General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas in my oil tank!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM
tuekwik4u
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas in my oil tank!!!

Need some help! Gas ends up showing up in my oil tank on my 2003 Heritage, took off the carb, cleaned it, tested the float by blowing into the fuel inlet as I raised the float by hand it it was working fine. Drained the oil, filled up with new oil and started her up. Almost instantly fuel was going straight thru and filling up my oil tank once again???? WTH???

Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,902 Likes on 2,431 Posts

If this was my bike - I dont think we're gonna find this answer in the repair manual.. Better call Saul..

Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

yrs ago (1973)on my 72 Ironhead I didn't shut off the gas one time at work one morning and when I went to lunch I had gas running out of my muffs...but I don't remember it filling up the Oil tank????

here's some links you might read through to find some help..!!
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...l+harley&spf=1

Old 04-28-2017, 07:28 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Common culprits. Petcock, floats and float bowl valve, rings.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 AM
tuekwik4u
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far all has checked out. Petcock functions cause this carb is vacuum fed not gravity fed. I removed the float bowl and opened the petcock to on position and no fuel comes out. As I stated in my initial thread, I tested the float by blowing into the fuel inlet and raising the float by hand and it would shut off. I just can't figure out how quickly the oil tank started to fill up, like fuel was going directly thru the cylinder and straight to the oil tank...... I'm lost on this one.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tuekwik4u
So far all has checked out. Petcock functions cause this carb is vacuum fed not gravity fed. I removed the float bowl and opened the petcock to on position and no fuel comes out. As I stated in my initial thread, I tested the float by blowing into the fuel inlet and raising the float by hand and it would shut off. I just can't figure out how quickly the oil tank started to fill up, like fuel was going directly thru the cylinder and straight to the oil tank...... I'm lost on this one.
Do the floats actually float? Meaning, are they leaking and are now full of fuel. Take the carburetor off and adjust the float level the correct way.

Dan

Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Does she run fine when you started her up? How did you find out that gas was going into your oil tank?

Can it be possible that a vacuum line got mixed up with the oil vent line or return hose to the oil tank?

I doubt that if you had a cracked head or block that it would fill up your tank that quickly. I suspect vacuum is sucking gas into the oil tank. First think that I would do is check the lines to make sure they haven't been crossed.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:18 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Even if the fuel was going through the carburetor, the intake manifold, the heads and the piston rings, how would fuel get into the oil tank? This does not make much sense to me.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:01 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,902 Likes on 2,431 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
Even if the fuel was going through the carburetor, the intake manifold, the heads and the piston rings, how would fuel get into the oil tank? This does not make much sense to me.

exactly my thought

Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,747 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Fuel could get past the rings, and it often does. But not in the amounts spoken here.
Has sabotage been ruled out?

Quick Reply: Gas in my oil tank!!!