General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well that didnt take long.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Slowmo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when I got my first bike about 5 years ago I spent the first few weeks never leaving the neighborhood. I would spend an hour or two every day after work just riding around the neighborhood. At every corner I would turn one way or the other just practicing. I'm sure people probably thought I was casing the place! Once I got really comfortable there I ventured out onto the city streets with higher speed limits and more traffic. I probably didn't get on a freeway for 2 months. Take your time, get used to the bike and the riding. Get used to looking where you want to go and not at that object you don't want to hit. It comes pretty quickly

Old 05-17-2017, 11:50 AM
fantacmet
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Im 39 now. And up until about 03. Bicycle was my primary mode of transportation and recreation.. Mtb racing, bmx stunt riding etc. Then I in 04 I stopped riding. Incidently I met my wife at that time too lol. I drove cars off and on but alot of the time it was racing. As such with all that I developed the ability where I didnt have to keep my eye on where I was going just check the path go. I still generally kept lookong where I was going though. Then comes driving the truck. I cant stay focused where I want to go. I have to watch the fromt corners of the truck the back cotners of the trailer the trailer tandems and every single 4 wheeler pedestrian bicycleist and only about half the motorcycles. Generally the sport bike guys. Even enduro guys dont wanna squeeze in or try anytjing stupid. Its a tough habit to break when I have to do it for a living out of instinct. As I found out it doesnt serve well on a bike. At least not going around a 90 degree corner.

There is a giant college campus I grew up riding my bicycle on not that far from thebyard where I park the truck and where the bikenis right now. They have about 30 percent of the parking lots empty. I think whrn I get back I will go over therr and just start practicing. I am extrelemy paranoid dropping it on the right side as I cant afford to replace those SE pipes. And I love the sound and look of those pipes. Even moreso than anytjing Ive seenor heard from V&H.

Appreciate all the words of encouragement. I have been watching some of the shorts from those videos on youtube. The ones about turning corners and uturns. The ride like a pro ones.

My student told me the worst is over. There are only w kinds if riders. I was one. Then I became the other when I dropped the bike. He thinks I wont be dumb enough to do it again. Smart kid.

Incidently when I was younger I did ride a few motorized 2 wheelers. I didnt know how I just jumped on and rode. Parking lots. Traffic. Etc. Thats what a difference almost 15 years of 4 wheels can do. Bicycle and motorcycle are far morr similar than riders want to believe. Unless you really didnt ride much. I think its time to air up the tires on the bicycle too and practice a couple of concepts for muscle memory purposes. I need to get off my fatass and excercise anyway.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I know this has been mentioned before, but I will mention it again because it's really that important. When the motorcycle instructors told you to "look in the direction you want to go" is no joke. Staring at the thing you are trying to avoid (beemer in this case) will always make you head towards it. They also taught you 'counter-steering', that also isn't a joke. Trust those two things and your body will make that bike do **** you didn't know you could do.

Speed duck walking is a technique that needs be avoided. Bike moving = feet off the ground. A little trick I learned for low speed maneuvering is drag the rear brake a little and never use front brake.

I started at this 10 years ago, and the first thing I did was drive right into a bunch of bushes before I made it out of the driveway (90* left turn out of the garage to go up the driveway). Good times.

The following users liked this post:
WHS1964 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:40 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Glad you are OK. Besides improperly installing the Gremlin Bell, you rode single with your passenger pegs down. That's bad luck. You need more time practicing in the saddle. Trust in the bike. If you give it throttle it wants to stand up. Besides the Ride Like a Pro video there are a couple of great books to read.

"Maximum Control-- Mastering Your Heavyweight Bike" by Pat Hahn
"Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough

Practice, Practice, Practice.
As my old baseball coach said, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes consistent."

Last edited by larsfum; 05-17-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:14 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

First rule of thumb riding a motorcycle, always look where you want to go, not where you are going. The bike will follow!!!! Pound that into your brain!!!!

Old 05-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Fantacmet, were you using the rear brake like Mid-Night-Rider mentioned? That's a huge help.

I had challenges when I first started out, and almost dropped it. Now it's pretty much like riding a bicycle.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM
fantacmet
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing is I remember putting that damnpeg up. It was only that peg not the other one and it was thatbpeg that prevented damage.

The countersteer thing is something I have never been able to conciously do. However when I have watched videos of my riding I noticed I did it subconciously. Curves and such arent an issue really. Its pretty natural just uneasy because of the speed and weight.

I do need to pound into my head though LOOK ******* LOOK! I think I need someone there yelling at me to look for an hour or so.

When pulling into the yard at the end of my trip though I was nervous because its a right onto the street and then immediate left into the parking lot and the driveway is sloped down and covered with pea gravel all over the asphalt and its a small lot. But I went right in. Right left left right and into a spot. No idea how I did it. I wish I could remember. I dont wanna deal with that gravel when I go back. At tmph even your car tires will slide on it. Gonna call facilities and get them to clean it up. We have several riders starting to bring their bikes in. Safety first.

As much as I can safely do so with the truck Im trying to force myself to look. Its a bit different but maybe it will be enough to drill it. Or at least make it easier.

Any tips for making a right turn and maintaining a los throttle rather than accidently gunning it? I keep my wrist low but doesnt really help.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fantacmet
The countersteer thing is something I have never been able to conciously do. However when I have watched videos of my riding I noticed I did it subconciously. Curves and such arent an issue really. Its pretty natural just uneasy because of the speed and weight.
Any tips for making a right turn and maintaining a los throttle rather than accidently gunning it? I keep my wrist low but doesnt really help.
You will find out that steering any bike (even your pedal bike) is impossible to steer without it.

I like to put my thumb against the throttle cables coming out the bottom of the switch housing. Gives me more precise throttle control.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 PM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 261 Likes on 145 Posts

Big yes on counter-steering. You really want it to be second-nature since it's the only proper way to steer a bike. Properly counter-steering makes a bike turn instantly for evasive maneuvers.

Lots of good advice on staying out in low-traffic areas. Do not get on the freeway until you get the hang of the streets. Start slow, like what I did: I woke up early on Sundays when there was hardly any traffic and did small stretches of freeway at a time (one off-ramp distance, then two, etc.)

A rule of thumb I use is anything slower than counter-steer speeds (<15 mph or so) just use your rear brake only.

Good luck. Before you know it you'll be riding your scoot like a bicycle!

Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Going slow, looking where you want to go, slipping your clutch (and that is counter intuitive too) and apply just a little back brake pressure. You will be surprised how much it stabilizes the slow speed maneuver whether you are going straight or turning. Ease on the throttle to match the need. Pretty soon it will become second nature for you! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Well that didnt take long.