General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the story of my new 99 ultra classic (super pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:46 AM
jkustomz28
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the story of my new 99 ultra classic (super pic heavy)

well heres the story on the harley that i picked up. at the end of the story there will be pictures and please keep in mind that the pictures will be in no order at all, they are just the pictures i took along the way of the "build".

so here we go.

i couldn't afford a goldwing so i had to settle for a ultra classic 1999 i got it for a steal of $5500 and had to put about $900 into it.

the bike had 31633 miles on it and word has it that at 30000 miles the cam tensoners give out causing a motor failure so the fix is switch to hydraulic cam plate. so you buy a new cam plate, adjustable pushrods, cam spacer kit, inner cam bearings, outer cam bearings, and cam bolts. but what harley fails to tell you is the $20 cam spacer kit you waste money on will not work for a 99 as 99 tc88 motors have a keyed rear cam as where 2000 and up have splined cams. they then also dont tell you that you can not get cam spacers at all for keyed cams. oh yeah and to add to that the only way to make everything work the way it should is to buy new cams that are splined. and some harley dealers will try and tell you that if you use the keyed cams that your motor will explode because the cams will come loose in the motor and fall out. hahaha idiots. so that leaves you going to the lathe to spin up the spacers you need. but yet they will sell you the outer bearings for the updated cam plate that works with the keyed cams. so no worries lathe it is.

well i got the cam plate installed with all the above stuff.

money was tight and it needed 2 new tires since i was so happy with the shinkos that are on the ninja and honda i ordered them for the harley. went with a set of 10inch yaffe classic bars. i was able to use all the stock cables, but the brake line is stretched to max will change it later after the honda sells, also the clutch cable is super tight at full lock to the right, again will change that later in the year when funds are freed up. bike came with a nice radio, amp and better speakers front and rear score. changed all the dash lights to leds. bike also came with led headlights and spot lights. later maybe winter when funds are cleared up i plan to do led switch backs and led bulbs in all the turn signals and brake lights with clear lens. i put new pads front and rear on. fresh oil castrol 20w50 full syn. redline syn primary and trans fluid. ngk plugs. also the bike came with super loud pipes not going to work for me. so i picked up a set of stock take offs nice and cheap. also i took off the bag guards that wrap around the bags. that left me with 8 holes to plug or to waste money on the supports in front of the bags that dont have holes. well that wasn't happening so went to lowes and picked up some chrome plugs for $1.04 each and used some clear jb weld to keep them in place. i used a hose clamp to shape the plugs to the tube. oh and word on the block is these bikes come factory with bagger shake where above 75mph the bike just gets wild and shakes everywhere. well on the way home from buying the bike i felt that so i picked up a rear stabilizer to fix that. problem solved. i lubed her all up and got her finished up. theres things like the cam plate and stabilizer that just blow my mind away that harley would let these bikes continue to be made without recalling them knowing full well that these are known safety issues with the bikes but thats why they aren't honda.

oh yeah still waiting on these cool little wind blockers that will bolt to the mirrors. as soon as those come they will go on to help with the cold at night and winter since the bars stick just above the fairing. also i transferred my gps and my ram x phone mount oh and my cup holder from the honda.

also i plan on putting leds all around the bike to be cool because i love led under lights. and i still need to get a throttle lock even knowing the bike has cruise control a throttle lock is supper nice when you just want the lock it down for a few hundred feet.

I'm sure i forgot some little things I've done but if i did the pictures will show that any questions on what i did just ask. this isn't anywhere near the build like i did with my honda but it was still super fun to work on a bike again. the honda hasn't needed anything in over a year.

now time for the pictures.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,300 Likes on 6,116 Posts

Nice, I wish I had the room and a lift to work on mine like that.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,045 Likes on 5,812 Posts

Originally Posted by jkustomz28

You could probably get a second job as a professonal oganizer.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:45 PM
jkustomz28
5th Gear

alright now i can post the rest of the pictures

Old 04-12-2017, 12:47 PM
jkustomz28
5th Gear

and here are some more pics. sorry i would post all at once but i guess because I'm a new member here my post have to be approved first

Old 04-12-2017, 12:48 PM
jkustomz28
5th Gear

and here are more of the pics i took along the way

Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 PM
jkustomz28
5th Gear

and heres more pictures

Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
jkustomz28