General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Hey man long time no see, dragged my *** outa the cave finally I bought a 17 road king.

No way... I didn't think you would ever ride a bike without a kick-start!!

Congrats... I went the opposite way and jumped on a sporty so I can thrash about...

Glad to see you on here, bro!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

My Fobs have worked perfectly. I like it.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:35 AM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My keys are almost always within 15' of the bike and I'm still on the original batteries from 2014. Sounds like something is defective. The fob and/or the replacement batteries.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I leave mine in the windshield bag or draped over the throttle. I've been doing it this way for years and haven't had a problem. Where I live having a bike stolen out of my garage is a slightly lower risk than alien abduction.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:52 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Are the key fobs covered under the bikes warranty?

Old 06-04-2017, 12:58 PM
trevorleecraig@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the first year

Old 06-04-2017, 01:34 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Why would you keep the fob near the bike anyway? It's an anti theft device so it makes sense for the fob to be away from the bike even in your garage. Garages get broken into and bikes get stolen. Why give the thief the key and fob??
If someone is going to break into my locked garage, whats to keep them from walking into my house and getting the FOB? Same thing with my vehicles, keys are left in ignition when in garage. If I had to constantly be worried about someone breaking into my garage, I'd move

Old 06-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 349 Likes on 149 Posts

If someone doesn't break into your garage you are not allowed to shoot them. At least that is my understanding. Seems to me you are missing the point of the whole Harley in the garage thing.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Sd883
if you keep the key fobs near the bike when you're not riding, they will always be talking to the bike- and running the batteries down. I keep my fobs at least 15' away from the bike. Try moving the fobs further from the bike, that may be an issue.
Originally Posted by CVO SG
I always keep my FOB hanging off the latche mounts inside the saddle bags on both my '15 SGS and the '17 CVO. Only time they are not on the bike is when I ride to a store and lock it, guessing the fob is away from the bike maybe once every 2 weeks. Point being, its almost always on the bike and Ive never had to replace the battery. Odd why some do, some don't.
Good luck
Originally Posted by Firenailer
I leave the fob clipped to the side case latch as well and after 4 months no issues....yet.
Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
HD fobs have both a transmitter and receiver. The fob's receiver has a timer that wakes it up momentarily to see if the bike is nearby and polling it. This happens at a very low radio frequency of 125 kHz. If the fob hears this polling signal then it answers back with a coded identifier signal particular to your bike at 434 mHz. As you can imagine, if the fob is left within range of the bike it will constantly be consuming power as it continuously responds to the polling queries. Some fobs have a range of only a foot or two while others (like mine) will go 6 feet. This is why some folks can leave their fob in the saddlebag with no problems while others keep the key fob in their jacket but hung near the bike and still suffer dead batteries. For fob battery longevity, keep the fob well away from from your bike.
Originally Posted by threedeuce5
My keys are almost always within 15' of the bike and I'm still on the original batteries from 2014. Sounds like something is defective. The fob and/or the replacement batteries.
Leaving the fob within range is not a problem, (unless the bike is moving, such as being transported in a trailer).

Leaving the fob in range does not result in constant communications draining the battery. This is commonly believed, but erroneous.

I keep my fob in the pocket of my riding jacket, which I toss over the handlebars when in the garage. Two years old, original batteries, no problems at all.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 06-04-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:26 PM
TriggerHappyFXDLS
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Leaving the fob within range is not a problem, (unless the bike is moving, such as being transported in a trailer).

This is commonly believed, but erroneous. Leaving the fob in range does not result in constant communications draining the battery.

I keep my fob in the pocket of my riding jacket, which I toss over the handlebars when in the garage. Two years old, original batteries, no problems at all.
Agreed. I doubt all of the local stealerships would leave the fobs ziptied to the bikes license plate holders if they were draining batteries enough to have to replace them every few weeks...

Quick Reply: Key fob hell