General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about satin/denim paint...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 PM
chaselee
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lets talk about satin/denim paint...

Im thinking of painting the bike because the plsati dip isn't holding like like I had hoped. Ive had satin paint on a couple cars and had great luck but never on a bike. Im curious how well it does on the tank with gas getting on it. Does it discolor or anything like that? Please share your experiences. Any that would go gloss clear if had to do it again and why? thanks.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

I've had denim paint on factory stock bikes from Honda, Triumph and now Harley. I also ride with a magnetic tank bag on top of the tank. I have yet to have any problem with any of factory paint jobs from any of the brands.

That being said, I am also very careful with the care and cleaning of my bikes. Only on very rare occasions do I get gas on the paint, like a drop every 10,000 miles. Never an issue.

I also ignore the array of "denim" paint products and still use "Original" "Bike Spirits cleaner and polish" sold online and in Honda etc. shops.

That having been said, I can't speak on a consumer applied denim paint job. I don't know enough about paint to say if you can obtain and apply denim paint that would be identical to a factory job.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:47 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,939 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I painted my tank and fenders with a black, primer sealer that I can't find anywhere, anymore. For the first few years, I was regularly getting comments about my "cool, Denim Paintjob". Always made me laugh. It's finally starting to fade now and I can't find the same stuff on the market anywhere, so I'll likely be going with a satin black and maybe a ghosted silver flame... but that's a whole other deal.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 PM
FLSpringerSE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the blue denim on my old street glide...never had an issue at all with the paint. Just standard washing and occasional turtle wax ice application and never had any staining issues whether it be fuel or Florida's dreaded love bugs

Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM
chaselee
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't figure there would be any issue but have never had it on a bike. I had it on my last lil hot rod mustang, but there's not as much chance dripping fuel down the side of car as there is on the tank of a bike. It was sonic satin blue and I loved it.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 298 Posts

I have a Red Iron Denim FLS. I love it. The dealer threw in Simonizing as part of the deal, and its *supposed* to protect the paint a bit. A few drops of gas have gotten on the tank while I was filling up. I blot it off right away, and it's been fine.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Andrewwayne
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I paint cars for a living and i would suggest using a good clear coat with matte additive, you can control to matte how dull it looks and it goes over any color you want. It will provide protection from gas and uv rays too and will last longer than your typical hotrod colors.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewwayne
I paint cars for a living and i would suggest using a good clear coat with matte additive, you can control to matte how dull it looks and it goes over any color you want. It will provide protection from gas and uv rays too and will last longer than your typical hotrod colors.
What he said...as for rattlecan paint, try John Deere Blitz Black

Old 05-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 389 Likes on 258 Posts

Suggest you consider more of a satin than denim which has just a touch more of a shine to it. It mitigates the shiny rub marks that develop from your knees on the tank.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I had black denim on my Blackline and the ONLY issue I had was my right knee rubbed a small shiny spot on it. Gas never hurt it BUT it was factory paint.