General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.

Didn't read all the other replies so this may be a repeat. I put one on the Low Rider, made a huge difference. I did have to move it a couple of time to get it at just the right height. An inch either way can make or break it. I like looking over it but if it's not just right the wind still hits you in the head and face. To me the idea was to get it just where I can see over it and the wind goes over my head. The next problem was the updraft grabbing my helmet straight up trying to yank my head off. I fixed that with a DOT Carbon Fiber helmet. Carbon Fibers are so thin on the sides that the wind doesn't have anything to push up on. The helmet made the second biggest improvement. As far as highway driving goes the windshield and helmet really reduced wind fatigue on longer rides a bunch. Really helps collect the bugs rather than the motor, tank and T-shirt. As far as the windshield around town going less than 50, no benefit noticed.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
CorL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long, long ago I had a windshield.

That was when I was sitting in front of mama on her bicycle.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:47 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Paris Hilton sucks, and there's video to prove it! That being said, I likes me windshield.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have never had a bike with a windshield...and don't have a problem doing without. Sure, the occasional bug or stone hurts..but not enough to ruin the looks of my Bob with a shield. Bobs,Sportys,and choppers just look goofy with 'em,imho. Maybe when i get old i'll get a bagger with a shield...and even then i'd probably take it off for around town riding...to me,bikes just look better without....but whatever floats yer boat!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:08 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Aside from the obvious regarding windshields, i.e., 'to each his own', I would just point out why I use one on the freeways, especially the ones that allow trucks: I have had the displeasure of taking one of those miniscule little whatevers [pebbles, etc.] right in my face at 55 mph. Let me assure you- it is not pleasant. And I imagine that if I had been at 70 or 80 mph, such little bits would go through skin. And I am referring to very very small pieces, ones you can barely even see. But keep in mind that no matter how small the piece, it picks up amazing velocity when pitched in your direction by the wheel of a vehicle going 65-plus mph. Anyway, even though it is 'to each his own', I hope you guys keep in mind one small variable, i.e., your passenger. If you are riding on the freeway at 55-plus mph and you happen to have a passenger, be mindful that if you get one of these pieces in your face, it will cause a real distraction. Just the startling effect is something. Also, when the piece misses you, it still may hit your passenger. Anyway, the only way I might consider going on the freeways without the shield on is if I and my passenger have the full face helmets on. [You may have seen some of those science channel shows on the space shuttle and how flecks of dust in space can literally destroy the vehicle with the velocities involved.] Anyway, just my two cents...

Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One would thinka windshield would prevent armpit hair from flaapping in the wind when you use ape bars.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
slack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of my dads was gong down the road he had taken his windshield off on that day. Anyway a bird hit him in the chest at 75 mph. It cracked his sturnum, almost laid the bike over. He never rides without a windshield now. Just a story to make you think, chest or windsheild?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 PM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

Been with and without, I prefer with. Besides, be hard to hear the stereo or use the lighter to light a smoke.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

You need to give it more time or adjust it too fit your, most pepes love it, me included.
ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

Put the windshield on my bike and tried it today for the first time, just to try it. I hated it. It didn't keep much wind off of me at all (that's what I figured it would do) and I couldn't really get used to looking over it. Needless to say, as soon as I got back home after my 4 mile trip with it , it was pulled right back off.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, it looked like rain before I left the house today..so I figured i'd give it another try just for you all. Tried it..got about 3 minutes down the road, and the downpour came. I still hate it. It kept some rain off of me, but not enough that it's worth having the thing on the bike, in my opinion. The trip this time was longer, by the way..about 40 miles or so. I guess a windshield is just not my cup o tea...

Quick Reply: WINDSHIELDS SUCK in my opinion.