General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 818 Posts
Default RE: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

I've tried windshields. Always got the head-vibrating wind buffeting that made my vision blurry, so off they came. As for riding long distances or in bad weather or conditions, I ride in all weather conditions except snow/ice, average 75 mph on the highway, and I've put in 700+ mile days with no windshield and apes. Works for me, hehehe...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 PM
JohnC88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

I hope you guys aren't reffering to me? If you are, stick it. I didn't mean to come across as being a "tough guy" or anything like that. I just hated the windshield for what little bit I had it on, and I think if I had left it on on a trip, I would've hated it worse. I run on the interstate at ~80mph usually, without the windshield..and I don't see what the big deal with the wind is. Doesn't seem to be too hard on me..maybe it's just me..who knows?
To each his own. But four miles hardly constitutes giving it a chance. You probably should have saved your money to begin with.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with TM, All my vacations are taken on the bike. Last year it was 6400 miles.
Even had to dodge a Twister, Windshield ended up in such bad shape we had to replace
it, just think without the windshield all the wear and tear would have been on us.
I wish I was a tough guy but I do like feeling relaxed at the end of the ride.
Not justifying should or should not, its only a tried opinion.
Thanks,

Saint

Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say windshields suck as well

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TM

I hope you guys aren't reffering to me? If you are, stick it. I didn't mean to come across as being a "tough guy" or anything like that. I just hated the windshield for what little bit I had it on, and I think if I had left it on on a trip, I would've hated it worse. I run on the interstate at ~80mph usually, without the windshield..and I don't see what the big deal with the wind is. Doesn't seem to be too hard on me..maybe it's just me..who knows?
The point is that while you have a distaste for a windshield there are those that do use them and like to use them. You can't expect to make comments like windshields suck and then have some *** tell everyone that windshields are for pussies and not expect someone that rides with one on a constant bases not defend the use of one.

Its just a bases for a useless argument that has no winner. Both sides are right because its a personal choice.

Thats all. I just put that crap out there in my previous post to get ahead of all the BS that was coming.
...that's why the title says "WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion"..and that's why I said 'to each their own'. It is personal opinion, and I tried to make that clear. Some people crack me up..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the uncalled for "cager" comment. It doesn't matter to me if you like them or not, because it's your choice. But as TM has said, a personwill defend their use when an asinine comment is made about them.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the windshield on my bike and tried it today for the first time, just to try it. I hated it. It didn't keep much wind off of me at all (that's what I figured it would do) and I couldn't really get used to looking over it. Needless to say, as soon as I got back home after my 4 mile trip with it , it was pulled right back off.
You won't think it sucks when a big black bird hits you a 70+ mph, then let me hear your opinion about windshields. The bird made a hell of a noise when it smacked into my windshield. Much better sound and feeling then smacking into your chest or head.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

I want a both a Nightrain and ElectraGlide in my Garageso i can go windshield or not depending on my destination and mood.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put me down for the no windshield. I rode with it for a while but just didn't seem right to me so I romoved it. I do put it on in the winter when the temps get down in the 30s but that doesn't happen too often. Anyway, no shield. My .02

Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
michaelbarry
Banned

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

Put the windshield on my bike and tried it today for the first time, just to try it. I hated it. It didn't keep much wind off of me at all (that's what I figured it would do) and I couldn't really get used to looking over it. Needless to say, as soon as I got back home after my 4 mile trip with it , it was pulled right back off.
You won't think it sucks when a big black bird hits you a 70+ mph, then let me hear your opinion about windshields. The bird made a hell of a noise when it smacked into my windshield. Much better sound and feeling then smacking into your chest or head.
DING DING DING I think we may have found a situation in which i'd rather have the windshield. ..but I think i'll just take my chances without it.

Quick Reply: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.