General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley Davidson Helmets

Wish I had known that a month ago! Oh well.[:@]

ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

HJC makes the Jet helmet. I have a CL-33 by HJC. Same helmet as Jet but without HD logos. Paid $89.95. HD helmets is $150.00

ORIGINAL: Flying Pilgrim

I wear Bell shorty, but my son has an HD, and my wife has the HD Jet II, which she loves. I agree they are pricey, but if it fits and you like it, it is worth it. No one else had a lid with the features of the Jet II (3/4 w/ flip up shield). If I didn't have so many lids already, I would buy an ACC.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

as said, most HD helmets are HJC and you can get the same model for cheaper elsewhere.... but HD does have unique graphics on their line that makes them different... if you like 'em, get 'em.
Its not like you are going to get completely ripped off - I think my HJC full was something like $20 bucks cheaper than the same model the dealer had with HD branding on it.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want something a bit different, check out the helmets at www.designerhelmets.com <--- they have some truly . . unusual . . stuff.

I also dig Davida helmets for the classic appeal --->www.britishcycles.com/generic26.html

Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer

I have a Harley full face, the one with the little metal Eagle on the front. It sits on the shelf. For one thing, it's just not practical in the cold. You find out that as long as you are moving along, you do OK, but come to a stopand one breath is all it takes. Big time problems with ventilation and fogging up. My first helmet was an HJC, I still have it and it is superior to a Harley-Davidson helmet. The H-D is a foreign make, something like AGX, if I remember right. So I have a275 dollar mistake on my shelf that I bought thinking that ifit had the H-D name on it then it was going to be the best. I'm not knocking the half helmets and three quarters that H-D sells, but the full face I bought is a poor helmet design.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
lanceo70
Tourer

HD helmets = too much money for me. I would never pay $150 for a helmet but thats just me, I buy good DOT helmets off ebay for about 30-40 bucks.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD doesn't make helmets. The 1/2's you see in their catalog is made by KBC, AGV, or HJC. They also market their own w/o the HD logos.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
zimman20
Tourer

IME most dealers run clearance/bargain sales once or more per year...I got an HD half and full face for me and a full for LOML, each cost less than half of regular price at the clearance/sale. This particular sale was a BBQ/shindig with a band, etc. and they had helmets, clothing and doodads on sale. [8D]

Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 AM
BaggerSteve
Cruiser

HJC makes great helmets that work in the cold. Carbon fiber has a description of the differances between the DOT and non-DOT on their site. Seems to me it has to do with puncture penitration.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:10 AM
lawhd
Advanced

OK, so here it goes. I know ya'll don't need/want a sermon, but IF you make the decision to wear a helmet...why not buy the best you can get (that, of course, makes you look good.) Why quibble over a few bucks. When I say a few bucks...I mean it is a few bucks when compared to the cost of the bike, chrome, Stage I/II/III upgrades, etc. You buy it once, and hopefully it keeps you alive to buy that nacelle for your 95 FLSTN Nostalgia that I just cannot find anywhere! OOps, sorry, lost my train of thought. Anyway, I am not arguing whether to buy, or not to buy (that is the question), or wear or not to wear a helmet, but if you buy crap, go all the way crap and save ALL the money and wear a cardboard box with eye holes cut out (that, of course, makes you look great.) Listen, I'm an Orthopaedic Surgeon and if you would have seen what I have seen in the Trauma Room, you would consider buying the best as well. That being said...Yes, I wear a helmet (DOT Harley Half), but I am going to get an ACC next week. Carbon Fiber is the way to go when manufactured correctly. Thanks for listening (well, in your head.)

Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with "lawhd",.....I was wondering if I was the only one thinking that it seems odd for someone to quibble over something that cost less than $200, when you were willing to spend $1ok--$20k for a Harley, when , if you were wanting to save a lot of money, you could have bought a metric cruiser, and saved thousands of $$$. Just my 2cents....

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Helmets