General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Safety Training

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Professor
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Rider Safety Training

I want to find a good motorcycle safety course for me and my son. Both of us are very experienced riders, but all those years of riding have probably prodcued some bad habits. I've heard differing opinions about the HD RE course. Are there schools we can attend? I know about MSF. I'm looking for other alternatives.
[sm=usa.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 03:47 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rider Safety Training

Some of the local Harley shops offer the Rider's Edge course. It's quite a bit more expensive than the MSF course and covers the same material. I'd suggest the MSF course if available.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:56 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just take the MSF course. Is there any reason your looking for an alternative to it?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I was a new rider and I took the MSF basic rider course 2 weeks ago, after I passed the class I got on my heritage classic and took a drive thru some windy mountain roads with a friend and felt completely comfortabe and have had no trouble as of yet.

Id highly recommend the class, only trouble is that by now alot of the classes will be filled and you will have to wait, I had a 3 1/2 week wait

Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have rode a bike of some kind (street and dirt)since I was 13 years old - 37 years.4 years ago I thought it would be good idea to get my motorcycle endorsement on my DL (since afterall it is required to ride a scoot here in FL)so I decided to take the MSF class they offer here throught the FL Safety Council (then I wouldn't have to take the drivers test for the DMV DL endorsement - just go in show them theMSF card and WAM you get the endorsement on your DL). Yeah, most ofthe classwas boring and we had some real winners in the class but it was worth it. Even after 37 years of riding I still learned a few things. It was a good refresher and we had to watch some films of bike wrecks which reminded me what could happen if I got careless.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

My wife just graduated from the HD Rider's Edge class. She loved it. The instructors were very professional and very encouraging to all the students. She talked it up so much that I'm taking it at my earliest convenience.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
1200babe
Tourer

Don't know where you are located but look in to the Ride Like a Pro courses. Also often times local Goldwing chapters put on safety and riding skill play days in which you can learn a lot. They are often free or very inexpensive for the skills you will gain. ( if you are already licensed and just looking for some additional skill building). If you need to get licensed you most likely will have to go through the MSF or just ride a lot and spend time at the DMV practicing the skills test course.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
myzen
Road Captain

Try here, it was a good class. Very difficult but well worth it.

http://www.msumotorcycletraining.com/msupage6.htm

Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Professor, Go to the MSF website and look for the Experienced Rider's Course (ERC) in your area. I have 35 years experience on various bikes on and off road, but this course really sharpens you up and weeds out the bad habits. I just completed mine and it was a blast. It's just what your looking for. Get the Ride Like a Pro videos too. www.ridelikeapro.com These are excellent. The video also comes with a pamphlet that shows you how to set up your own practice course. Mention to them that you heard about it on HD Forums and they will give you a break on the price or drop the shipping charge.