Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rebuild no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rebuild no oil pressure

According to the manual I am supposed to loosen feed hose and idle until a couple ounces of oil comes out. Then it is primed. Problem is I am not sure I am loosening the right hose. I loosened the feed hose that is on the bottom going to the oil filter. Nothing is coming out. The oil pump is a year old.

Am I loosening the correct fitting? In this diagrahm I pulled #2

Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Can you prime the pump manually?

My engine builder told me to take the oil screen plug out of the top of my S&S oil pump and fill the pump manually from an oil can before starting the bike after the rebuild.....

But I also think you should loosen the line marked "1 Main Oil Feed" in the diagram above - the line from the oil tank to the oil pump - until you get oil there by gravity alone. That way you know the feed line is full and the pump is full. Then if you crank the motor with the plugs out, you should see oil coming from the pump to the filter.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

on my '88 sporty. I filled the pump with oil when I put it back together. I pulled the plugs and cranked the engine until the oil light went out. Only took a few seconds.
After it was running I visually verified oil was returning to the tank.
Make sure the feed and suction lines to the pump from the tank are not reversed.

To answer your original question #2 appears to be the correct one to pull

Last edited by BMyers; 04-20-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer

I'm hoping it's a pinched oil supply line from tank to pump.
sound right?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

+1 on what ADM said.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Can you prime the pump manually?

My engine builder told me to take the oil screen plug out of the top of my S&S oil pump and fill the pump manually from an oil can before starting the bike after the rebuild.....
there is no oil screen plug in a sporty oil pump.

Originally Posted by Wi_Duker
I'm hoping it's a pinched oil supply line from tank to pump.
sound right?
Yes, if you pull that line off the pump and there is no oil flowing, it's a pinched line or venting issue.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wi_Duker (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd pull the #1 line at the pump and make sure I had oil coming out there. If that's OK, put it back and pull the #2 line at the pump and see if oil comes out there. Maybe hook up a mighty-vac or similar and pull the oil through. Then crank it over without spark plugs a time or two, and you should have oil pouring out.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer

Oil line from tank to pump has a slow flow. Oil into tank is working fine. I'm draining the oil and it comes out a lot quicker than flowing into the pump. But then again it is a bigger line. Nothing is coming out of the pump to the oil filter.

So slow from tank to pump
good from pump to tank
nothing from pump to filter mount

Old 04-20-2017, 04:51 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

mmmmmK. So, maybe there's an obstruction in the pump, or the pump isn't assembled right, or the pump isn't turning. I also had one once where there was a tiny air leak on the input side, and since oil is a lot thicker than air, it sucked in teh air and not the oil.

Take one of those shop oil cans that has a long skinny spout on top and a trigger pump on the side. Stick the spout into a piece of hose and connect that to the pump input. Pump away on the trigger. Should see oil come out the ->filter outlet. This will also prime the pump really well.

That good from pump to tank, is that while cranking over? If so, there's maybe something wrong with the relief bypass. either that or the pressureside of the pump isn't put together right, but the return side is.

One of those things I could probably sort out in about half an hour if I was there, butit's hard to describe over the net.

The following users liked this post:
Wi_Duker (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer

Originally Posted by OlAndrew
mmmmmK. So, maybe there's an obstruction in the pump, or the pump isn't assembled right, or the pump isn't turning. I also had one once where there was a tiny air leak on the input side, and since oil is a lot thicker than air, it sucked in teh air and not the oil.

Take one of those shop oil cans that has a long skinny spout on top and a trigger pump on the side. Stick the spout into a piece of hose and connect that to the pump input. Pump away on the trigger. Should see oil come out the ->filter outlet. This will also prime the pump really well.

That good from pump to tank, is that while cranking over? If so, there's maybe something wrong with the relief bypass. either that or the pressureside of the pump isn't put together right, but the return side is.

One of those things I could probably sort out in about half an hour if I was there, butit's hard to describe over the net.
Great instruction. Will do. Pump is less than year old.

Quick Reply: New rebuild no oil pressure