General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified Exhaust/Non DOT Helmet Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modified Exhaust/Non DOT Helmet Ticket

Riding the Mountain to Big Bear Choppers Event this weeknd in So Cal.,I'd say thousands of bikes converging on the mountain town and the cops were out in force.I was following my buddy with a new High compression build that wasn't liking the high elevation much so we were going pretty slow.A CHP passed us heading the opposite direction.Somehow he got turned around and was behind me in no time.He followed us for about a mile then lit me up.He asked if I was running straight pipes.I told him no that they were baffled (V/H Longshots ,TM Baffles) he had me start it up then he blipped the throttle a couple of times.He said he didn't think they were as loud as he originally thought,but wrote for them anyway,while he was at it he threw in the Non DOT helmet for good measure.He told me he could also write me for my altered tailight,but he let me slide on that.As we were on the side of the road I watched bike after bike go by with the same set-up or louder.I realize this a chance I'm taking with my pipes and helmet,but it still seems a little chicken sh*t to me.No complaints about the officer.He was actually a nice guy.I'm sure he was just doing what he was sent up there for.I guess Calif needs to fill the coffers a little to support all the leaches out here.No biggie on the pipes anyway,I've got friends who will sign it off.Thats it,just a mini rant I guess.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Modified Exhaust/Non DOT Helmet Ticket

Guess they've got nothing better to do. I wonder how many lowriders and hoopties they cite for safety and noise violations?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In alot of ways they're just like your average employee. They tend to do what they're told to do by their superiors.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:38 PM
nitetrain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He probably lost his wife to some Harley dude and was taking it out on you!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Todd T
Tourer

He probably just wanted a better look at that sweet *** scoot of yours. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM
h9ll
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Todd T

He probably just wanted a better look at that sweet *** scoot of yours.
No joke. My brother got pulled over at the tolls in NH by a State Trooper. He tells my brother he wanted to cite him for exhaust and bar height but couldn't as my brother is from MA. Then the trooper goes into this spiel about how cool the bike is and upcoming bike week. Basically, telling my brother he really just pulled him over to check out the bike.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

At least I am not the only one who has been ticketed for these two violations now. I recieved separate tickets for each of these last year. The exhaust was a fixit ticket so I put the stick pipes back on and had it inspected at a shefiffs inspection spot, and the helemt I went to court and the officer did not show so it got thrown out. I don't know how far from home Big Bear is for you, but if you want to deal with them as I did, you have to return to the "scene of the crime." Good luck. Sorry to hear that you git pulled over for a BSA ticket, but it is good to know that I am not the only one anymore...

Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

F.U.I.R.S. where exactly did you get pulled over?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

F.U.I.R.S. where exactly did you get pulled over?
We were just about a mile past Running Springs on HWY 18.Closer to Running Springs than Snow Valley

Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you said, you know you are taking a chance of a ticket. But it still gripes my **** that
many others went by that he didnt even glance at. I think if they are gonna bust folks for that they should be EQUALLY targeted. Thats the unfairness of it to me.

Here in GA. non DOT helmets are OK to wear but you have to have one on. Go figure....

ORIGINAL: F.U.I.R.S.
He said he didn't think they were as loud as he originally thought,but wrote for them anyway,while he was at it he threw in the Non DOT helmet for good measure.He told me he could also write me for my altered tailight,but he let me slide on that.As we were on the side of the road I watched bike after bike go by with the same set-up or louder.

Quick Reply: Modified Exhaust/Non DOT Helmet Ticket