two weeks after buying our 2016 Limited I would start it up and ride off only to see "No Fob" displayed on the screen only to have the fob actually hanging from my belt loop.

Tried the other fob and after a day or two it did the same thing.

Carried the bike to the dealer and they said the batteries in the Don's needed replacing. Thought since the bike was new great no problem until they wanted to charge me for the batteries! I asked why and they told be there was no labor. I would have changed them myself for what they charged!

That actually solve the problem for a couple of months and now it is doing it again. It clears from the screen and so far has never failed to start.

I keep my bike on a tender, I do have a security system in my garage and the fobs are stored away from the bike.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:40 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

If you ride the bike every day, the battery(ies) won't have time to get drained.
But the FOB still see the same down time during the day while at work or over night while bike is sitting. Only difference will be the hr or 2 in the evenings if weather or desire permits riding. But yes, monthly reporting would been a better choice. And as posted earlier, its not a constant checking going on to drain battery under normal conditions. Though bike sat over winter, not on tender, and still no problem. I imagine this thread will be in the achieves in a month though.