Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet speaker recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:15 PM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Helmet speaker recommendations

So I have been using a sena smh5 system for the last couple of years and other than the tinny sound from the speakers...have been pleased. Easy set up and no issues with blu tooth connectivity. Just wanted to get opinions on alternatives for speaker quality. Is the sena 10 or 20 much better (even a little bass would be an improvement). Or any other options that you would recommend? Thanks!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I've been chasing the idea of listening to tunes, without riding a bagger, for decades. I started with a WalkMan and headphones, in the 80's. I've tried 8 dollar helmet speakers and units that are north of 50 skins. They're all within 2% of each other. I don't like earbuds, because helmet speakers can actually allow some surrounding, danger-warning sounds, pass. Plus, earbuds are illegal in my state. Helmet speaker laws, can be argued.
The best speakers I've used, and still do, are from a set of re-purposed KOSS KSC75 headphones. Easy to dismantle and adopt to a helmet. Do a Google.
Amazon Amazon

Also, I use an in-line amplifier between my MP3 player/phone and the helmet. The amp I use has been discontinued, but this, is similar:

Amazon Amazon
I also tried Boost-a-Roo amps. Although less expensive, they're unreliable, more cumbersome and dirty-sounding. I've used a couple varieties from both companies, and the FiiO units beat the livin' Hell out of Boost-a-Roo:
http://boostaroo.com/store/Audio-Amplifiers/
Having an amp, is key. Placement of the speakers in the helmet, is important. Against the ear, works best. Do not expect Carnegie Hall, from any set up, but ridin' and rockin', without a bunch of crap on your bike, is attainable.
I use a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. That, or listen to your valve-train and pipes, and/or the wind.
KOSS mod:
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/02/...oss-ksc75.html

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 04-22-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: nunya and argo
Old 04-22-2017, 10:44 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

My Sena 10C is better than the old SMH10. However, I feel to really do better we would need better sound isolation within the helmet. In aviation there is a multitude of aftermarket helmet or headset pads to increase audio quality and cut ambient noise. If you really are chasing a good sound you'll want to consider a little modification to the lid.