General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
42.95%
No
21.31%
Yes, but I would run them even if they did not.
28.20%
No, but I want to run them because they sound cool
7.21%
Doesn't matter if they do, it's my right to be as loud as I want.
0.33%
Well, they may be loud, but car stereos are too, so that makes it ok.
0%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe Loud pipes make you safer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you believe Loud pipes make you safer

I believe they do. Regardless of what some will say about actually hearing the sound coming from behind. Low frequencies, like the exhaust note of a rumbling V-twin, are omnidirectional. Low frequencies also penetrate. Personal experience from both sides, they DO hear it.

There's also never a definition of what LOUD really is whenever these discussions come up. You may have people aruging back and forth when they actually would agree on a case by case basis. What is "loud"? I just assume we're talking about anything that makes more noise than stock mufflers. Some people may think drag pipes. What is too loud?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote yes, but would run them anyway. I have pulled in the clutch and cracked the throttle twice with successful results to keep one cager from pulling over on me and another from pulling out in front of me.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,I have noticed cages yielding more for me than they did before I got new pipes. In the pre-dawn darkness, I've noticed the deer heads go up way before I get to them and they head for the brush.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[sm=deadhorse.gif] Nope, but they sure sound cool. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Bear64

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

Do they?
No, defensive riding saves me more then loud pipes, when you got some hip-hopper listening to his radio as loud as it will go, do you really think he hears you?? no, all that crap about loud pipes save lives is just that, Crap..even I get sick of hearing them and I have S/E on both my bikes. of course when I was younger and dumber I had straight pipes on all my bikes, but now I know all they really do is **** people off..get real, all us with loud pipes are really going to pay a price for it..right now they are starting to crack down on them, not just at the city and state level, but federal level also..so we need to cool it, noise for noise is just like a small child, screaming for nothing, its just loud noise.Loud Pipes **** people off!!! you go to all the work of Charity runs and doings for the charities, then you go ruin your good deed by tearing around town on a loud motorcycle..how dumb!! Save your replies until tonight, I'm going for a ride today..
Well spoken, Sir.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too feel they do save lives (or accidents at least). I know I usually give a little more 'throttle' when in the left lane (or HOV Lane) when passing truckers and also where on-ramps are. Seen way too many people here in WA who come down an on-ramp and then fire their lil Civic over 3 lanes of traffic to get directly into the HOV lane. I use my pipes for NOISE and if needed (watching them) my horn as well.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigC

I believe they do. Regardless of what some will say about actually hearing the sound coming from behind. Low frequencies, like the exhaust note of a rumbling V-twin, are omnidirectional. Low frequencies also penetrate. Personal experience from both sides, they DO hear it.

There's also never a definition of what LOUD really is whenever these discussions come up. You may have people aruging back and forth when they actually would agree on a case by case basis. What is "loud"? I just assume we're talking about anything that makes more noise than stock mufflers. Some people may think drag pipes. What is too loud?
I agree with Craig,what is loud, most noiseordinances use a decibel number. I will say this, louder than stockis not necessarily obnoxious. My Rinehart's can be a nice rumbleor if I want to let a cager know he/she is cutting into my lane onmywheel or side I can make them bark, they will move back into their lane pretty muchevery time.

TheHarley horn button is in a unfriendly user spotIMO, might not be for you, but it is for me, but my hand is always on the throttle. Like saidthe bark from myexhaust can perk a deer up or scare a dog off of me that camerunning at me to chase me or bite me, I'd rather make some noise than go down and take out the riders behind me or hurt or kill my passenger.

For sure I use every resource of riding safe that I can both mentally andphysically, I always have my lights on bright, my spots on and I do pay attention, I just can't control whatothers do, so I consider my louder than stock pipes a resource and yes I have used them more than once to help ward off danger.

Ifpolice cars/ambulances/firetrucks, any emergency vehicledidn't have sirens that wail loudly (louder than a noise ordinance law)how in the hell would you know they were coming, just how many wrecks would they cause if they relied only on their horns, there is a reason they use loudsirens? To get your attention is why.

Ican't say louder than stock can save my life, as that noise could never give me CPR, but it sure can get attention of otherswhen needed that might helpkeep me out of harms way.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:35 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love loud pipes – both on 2 wheel and 4 wheel vehicles. Do I have a set on my bike- no. DoI believe loud pipes will help my safety while on the bike? Not really and here's my reasoning. I also drive a big Dodge Cummins Diesel pickup truck and when I have my XM radio turned up and the windows closed with the AC on heading down the road unless you are right next to me with straight pipes I will not hear you. My opinion is that anything I can do to make me more noticeable (more light both upfront and out back) going down the road the more safe it makes me. Several weeks back I road with a group of friends (all makes of baggers) most with very loud pipes and honestly it is hard in a group to hear emergency vehicles etc that come your way when you have 10 or 15 bikes all running straight pipes or loud aftermarket mufflers. So it goes both ways. IMO this argument will never have a clear winner regardless of what the poll’s outcome is but man there is nothing like the sound of a well tuned Harley with a nice set of pipes going down the road.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Loud Pipes **** people off!!! you go to all the work of Charity runs and doings for the charities, then you go ruin your good deed by tearing around town on a loud motorcycle..how dumb!! Save your replies until tonight, I'm going for a ride today..

Well, I doubt the people that "receive" the charity would care how loud our biikes are. Their primary concern (as it should be) is that there are people willing to give, and notworrrying about how nice and quiet we are while doing it. I know where you are coming from, but on the other hand, in our society at large, loudpipes come in somewhere around999th in terms of pressing issues facing us. I'll be honest, loud stereos don't really bother me either. Guess I'm an enigma in that arena. I have bigger fish to fry than to worry about some guy's bike passing me, and me being able to hear his pipes. These crybabies in these bedroom communities must have all of lifes problems solved, and now they are working on loud pipes. Kudos to them.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 PM
JUSTRIDIN
Advanced

I got my dyna last Aug. & had people pulling in front of me often. I seemed like every day. I mentioned it to a buddy of mine who has been riding daily for a long time. He said make the bike louder. I drilled 2 1/2 inch holes in each baffle & it rarely happens anymore.

Quick Reply: Do you believe Loud pipes make you safer