General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
42.95%
No
21.31%
Yes, but I would run them even if they did not.
28.20%
No, but I want to run them because they sound cool
7.21%
Doesn't matter if they do, it's my right to be as loud as I want.
0.33%
Well, they may be loud, but car stereos are too, so that makes it ok.
0%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe Loud pipes make you safer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Do you believe Loud pipes make you safer

ORIGINAL: Dinger

Anyone behind me will know I'm there. But that's not where the danger is.
Exactly... That's the problem. Unless anyone has their tailpipes pointing forward, that a$$-clown that'sfixin' to kill you up the roadain't gonna hear 'em.

I know I've been startled way too many times with a bike creeping up behind me on the freeway to trust that loud exhausts will do me much good in a lane-change collision. I've also known too many people with loud pipeswho got thumpedbecause some jerk in a car or truckswapped lanes without looking. As for tractor trailers... forget it. They ain't gonna hear you 'till your beside the cab, if even then. If you're already beside 'em when they hear you, then it's too late.

If loud pipes were statistically proven to prevent accidents,insurance companies would be asking what kinds of pipeswe allhave before they write the policy.

I'll say again that I am no goodie-two-shoes prude. I happenlike the sound of good throaty exhausts on motorcycles as long as they're not straight pipes. (those annoy me) I'm just not gonna trust 'em to do anything for me in terms of safety.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: John TN

ORIGINAL: CraigC

I believe they do. Regardless of what some will say about actually hearing the sound coming from behind. Low frequencies, like the exhaust note of a rumbling V-twin, are omnidirectional. Low frequencies also penetrate. Personal experience from both sides, they DO hear it.

There's also never a definition of what LOUD really is whenever these discussions come up. You may have people aruging back and forth when they actually would agree on a case by case basis. What is "loud"? I just assume we're talking about anything that makes more noise than stock mufflers. Some people may think drag pipes. What is too loud?
I agree with Craig,what is loud, most noiseordinances use a decibel number. I will say this, louder than stockis not necessarily obnoxious. My Rinehart's can be a nice rumbleor if I want to let a cager know he/she is cutting into my lane onmywheel or side I can make them bark, they will move back into their lane pretty muchevery time.

TheHarley horn button is in a unfriendly user spotIMO, might not be for you, but it is for me, but my hand is always on the throttle. Like saidthe bark from myexhaust can perk a deer up or scare a dog off of me that camerunning at me to chase me or bite me, I'd rather make some noise than go down and take out the riders behind me or hurt or kill my passenger.

For sure I use every resource of riding safe that I can both mentally andphysically, I always have my lights on bright, my spots on and I do pay attention, I just can't control whatothers do, so I consider my louder than stock pipes a resource and yes I have used them more than once to help ward off danger.

Ifpolice cars/ambulances/firetrucks, any emergency vehicledidn't have sirens that wail loudly (louder than a noise ordinance law)how in the hell would you know they were coming, just how many wrecks would they cause if they relied only on their horns, there is a reason they use loudsirens? To get your attention is why.

Ican't say louder than stock can save my life, as that noise could never give me CPR, but it sure can get attention of otherswhen needed that might helpkeep me out of harms way.
Yes sir! What he said!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
D6CS
Tourer

Yes, I have ridden some quiet bikes and I do get a lot more attention with the decibles.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Diver
Cruiser

I always been told the key to keeping me alive and to think that I am invisiable to everyone on the road and if load pipes makes me more noticeable then my answer is yes. personally I don't see what the big deal is dump trucks, 18 wheelers and a lot of desiel trucks are loud as hell
and no one complains about them

Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In town I think they make a difference, on the HWY - only if your next to them.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bump for any new members wanting to add.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

Absolutley makes folks more aware that you're there. I've had folks start to pull out in front of me or move into me and a blip will stop them in their tracks while they look to see where the noise is coming from.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say yes....when you hear a loud bike what do you do ????

Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 PM
zimman20
Tourer

Yes

Quick Reply: Do you believe Loud pipes make you safer