General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about cams...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 AM
roadhoggjr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Question about cams...

Hello everyone, i realize there is a better place to post technical questions like this but i'm still in the "probationary period" i suppose and can not post anywhere else.

That being said, i'm wanting to do a cam swap on my 08 Heritage softail and i'm looking for advice. In the future (hopefully this winter) i will be doing the S&S 106 big bore kit. Until then, i would like to go ahead and upgrade my cams. I'm looking for low to mid range torque improvement. I'm also wanting a cam that will be beneficial in both 96ci and 106ci top ends. I really like the specs on the Woods 777 Cam, how well would it perform in both applications? I really don't want to do any head work, i'm fine with changing valve springs but i don't know any machine shop near me that i trust to port them. Another deciding factor for me would be if i could do these upgrades gradually with an auto tuner or would i be better off doing everything at once and have it dyno tuned?

So to summarize my questions are:
1. Best cam for a 106 kit (for low to mid range torque)
2. Would that cam work well in the stock 96 configuration
3. Is it worth doing the cam swap before Jugg swap?
4. Dyno Tuning vs a quality Autotuner

Thank you in advance, and have a blessed day!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Op,

i am a big woods cam fan, but 777s in a 96, no way. In a 106 with some compression, sure.

my advice, match the components, do it correctly and do it all at once. which means dyno not autotune

Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

This is all you need to know.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,902 Likes on 4,970 Posts

Originally Posted by greggreen
This is all you need to know.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/
I second that, they will set you up with a complete matched parts kit, and a tune that will make your bike better than you thought, for a price that you will be hard pressed to beat. Machine work is excellent, and you get everything done, all at once. downtime is minimized. I am a pro mechanic, and when I get a customers bike that wants to do upgrades, I always direct them th these kits, They are really easy to work with, have a tech line, and are of high character. I would say look no further. Put your mod on hold until you can do it all at once, and start out with going thru it only once. Its fun to do, but it starts to such the second or third time thru taking old stuff apart, just to do a mod you should have done the first time. At least thats how I look at it

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 PM
roadhoggjr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, for the most part I knew better than try to do it one piece at a time style. But my buddy just always has to rub it in my face that his 06 softail is faster than mine.

Would you guys suggest the Fuel Moto 107 kit over the S&S 106 Kit and why? I would like to run about 10.25 to 1 would i need the carillo pistons for that ratio? This will most likely be on pump gas (93 octane where i live) but i could also run VP110 that's what i like about the power vision, i could auto tune multiple files for what fuel i want to run and flash them whenever needed. Now i'm off topic

I really appreciate all the help, this forum is already my favorite!