General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Columbia, SC area information needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 AM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Columbia, SC area information needed

This maybe the wrong forum, if so Mods please move...

For anyone living in this area or knowing anything about this area.

I will be in the Columbia S.C. area the weekend of April 22 and 23 attending a seminar. I will be staying at the hotel hosting the seminar. The hotel in on Bush River road about 2 miles south-east of the I-20 and I-26 interchange.

I am wondering about the crime rate (motorcycle theft) in this area. My bike would be in the hotel parking lot all day and night while I attend this seminar and I want to be relatively certain it will still be there when I come out. I know there is always a chance a bike can be stolen. Nothing is ever 100% because if someone wants to take something they will figure out how to. So I am not really looking for guarantees. I am just looking for an educated, knowledge based, opinion of the area.

So, can anyone tell me is this a relatively “safe” area? Should I leave the bike at home just drive the truck and not worry about it?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Old 04-12-2017, 08:11 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I think that area is "relatively" safe for Columbia standards. You can check the crime stats on line but like any other medium sized city there's areas you most certainly don't want to venture into. I always stayed at Ft Jackson in a tent or under a poncho so I can't really speak to the city area of Columbia. I think you'll be ok there though.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm not sure of the hotel that you're staying in but I live in Charlotte, which is about 1.5 hours away.
Columbia does have a lot of crime; gangs; drugs and motorcycle thefts.

In 2015, my brother lived there for less than 6 months and then relocated based on these factors.

If it were me, I wouldn't leave my bike in a parking lot all day there but again, I don't know the hotel that you're staying in.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:47 AM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,659 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Park your bike at the entrance under the portico....you'll be safe there.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Mikew90
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love 40 miles away I feel as Columbia won't be so bad very busy if it were Spartanburg I would drive the truck. Columbia I would ride and enjoy.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:56 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you'll be close to 5 points it's more partiers than scum. get a bottom floor room and bring your bike inside

Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I hear there are a lot of jaywalkers too.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Sparky here
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are staying at the Doubletree you are safe with plenty of security and very well lighted parking lot. Other hotels/motels on Bush River, not so much.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 PM
quackattack
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky here
If you are staying at the Doubletree you are safe with plenty of security and very well lighted parking lot. Other hotels/motels on Bush River, not so much.
Agreed. That general area is not that bad. Been working around there for years. Your bike should be fine.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Well that will be in malfunction junction! Going from 20 to 26 or vise versa people are always in a rush and don't pay attention for ****! So be careful...

Now for eats.. you will be close to fudruckers, if you choose into the downtown area you have cowboy's, plus a plethora of other good little shops...

But yes Columbia has crime,gangs and theft, but its a drop in the bucket compared to Charlotte!

Quick Reply: Columbia, SC area information needed