General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Graphics and decals

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005 | 01:27 PM
mayday
|
Cruiser
Default Custom Graphics and decals

Anyone have any experience with these types (see link) of graphics. Seems like a cool option rather than spending the "big" bucks for a custome paint job. I was wondering about the ease of application and durability.

www.ihotrod.com

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2005 | 02:05 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: Custom Graphics and decals

I think they'd look pretty cool as long as you shot about 5 coats of clear over them.

Old 10-10-2005 | 03:48 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

HI TONY,

LET ME TELL YOU, VINYL DECALS HAVE BEEN AROUND A LONG TIME. WE,IN THE CAR BUSINESS, USED TO DRESS UP TRUCKS WITH THOSE KIND OF STRIPES AND DECALS ALL THE TIME. THEY ARE CHEESEY AND LOOK CHEAP. I DO NOT RECOMEND THEM. IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE THEM A TRY YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED TO SPRAY CLEARCOAT OVER THEM SO THEY DO NOT PEEL OFF AS MENTIONED ABOVE

ALSO FOR JUST SLIGHTLY MORE YOU CAN PROBABLY FIND SOMEONE TO HAND PAINT AND CLEAR YOUR TANK WITH SOME KIND OF STRIPING OR SOMETHING.

Old 10-10-2005 | 04:22 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

If I'm not mistaken, the decals on HD's OEM tanks, unless they are metal are stuck on and clear coated. So, I think if you applied them to bare paint and clear coated, they would like fine. Understand, it will take several coats with wet sanding in between to get a smooth finished produce. The thicker the decal, the more coating and sanding.

Old 10-10-2005 | 04:27 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

I'm sure they've come a long way and will probably be alot cheaper than a custom paint job but I would have to agree with the otheres about a couple coats of clear overtop of them to keep them looking good.

Old 10-10-2005 | 04:28 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

PAT YOU MAY BE CORRECT ABOUT THE OEM TANK BUT THAT IS DONE AT THE FACTORY, THE VINYL THAT THESE PEOPS ARE SELLING I AM SURE IS NOT THE SAME AND THE FACTORY DOES CLEAR OVER THEIR DECALS. I DONT THINK TONY WAS CONSIDERING CLEARING HIS TANK, I THINK HE WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION HE COULD JUST PEEL AND STICK

Old 10-10-2005 | 04:41 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Scott, I agree, a peel and stick without clear coat would look like a peel and stick without clear coat, not too great. And, like you said, it wouldn't hold up under road conditions.

I repainted a tank and used an HD decal and it was fine but it took a lot of clear to get it smooth. I'm thinking vinyl decals would be thicker and take several more coats. It would work OK and give a pretty good looking finished product provided you took the time to wet sand and recoat. It sure wouldn't look as good as a custom job though. Pat

Old 10-10-2005 | 06:56 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ill tell you if i can find the pictures, i will post my first bike. it was a yamaha v-star. i had a guy i knew hand paint,not air brush ,but hand paint the tank and fenders. you would be shocked at how well it came out. i only paid him 500 bucks, mainly cause i gave him lots of work but he is awsome. he painted a wolfs head with a backround scene on the tank and a dreamcatcher on the rear fender and a couple of feathers on the front fender. he did clear it when he was done but it looked awsome. ill have to try to find the pics.

Old 10-10-2005 | 08:29 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

mayday,

one of the things you should consider is how thick is the vinyl, and if has a laminated clearcoat how thick is that, anything over 3 mil thick is extremly hard to clear over. if your going to go this route, maybe you should ask if you can get it with out the laminate, then you could have a better chance of clearing the sheetmetal and not having that pesky raised look over the vinyl. another thing is if your not experienced at applying decals, find someone to give you a hand, a sign shop. putting decals on a rounded serface can be tricky. they look awsome, good luck!!

Old 10-11-2005 | 11:27 AM
mayday
|
Cruiser

Thanks guys........lots of good advice and things to think about. I did check on the thinkness and they indicated 2 mil. Another site I've been checking on is below. Making all these plans for the winter "mods".....hopefully the money holds out and the wife is understanding..

Thanks again......

www.purpleharley.com