General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:49 AM
mendea2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?

Hi everyone, I know this is the million dollar question but this is my dilemma, I have owned a few bikes over the last 10 years. I've gone from a Suzuki C50, to a Dyna FXDX 2001, to no bike for a few years an 3 years ago I bought a new 2014 Wide Glide. I like the looks of the WG and enjoy rides up to 45 mph on side roads. Once I hit highway speeds things become more uncomfortable. It does not feel very stable and I added the HD removable windshield to try cut down on the wind but it made things worse. I have added bags to it in order to be able to carry some things, but I am still not pleased. I have been tinkering with the idea of trading it for a Street Glide but I am not sure if it is worth it and if I am going to get what I am looking for, more comfort on highways/higher speeds, less buffeting, more storage. Right now I am still paying on the WG and I am not riding much at all because honestly I do not enjoy riding the WG as much as I expected. Would the SG take me where I would like to be? Is it worth the extra money I will be paying? Remember I am still paying and the bike just sits on my garage. It is 3 years old and has less than 1800 miles on it because of that reason. I want to know your opinion. Thank you all!

Old 04-09-2017, 01:18 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I would take a WG over a SG any day, but that's me. I hate fairings, and trendiness. EVERYONE & his brother has a SG,

I'd go for a RoadKing. Better looking, less money, and you ain't got that gawdawful fairing rattling around in front. But that's me.

The following 2 users liked this post by dickey:
AJSHOVEL (04-10-2017), uncle kebo (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,750 Likes on 6,689 Posts

If you can't go past 45 on the wide Glide either something is wrong with the bike or you don't know how to ride / lack confidence.

A lot of guys on wide glides tend to ride fast.

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I agree with prot. It wouldn't be the first time on this forum someone claims they can't go over 30mph without a fairing. What about a convertible?

Dickey is spot on too. A road king is the only bagger id ever ride. Streetglides are like minivans, radio and all.

Last edited by Yamaharley; 04-09-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:36 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Figuring out what you want a bike to do is not easy. No bike does everything equally well. Each is a compromise. Before I got rid of a WG because it isn't comfortable on the highway, I re-evaluate how I prepare for the ride.

Do you wear a full face helmet with ear plugs? That will make the ride on your WG much more comfortable, even if your sense of fashion and coolness may take a hit. I guarantee I'd rather ride a WG with the right gear than a Street Glide with a beanie helmet and no ear plugs.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds like you just picked the wrong model bike. I agree with dickey. You won't spend as much money on a RK, it comes with a bigger windshield than the SG, its rear shocks give a better ride than the SG, & if you do any 2 up riding, your passenger will appreciate the rear seat. Plus, if you get a black one (the fastest color, lol) you'll still be able to find it at a biker event.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I currently have a Road King and a Road Glide. Would love to have a Wide Glide to ride for the fun of it as it would fill that niche very nicely. Sure would not give up either touring bike to have the WG but there are other bikes I want as well. Just need that money tree to start blooming...

Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 AM
billablehours
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

For years I made fun of folks with fairing bikes, rolling couches, geezer glides etc. I had an opportunity to get a great deal on an '07 Ultra so I bought it. Loved the fairing, stereo, cruise and storage. Didn't need the tour pak that often so I removed it and the bike was more nimble.

Sold the wide glide that I had spent a lot of time getting just right but was never a comfortable bike. It always felt like it was pulling my legs apart and would wear you out after less than an hour on the road. Fine for blasting around town but forget rides of any distance. Big clear windshields look like crap on most bikes in my opinion.

Now I have a street glide and would never go back. Sure it's black and popular. There is a reason for that. Go ride one.

Face it, Harley's are not fast, sporty or nimble. I have other bikes for that. My suggestion is go for the fairing bike and don't look back.

Here is my old FXDWG. I wish I had not sold it but just for nostalgia and not for riding comfort.
Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?-img_0132.jpg

The following users liked this post:
KW HD (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,110 Likes on 3,652 Posts

The fairing will give you more wind protection but is it what "YOU" want...Also consider Electra Glide Classic...might be priced a bit less than the SG...forget what the last year it was made...it has a tour pack, it's a bit higher than the SG.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

I went from a Heritage to a SGS and I'm loving it. I was amazed at how nimble the bike is and the way it corners so nicely. The stock windshield is there for looks only. I put a taller shield on From Long Ride Shields and I get little to no buffeting at all at highway speeds. You can go to Adamec's and test ride one for yourself.

Quick Reply: Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?