General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 New Piece of Gear You Didn't Know You Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 785 Likes on 385 Posts
Default 7 New Piece of Gear You Didn't Know You Needed

7 New Piece of Gear You Didn't Know You Needed
by Kevin Bitter

Old 05-02-2017, 02:59 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I have a wallet, jacket and gloves. The rest...not needed.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:04 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

^^^ what he said......wallet goes INSIDE pocket on the leather jacket.....never falls out

The following users liked this post:
toppy (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:16 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,914 Likes on 2,438 Posts

What another waste of band width from the CCE - This article was total crap. As a journalist, I'd rather write for free and contribute then suck a paycheck on garbage. He should give his check back for this POS.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts
toppy (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:24 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

OP should invest in some Kevlar underpants gear for the way this thread is bound to go.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Nickatnyt (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

I'll admit that the Sena is pretty damn useful for me. Like a GPS, I swore it off for years; then I tried it.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:48 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,712 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Here are a few pieces or gear that I did not need as a young man but I love them now.
Banditware bandana - The slot may be funny looking, but this is one comfortable face protector and I use it well into winter for the cold, but mostly when touring as a sun and bug in mouth protector
Waterproof motorcycle boots - Pouring rain and dry feet. This first time I used my Bates Tahoes all day in a downpour, I had to ask myself, why did I wait so long. In the past I had put plastic bags inside my boots, man was I doing it the hard way.
Hwy bar lowers. I have Desert Dawgs, but I don't think brand matters. They snap on or off, keep wind, weather, rocks and birds and small animals off your legs. The added protection is wonderful.
Handguards - Added National Cycle handguards to my Harley after having them on an adventure touring bike...wow, now I am comfortable in light gloves year round. Plus I have dry gloves in the rain and my heated grips work 500% better. I enjoy watching big nasty bugs and rocks bounce away harmlessly. I love them. These were the only ones available years ago, since then I seen some really cool new ones.
Dew rag - Actually, first one was given to me riding in Montana as a gift from another rider. It was HOT. I started using it for the hea. I'd wet it and it cool down the noggin. It worked great but dries pretty fast at 100F. But then I noticed it kept my helmets clean. So today, it is worn to keep my helmets fresh as a daisy..well better.
Gel neck band - The first time I rode across the scablands at 110F with a gel neck band (about $ 3.00) I could not believe the difference. It kept my neck cool and blood flowing up or down cool. I bought it at a fair. If you have not tried one yet, try it.
Gloves - I never took gloves seriously, just used leather work gloves until a friend gave me a pair of Watson Knuckle Dusters. Great cool weather gauntlet gloves. Then at the opposite end of the spectrum, I found a Harley perforated super light flexible leather summer glove. This one is not longer made, but it was basically seamless. Most comfortable gloves for hot riding. Between these two pair, a my Gerbings Heated gloves, I can go anywhere at anytime short of ice or snow on the road.
Sheepskin - Alaskan Sheepskin. Warm in winter, cool in summer. I don't know how the sheep does it, but it makes for a happy **** for me.

So there CCE, I did not even have to read your lame attempt as I got my ride figured out and as I seen here before, the only joy in your articles are the riders who post real experiences. I'd make a bet, most do not even have to read you article, cause they can read the title and do it better.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,311 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I've used the National wind deflectors for years and I leave them on my bike year 'round and combined with either heated grips or heated gloves they're fantastic.

I also have rain boot covers (gators/gaiters, rubbers) or whatever y'all want to call them and they're one of the best investments that I've ever made. Just be sure to put them on, then put your rain pants over them and your feet (and boots) will thank you after a day of riding in the rain.

One other item that I would highly recommend for cool weather riding is a leather, fur lined, zip-up neck "dicky". You put this thing on before your vest or jacket and zip it up and it does a great job of wind-proofing your neck!

As I get older the cold effects me much more than it once did and now I'm a fan of heated gear or anything that keeps me warm and dry. I have heated grips, heated seat, heated gloves, heated jacket liner. No heated pants yet but so far my leather pants along with the heated seats are doing the job for me.

One other item (actually two) that I've found very beneficial (in hot weather) is the H-D "Circulator" seat and backrest covers.
These items keeps you butt and back dry on those hot, humid rides. They're a bit pricey but preventing "monkey butt" is priceless!

Quick Reply: 7 New Piece of Gear You Didn't Know You Needed