General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that say "no more Harleys"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017 | 08:03 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by victory11
I really don't know the answer to that 72. I worked in parts at the time so I didn't deal with the everyday maintenance of the bikes. I do know I never picked pistons and engine bearings and that was over a 2 year period. But if it's made by man it will break. But I was quite impressed while talking to the head mechanic and that was 45 years ago.
I hear you. My point is that anything mechanical needs work. BMWs were known for spline issues and the only cure was religious maintenance. The motors were pretty bombproof afaik. I always found the throttle induced sideways torque a little off putting, but overall, the old ones were very good bikes.

Then there's the newer BMWs with a long list of known issues. That said, I've had newer BMWs and not had a single issue. And my 2014 SGS seems to be holding up well too.

Old 04-19-2017 | 08:33 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm perfectly happy with my 23 year old Softail Special. I like its simplicity and the corresponding fact that I can do all the maintenance and much of the repair work myself. It's not going anywhere.

I have been considering a new bike with the M8 motor as a "retirement gift" to myself. That said, $25k is a lot to consider spending with years of living on a fixed income looming ahead of me. Still, life is short, so who knows?

The following users liked this post:
mhawg (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017 | 09:42 AM
mhawg
Novice

Originally Posted by baka1969
9 suspension adjustments...At the push of a button. On the fly.

I would think if you can't find a comfortable setting, it probably doesn't exist on any motorcycle.

I'm looking at the standard GS over the GSA. It seems to be built better for urban riding while maintaining great touring credentials.
3 firmness settings on each setting of single rider, rider with luggage, and 2 up.
Overkill maybe but the difference in each setting is noticeable. That and the riding modes in the FI mapping makes it adjustable to any preference.

My 05 was a basic GS and I was very happy with it. Really little reason to upgrade. I fought it ever since the new water heads came out. We do an annual cross country trip that averages around 600 miles a day for 8 days straight. Last year coming across the panhandle of OK the final day I was tired and really wishing I had cruise control and better wind protection.... you know - being a *****.

So I came home and ordered a new GSA. I figured it will be the last new bike I buy at 61 so just said "what the hell". The wet heads are much better in performance and ride than the oil heads. The GSA looks huge but actually feels lighter and more nimble than the GS I had.

With everyone looking to upgrade to the wet heads, the oil heads can be had at a pretty good price. I sold mine for $6,500 and it was in pristine shape and still will be solid for years to come. I love the boxer engine, they have been around forever and are rock solid.

If you want to discuss GS msg me or go to the dedicated forums. Probably not cool hijacking a Harley forum for this discussion.

Back to the original topic:

I bought my Harley because of what it is. Basic, simple, style, no substitute for the sound and feel. I like the chopper styling. I've always had a liking for them but just never went this direction. Since I have bought it I am loving it. Riding it almost every day. I would have no interest in a high tech Harley. I was in the dealership last week getting service and they had a demo day going on. I looked at the new bikes and there was nothing that I even wanted to ride. I don't care for the baggers, fairings and blacked out look. If they do introduce new improved models I hope they still keep some of the old school people in mind. That said I can't see me ever getting rid of the one I have or finding one that suits me better.

Old 04-19-2017 | 02:51 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

I love my Harley but I bought a Ducati Diavel and can't get enough of it. It does everything so much better. Harley has to start looking at the other makes that are hi-tech, Check out the MotoGuzzi MGX. That is what a StreetGlide should be for the same price, actually a little less. It gets great reviews. Will I keep my Harley? Yes, I will, but there are lots of bikes out there that just do it better.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017 | 03:04 PM
victory11
Road Warrior

Harley has a great fan base and builds a good Harley. They make a hi-tech enough bike that most riders are intimidated and drag them back to the dealer for everything. I've got a lot of friends who own Harleys and I know of only one who will do more than change oil and hang do-dads. They're no longer your dad's easy to work on bike. That dog don't no more.