General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearly killed by NY's finest but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nearly killed by NY's finest but...

...sometimes it all works out in the end.

OK.....seems like this was a bad weekend for alot of us on 2 wheelsaround here...everyone who knows me knows I'm a big LEO supporter....alot of friends n family on the job etc.....BUT....

Saturday morning I went to visit my dad in St Michaels cemetery here in NY. (how nearly fitting)Took the Harley as it was a beautiful day. After that I wentto stop by mom who lives a few minutes away in Astoria....on the way there, heading down a residential one way street, as I was just upon the intersection, which had a traffic light - me clearly with the right of way, out from the rightcomes anNYPD car FLYING - blows right thru the light, lights flashing but no siren...how I stopped w/o wiping out I don't know butI ended up nearly on the right side sidewalk to the amazement of some guys standing outside the corner bar there.....

SO...here's where it gets good....the cop actually hit the brakes and stopped...to which I start yelling more than a few oscenities - did I freak out?...you damn well bet. I was shaking. Literally. To the point where the bystanders were like - "here let me help you. You should get off the bike now. Hold on."

So thedriver gets out, walks (swaggers) back to me, starts threatening to slap me with a Disorderly Conduct (which any LEO will tell you is the ez'est BS charge to lock someone up on)...and I'm STILL yelling and screaming...we yelled back n forth a bit...I don't think I've ever been that red.....the bystandersstarted backing my side saying he blew the light cold...coulda killed me...etc....

His partner gets out...the cooler head among all....reminds the driver they're responding to a call....I get the "you're lucky we're busy" as he walks away...to which I throw back "this isn't over...and it isn't CCRB who's gonna pay you a visit this week"...he storms back to me - sticks his chest in my face - "gives" me his badge# "nice and up close so I get it right".....arrogant m*therf*cker.

So they tear off. I grab a JD (or 3)at that bar to chill out.I go see my mom and just smile when she asks me "what took so long". Hung there for a while, went home and took my son and his palsbiking, just happy to still be around to do so.

Sunday, we had a 1stcommunion party to attend- daughter of a close budwho is an LTin Queens onNYPD.

After some more driving courses, guess who'll be pulling midnites to 8 in "EL Barrio". Kiss the quiet 114 goodbye, have fun f*cker.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Nearly killed by NY's finest but...

I would be checking the NY state laws on what constitutes an "emergency vehicle". In Kansas, you cannot operate as an Emergency vehicle unless you have both lights and siren running. In other words, no siren, No running red lights.

If it turns out they were in the wrong, I would be filing a complaint.

I hate azz-hats that are clearly in the wrong, but feel that they are right, cuz they wear a badge.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Sucks to hear bro, glad you were ok. hehe, if that cop has to take a driving course, ask your LT buddy if you could perhaps drop by and say hello to the course instructor when that dude is there.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 AM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas also dosent recognize Code 2 responses.
Code 1 ---just driving
Code 2--- Lights Only
Code 3--- Lights and Siren

When you are running lights and siren you are only asking for the right of way it is no an absolute.

Jeff

Old 06-06-2007, 06:39 AM
kmm
Road Captain

Its all the new guys on that job now that suck

any decent cop is running at 20 years

It used to be the best job in NY now its the worst

My friend is in applicant investingations they are forced to take

people with misdemanors and small felonies now

At 25K and no backing that job blows now

Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

only advise i can give.... MOVE.......
Move to where the Rick is....!!!!

chithole city anyways. ya can keep it

Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just glad you're o.k.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Rogue13
Road Captain

Glad you made it out alive Karl. IMHO, I'd take a deep breath, and let it go. Nothing good is gonna come from fighting the situation, or the cop. What goes around, eventually comes around. Be the better man.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn KJ...glad you came out of that ok.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

Damn Bro , glad everything ended up in your favor!!!

Quick Reply: Nearly killed by NY's finest but...