General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Road King Special Baffle Ectomy - EASY

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Roadrage1996
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2017 Road King Special Baffle Ectomy - EASY

Hello All,

Since this forum has helped me many times I decided to take a couple of minutes and share a "Do-It-Yourself" project.

NOTE: I left the catalytic converter in place.

When I picked up my new Road King I loved everything with the exception of feeling like I was ridding a "metric or electric bike". I have been ridding for 30+ years and honestly, the two major things that attracted me to a Harley was the individuality and the sound of a Harley opened up under hard acceleration.

So I knew "MOD #1" was going to be slip on or full exhaust. After shopping around I was getting ready to spend $626 -$1,025 for a better sound. The problem is unless you have someone who has that particular slip-on, your left with hoping they are the sound you were hoping for. So I decided to do a "baffle ectomy" and see what result I would get. It was extremely simple with the right tools and took under 1 hour.

For the record the "left" and "right" side are "EXACTLY" the same. Unlike past models the right side baffle was a bear to move because it was larger than the opening and you had to sawzall slits to compress the baffle to get it out of the pipe. This is not the case with my Road King.

First the tools you will need:
(1) 3" Hole saw/cutter for metal
(2) Pillars, long screw driver
(3)Cutting Oil
(4) High Torque drill 1/2 drive (Variable Speed)
(5) Patience
(6) Gloves - The packing is fiberglass and you will not have a good experience unless you wear gloves.

Start by pulling off your bags.

With your 3" hole cutter center as best as you can. You will get some chatter because the metal baffle you are trying to cut/remove is conical in shape and the hole saw will struggle to find a center. If you go slow after a couple of minutes it will start to make a path and in no time you will cut thru, it is thin metal. Take your time, slow and steady and put a little oil on the blade a couple of times.

3" Hole Saw

The Break Through;

After you punch thru you can literally grab it with a pair of long needle nose pliers or, just use your fingers.

Now you can go two different ways at this point. On the right side I started to loosen the packing with a long screw driver and using a pair of pliers. I started twisting and pulling. That worked but, the packing would hang up on the sharp edge of where you separated the baffle. I took me 15 minutes to remove because it kept breaking/shredding off.

On the left side I followed the same procedure but, before pulling the packing I used a grinding stone (see below) on a drill and broke the sharp edge. The packing came out in 2 pieces and less than 5 minutes.

I like this stone because it help not wanting to come out and risk damaging your paint/chrome. $3.89

Packing Removal:
After the packing was removed I finished cleaning up the rough areas to look factory new. I then tapped off the ends of both pipes and painted it with RUST-OLEUM high heat flat black. You can find it at Lowes and is commonly used on BBQ's.

So the final result/review:

Hands down I am completely satisfied with the result. I will not be spending money on a set of slip-on's and will use my money for something else.

The tone is very deep and throaty. At cruise speed you hear a slight rumble but "zero" drone. When you crack the throttle it sounds like a Harley supposed to sound. Not obnoxious but, loud enough to put a smile on your face.

This will void your muffler warranty.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Roadrage1996; 05-21-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:57 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 398 Posts

Alrighty then......

Old 05-20-2017, 05:13 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Warranty?

Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,264 Likes on 12,068 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Warranty?
The muffler bearing warranty is void.

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
Cosmic Razorback (05-20-2017), Travis Troutman (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Damon Spriggs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque

Did you lose any hp or torque from the lack of back pressure. I've got an 18 road king im thinking about removing mine

Old 05-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Travis Troutman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't notice any power loss, loud for sure. I did get a noticably good boost in power gutting the cat and running the HD tuner, but went all out on a Cobra header and slip-ons and HD Race tuner (wide band o2 sensors) and a better air filter (that don't look like something of a briggs and stratton riding mower). I think if I had to do it again I would start with cutting the center hole bigger and leaving some of the packing alone, idk just a idea.

Btw, if anyone does it and hates it I have a set of black factory slip ons and head pipe with cats in it still...make me a offer.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,037 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon Spriggs
Did you lose any hp or torque from the lack of back pressure. I've got an 18 road king im thinking about removing mine
That will most likely affect your warranty. Check your owner's manual for details.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Damon Spriggs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Troutman
I didn't notice any power loss, loud for sure. I did get a noticably good boost in power gutting the cat and running the HD tuner, but went all out on a Cobra header and slip-ons and HD Race tuner (wide band o2 sensors) and a better air filter (that don't look like something of a briggs and stratton riding mower). I think if I had to do it again I would start with cutting the center hole bigger and leaving some of the packing alone, idk just a idea.

Btw, if anyone does it and hates it I have a set of black factory slip ons and head pipe with cats in it still...make me a offer.
What is your thoughts for why you would want to leave some packing?

Old 05-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Travis Troutman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Damon Spriggs
What is your thoughts for why you would want to leave some packing?
It had a bit of a tin can sound to me after awhile. Not bad, and i think a little fiberglass in there would make it sound less like a hollow pipe. Idk. Just wish I would have had more patience and tried before emptying them out. Experimenting vs make it loud af now.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Travis Troutman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
That will most likely affect your warranty. Check your owner's manual for details.
Warranty...pfff...HD is gonna void your warranty for having a different sticker on the damn thing anyhow.

Quick Reply: 2017 Road King Special Baffle Ectomy - EASY