General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I leave the fob clipped to the side case latch as well and after 4 months no issues....yet.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

As long as the bike has sufficient battery power, the security system is active. If it does not sense the fob, the security system is armed. Moving the bike enough, or trying to start the bike without entering the PIN will trigger the alarm.
When the Fob comes within range of the bike, it drops the security, and allows the bike to be started the usual way. Take the fob away, security rearms itself.
That said, it may be possible to have the security system disabled- you'd need to speak to a tech to find out.
Assuming you could disable it, the fob would likely be useless. I very much doubt you could program things to where the bike reads the fob strictly for allowing the bike to start, but without the alarm part of the security.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:15 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Why would you keep the fob near the bike anyway? It's an anti theft device so it makes sense for the fob to be away from the bike even in your garage. Garages get broken into and bikes get stolen. Why give the thief the key and fob??

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
I always keep my FOB hanging off the latche mounts inside the saddle bags on both my '15 SGS and the '17 CVO. Only time they are not on the bike is when I ride to a store and lock it, guessing the fob is away from the bike maybe once every 2 weeks. Point being, its almost always on the bike and Ive never had to replace the battery. Odd why some do, some don't.
Good luck
Do you have an alarm?

Old 06-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Why would you keep the fob near the bike anyway? It's an anti theft device so it makes sense for the fob to be away from the bike even in your garage. Garages get broken into and bikes get stolen. Why give the thief the key and fob??
/\ /\ This!!! /\ /\

I don't understand why you would not take the key and fob away from the bike either. Seems like you are just handing the bike to a thief.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:39 PM
trevorleecraig@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer did end up programming a new fob today took 10 minutes. Amazing what happens when you get the manager involved. I will let everyone know if this fixed it.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Why I wanted a bike without it ......

The following users liked this post:
SBRob (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Why I wanted a bike without it ......
TwiZted - What is up? It's BP (BlackPharoah). Changed my name. It's been a few years. Glad to see you alive and kicking, brother!

Old 06-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 766 Posts

HD fobs have both a transmitter and receiver. The fob's receiver has a timer that wakes it up momentarily to see if the bike is nearby and polling it. This happens at a very low radio frequency of 125 kHz. If the fob hears this polling signal then it answers back with a coded identifier signal particular to your bike at 434 mHz. As you can imagine, if the fob is left within range of the bike it will constantly be consuming power as it continuously responds to the polling queries. Some fobs have a range of only a foot or two while others (like mine) will go 6 feet. This is why some folks can leave their fob in the saddlebag with no problems while others keep the key fob in their jacket but hung near the bike and still suffer dead batteries. For fob battery longevity, keep the fob well away from from your bike.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Honey-Badger
TwiZted - What is up? It's BP (BlackPharoah). Changed my name. It's been a few years. Glad to see you alive and kicking, brother!
Hey man long time no see, dragged my *** outa the cave finally I bought a 17 road king.

Quick Reply: Key fob hell