General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that say "no more Harleys"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017 | 05:55 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Either my mind/body soul tells me, "Enough is enough" or not wanting to finance over $30k bike is when I dare to say no more Harleys.

Thorey
Agreed, I am not paying $30K for a motorcycle. Not sure I would even go $20K. $15K is probably my max.

Old 04-17-2017 | 06:14 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Sorg67
Agreed, I am not paying $30K for a motorcycle. Not sure I would even go $20K. $15K is probably my max.
That's where I'm at; no motorcycle is worth more than 15K to me, Harley or not.

Old 04-17-2017 | 06:37 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

My brother and I had this conversation about boats. The bay boat is the do everything boat. I live in Florida and had an 18 foot bay boat. We took it off shore on light sea days, went flats fishing, skied behind it and went on family cruises. It was not ideal for any of this, but did it all okay.

My brother lives in Michigan and likes to go Salmon fishing in the great lakes. He has a 27 foot sportcraft. It does what he wants it to do and not much else. Do people Salmon fish on Lake Michigan in bay boats like mine. Sure, just not as comfortably as in my brother's boat.

I have four motorcycles in my garage at the moment. I think I would like to get down to one. If I do, I think I would want something more versatile than anything HD currently makes. But I would like something with some style and character.
Man can I ever relate to that!!! I was in the marina equipment business until 99 when I sold and quasy retired. During that time I had some 50 boats. From rowing skiffs, to Hobie Cats, to ski boats, offshore speed boats, flats boats, sport fishing to 40', then I started riding motorcycles. Discovered there actually was something I liked besides salt water, thought mountains and canyons were really cool, especially the ones west of the Mississippi! Finally in Hurricane Sandy made a mess of my home in NJ, mostly my decks, garage & my docks. My snowbird days were over, Sold the house, my beloved Grady 306 Bimini, gave away my 13 Whaler, and kept my bay boat (was in Florida anyway).. Never thought I'd ever be able to say, don't miss the waterfront home, don't miss the boats, but I don't...

I too have 4 bikes in the shed (see sig)... Maybe I'm getting old, but if could only have one, it'd be the RG. It's comfortable, all the bells and whistles, got enough attitude for me. After owning boats, a great comparison is motorcycles are chump change.

Old 04-17-2017 | 07:49 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

Everything is more expensive right now. Every time I go to Kroger for groceries, I'm shocked at my bill. It's not unusual for a new 4 WD pick up with all the bells and whistles to be over $65k. I decided a long time ago that I would never buy a new car/truck again. My vehicle is a 2006. I consider my bike payment to be an entertainment cost. Once my RGS is paid off, I will buy another bike, probably a Limited. I will keep the RGS.

Old 04-17-2017 | 09:47 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
I decided a long time ago that I would never buy a new car/truck again. My vehicle is a 2006. I consider my bike payment to be an entertainment cost. Once my RGS is paid off, I will buy another bike, probably a Limited. I will keep the RGS.

I do not finance cars or motorcycles. I have five motorcycles, but the most I paid was $4,500. Cars are '08, '07, '03. Just in the process of replacing wife's '03 with a '15 paying 57% of cost new.

But if I can figure out the perfect bike for me, I could see myself buying a new motorcycle so I could take care of it just the way I want from the first mile.

Figuring out the perfect bike is a tall order so it may be used bikes forever for me.

The following users liked this post:
HDMIKETN64 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017 | 10:44 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Yes, me too. The BMW R1200GS appeals to me as well. It seems to me that the Roadster would be a good start. Give it a more comfortable seat, more upright seating position, windscreen and luggage and you would be pretty close. Not as good off road as the BMW probably, but still a lighter, sport touring, commuter sort of bike with some character and style.

The BMW R1200GS is a great bike, but it is ugly with a capital U.
My bike has a Mustang seat, a backrest, an upright seating position, a windshield, saddlebags, 12" progressive 412 shocks, Progressive front springs and it's still not comfortable.

I'd have to spend a couple of thousand to really improve the ride quality. I like everything else about the Sporty. It's just a rough rider and I do not want a heavier scoot.

I like the look of the R1200GS.

Old 04-18-2017 | 09:30 AM
mhawg
Novice

There is a '17 R1200GSA in my garage. It replaced my '05 R1200GS. It does everything well. And oozes high tech. 5 riding modes, 9 suspension adjustment that are all electronic and adjustable on the fly. Data computer that tells you twice as much as you really need to know. It is incredibly nimble for any bike let alone one it's size. It is comfortable standing and riding to air out the butt cheeks on a long ride. I do 600 to 800 miles a day on the GS's easily.

But I love the Harley too. Old school, wind in the face (no windshield, took it off the first day I bought it). Simple, low tech. And the sound!! Nothing compares to it for that experience.

Different tools in the tool box. But if you held a gun to my head and told me I could only have one it would be the GS.

baka1969 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017 | 09:41 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

I have four motorcycles in my garage at the moment. I think I would like to get down to one. If I do, I think I would want something more versatile than anything HD currently makes. But I would like something with some style and character.
Triumph Tiger 800XC is the "do it all" tool.
Trackdays? Yup.
Touring? Yup.
Light dirt work? Yup.
Sport riding? Yup.
Muddy riding? Sure, I guess.
Ride around the world bike? Yup.

Attached Thumbnails For those that say "no more Harleys"-photo909.jpg  
Yamaharley (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017 | 10:32 AM
victory11
Road Warrior

I was one who said never again. Now I may have to reconsider. I've ridden a Victory Cross Country for 6 years and we all know what happened there. I'm 66 and I hope the XC lasts through my riding years.

Old 04-18-2017 | 05:15 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by mhawg
There is a '17 R1200GSA in my garage. It replaced my '05 R1200GS. It does everything well. And oozes high tech. 5 riding modes, 9 suspension adjustment that are all electronic and adjustable on the fly. Data computer that tells you twice as much as you really need to know. It is incredibly nimble for any bike let alone one it's size. It is comfortable standing and riding to air out the butt cheeks on a long ride. I do 600 to 800 miles a day on the GS's easily.

But I love the Harley too. Old school, wind in the face (no windshield, took it off the first day I bought it). Simple, low tech. And the sound!! Nothing compares to it for that experience.

Different tools in the tool box. But if you held a gun to my head and told me I could only have one it would be the GS.
9 suspension adjustments...At the push of a button. On the fly.

I would think if you can't find a comfortable setting, it probably doesn't exist on any motorcycle.

I'm looking at the standard GS over the GSA. It seems to be built better for urban riding while maintaining great touring credentials.

Quick Reply: For those that say "no more Harleys"