General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

its a HD sidekick.. that has stitching to match the custom tins..
its pretty comphy ive done 350+ miles on it at once it not too bad

I do 100+ miles on it regularly and have no problems, tho I might be going for a corbin soon,
id do a mustange but they are fully vinal(which isnt too bad good quality)
but I'd like to try a leather seat(even if it has vinal sides) besides they lock(the corbin ones do)
I dunno more money to waste towards my bars which are comming and thinking of wheels now heh
then maybe Ill compete in HD forums BOTM

Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Bluerose

I'm all for giving it another try ona longer jaunt. If your looking through the windshield it might be too high for you...I had to cut down the king sized nostalgia because it was too high. It does really cut fatigue on long rides.

I ride to work daily and I wouldn't want to ride without it just due to the junk that gets thrown at me (little rocks from the freeway are the worst). Mine is below my eye sight so I get a bit of the rain on my helmet but mostly in forward motion my torso is dry. I rode in the rain in Hawaii with the stock windshield and hated it because the rain covered the shield, I was looking through it because it was too tall, and I was having a hard time seeing.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:35 AM
jethro001
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish that I could get a bigger windshield than I have....definitely cuts riding fatique....plus bugs, stones....ect

Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HeritageBrian

I mostly ride with my windshield on. Just what I'm used to. If I ride without the windshield, I can actually smell more....not body odor, but smell my surroundings.....****, that doesn't sound right either....hell, forget it.

Like your ride, michael. Looks nice.
Thanks, man! ..sweet lookin' scoot ya got there too.

Vert, the shape of that seat is what I liked about it..it looks like it would provide a little back support. I have a bad back (section of worn discs and arthritis..not good for 19, eh?) and that's the only problem I have on the bike..lower back pain. I think if I had a little back support, all would be great..but I don't really care for the look of the backrests, but I may have to try one eventually, if I can't find a seat that provides a bit of back support.

Blue, I think if I cut the shield down a bit, I may like it a little better..so i'm probably gonna try this soon and see what I think then.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Mustangs and Corbin seats the vintage solo(mustang) and Corbins the Classic Solo are sweeet..... the back rests come out if needed...

You need to sit in one with a backrest.. lol they are so comfy.. I even thought the Corbin one my buddy has on his RK felt better than the mustang one. But the mustang one fully flips forward to get on easy, where the Corbins only tilt forward about 45deg(dunno why either hah)

Corbin's tops are leather vs Mustang all vinyl... tho then you got the Danny Grey heh I gotta find someone I know who has one(just to test it and stare at it)...I wonder if their BIG SEAT w/ Backrest if the backrest tilts or comes out. Oh yeah and LePeras.. some of them bare bone are cool, but not good for the back support.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

oh on the windshield thing.. windshields bother me in the city.. soon as I am in farm country, freeway(interstate), or some backwoods I want one on LOL.. You should see my front headlight and my jacket and my riding glasses right now.. they are covered in bugs.. 100s..little tiny..100s of bug splats..all over them from 2 days ago ride(all yesterday was raining) but the day before I went on a 100 mile ride with my HOG group...

Farm Land... tons of flying hay..the straw.. smacking at you, bugs..rocks.. then on way back same **** but me and a buddy took a kickn way back with some good twistys and roller coaster hills.. but it was covered in mini bugs.. 1000s of em.. and me with no windshield.. that day.. also had a nice air conditioning in my jeans.. big hole at the knee.. also past dusk by the time we made it back to our homes.. heh OH we almost ran into 3 small deer too.. wonder where mom and pops were.. hell 1 was acoss the road by the time we got to them then 2 jump out in front of my buddies Road King.. lol hah we had a long talk afterwards...happy we didnt run em over or them running us over...

Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i hate windshields to, but when i travel or comute to work 90 mles round trip everyday, its nicee to use, but when i get home it comes off, i only use it for highway and long distance riding. so i decided, when i do use it why not have some tunes to go along with it. so this is what i do when i have my windshield on. helps a ton, for riding through them boring states. i custom make them myself. p.m. if your interested in info on the windshield stereo case. jackyl

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/7315E9394541487FAF81648806E63489.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/BA69366CB99348868659DE22593EE8DF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/875D31328AEB452490783ADBF4506873.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vert, I have one of the LePara barebones...while it looks good on the bike, I can't stand it for a long time...pretty much just sitting on the seat pan[8D] I may try out one of the backrests, as they do look like they'd be really comfortable but I just don't care for the way they look..I may have to forget about that though, to be able to be comfortable.

Yea, I live in deer country and it kind of freaks me out thinking that some time i'm gonna pop around a blind curve and Mr. or Mrs. Whitetail is going to jump out or be standing right there ready to make roadkill out of me.

Jackyl, that is really neat. I'm one of those people who'd rather not listen to music on the bike, but that looks like an awesome item you've built there. It's a really good idea, seems like something you could probably sell a lot of. Have you considered trying to sell the patent, or having them mass produced?..or is there already something similar on the market that I haven't saw?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Sidehack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding with a windshield is like driving a roadster.