General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

I think people suck that think windshields suck. Even if they keep it to themselves. What about fullface helmets? Don't even get me started.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fullface helmets suck lol

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care for a windshield either, causes turbance no matter which one i try[&:]

Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Lighten up a little folks...there are a lot of tongue and cheek comments here.

Anyway, I generally prefer to ride without windshield. Mine stays off unless I am planning on hitting the interstate. I don't mind 100 miles or so without it on the back roads. But out on the interstate and I think it really adds safety and reduces fatigue. Having said that, I really disliked looking through the windsheild and cut mine down to 17" from the stock 20" and now I can see over it. This IMHO is much improved. One thing I have noticed on the Softails is the updraft when using the sheild. I am going to pick up the chrome lowers for interstate traveling and when I run the windshield. I have read here on this forum they do a great job at cutting down on the updraft.

I rented an EG Classic out west back in April and did 1300 miles and did not notice the updraft problem like the Softails. The batwing is a big improvement. But the stock shield on the EG was a little to tall for me and if I owned one I would put the next size down on the bike. Other than that, the bike was a joy to travel on. I really didn't get fatigued at all.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just road with the low profile slightly smoked one in the picture below for a good 3 hours in light rain(some heavy tho) it was nice, I was warmer with it on with being totally soaked.

And its low enough for me to clearly see over it comes to my mouth/bottom of my nose, so I can duck under it if I needed too.. and in no way obscures my view.

It is detachable and I know I like riding without one cept when it comes to heavy cross wind freeway riding.

Soooo I wish it was fold up and stick in bag type of detachable then I'd just carry it around with me and use when needed hehe..

Since it was raining I didn't take any new pics of the bike..still need to be cleaned up

Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 PM
klee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Whatever turns your crank, but I like the windshield. After a 10 or 12 hour ride I don't feel fatigued or like I've been beat with a blunt instrument.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
volkdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never rode witha windshieldso I don't have anything to compare it too, but for now I don't want one. I have rode my bike 500+ miles in a day without a problem on the interstate. No problem with apes either. I'm sure I'll have a bike in the future with a windshield on it so I'm not against it.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: KeithB

I don't care for a windshield either, causes turbance no matter which one i try[&:]
quit trying H.D. ones Keith

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Too bad your opinion of the windshield is like that. Appearantly you don't do much cross country or long distance riding. I'b be willing to bet you've never encountered a good thunder storm, snow or even a good dust storm while riding. If you had, I'm sure you opinion of a windshield would be much different.

I wouldn't ride without one. I suppose if you just profile around town you can do it without one, but ride 10 or 12 hours WITH a windshield, then repeat the ride WITHOUT one, and see if you feel any difference between the two rides.

I had a windshield for 1 year, on a yamaha cruiser. It was perfect. It kept off the bugs, rocks, and wind with no buffeting. The bike was boring, but the windshield great. Of course I felt silly, riding a motorcycle and hiding behind a big hunk of plastic. Then I stepped up and finally bought my dream machine, this Wide Glide. Both quick disconnects I tried buffeted even my eyeballs.
I ride every day in all weather, and until recently it was 45 miles to work. Weekends I'm out as far as I can go.
Using a windshield is a preference, not a need.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wait until a cicada the size of a B-17 catches you smack in the forhead.

Rode for many years without one, now will not ride without one, personal preference. My young tough days are over, looking for comfort. Wife likes it too, calms the air a bit more around her.

Quick Reply: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.