General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,318 Likes on 6,129 Posts

With 1800 miles on a 3 year old bike you should ask yourself do you like riding a motorcycle or do you like the idea of owning a motorcycle? Once you figure that out go from there

The following users liked this post:
SBRob (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 AM
mendea2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are so many people hung up on the fact that I have only put 1800 miles on this bike instead of trying to see it from my perspective. This is not my first bike, I didn't start riding yesterday. The fact is I don't like the way this bike feels, wether is a mechanical issue, may be it's the way it rides, may be is just me, the fact is, I don't like it and therefore I don't ride it. I loved the feel of my old Suzuki C50T and rode it to death, it was not a Harley, then I moved to a Harley on my FXDX, and loved it too, that I had to get rid of for other reasons ($$$$). Then when financial issues were resolved I got this bike, and again it has not been good. That's why I started this thread to see what people thought of the SG as a possible change, cause I'm looking for something I could probably love again and ride it to death. But I see people more interested in giving me a hard time with "may be riding is not for you", crap, just because I don't like the way this bike rides.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:13 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Try a Dyna Switchback...........Harley's version of a C50T.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Just because I love my WG doesn't mean you have to like yours.
Test rides, my friend, test rides!

Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,069 Likes on 4,335 Posts

I like the Switchback....never rode one though.

I'd say the C50T is a copy cat of the Heritage.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,020 Likes on 9,230 Posts

You asked. We answered. Buy a used FXDX and be happy again. Maybe you can find one with 1800 miles

Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mendea2
Why are so many people hung up on the fact that I have only put 1800 miles on this bike instead of trying to see it from my perspective. This is not my first bike, I didn't start riding yesterday. The fact is I don't like the way this bike feels, wether is a mechanical issue, may be it's the way it rides, may be is just me, the fact is, I don't like it and therefore I don't ride it. I loved the feel of my old Suzuki C50T and rode it to death, it was not a Harley, then I moved to a Harley on my FXDX, and loved it too, that I had to get rid of for other reasons ($$$$). Then when financial issues were resolved I got this bike, and again it has not been good. That's why I started this thread to see what people thought of the SG as a possible change, cause I'm looking for something I could probably love again and ride it to death. But I see people more interested in giving me a hard time with "may be riding is not for you", crap, just because I don't like the way this bike rides.
If you are unable to handle a light, nimble Wide Glide what makes you think a Street Glide will be any easier? If you just don't like it say so.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear you don't get much riding in. I've had a Wide Glide for a long time, and when it was the only bike I had, I rode it everywhere, still love it. Only when I started to do 2 up did I think something would be better. Bought a Road King and then several after, then on to Road Glides... Difficult for me sometimes to leave the RG parked and take the WG, usually only doing that because it needs exercise. I got spoiled by everything in the fairing, not that the bike is any more fun. The niceties on the SGS may get you on the bike for more than 600 miles a year.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:31 PM
greendragon52
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a WG for a few years, rode it from NJ to Daytona, and NJ to Sturgis and did not have any issues with it. I used a detachable windshield for both rides which made a big difference. I eventually switched to a EGC - wife rode back with me from Sturgis, she flew out, and complained about being uncomfortable on the bike after 4 days of riding and asked that I get a bagger for her comfort. Obviously she did not get any argument from me. I enjoy the EGC but at times I miss my WG just because of ease of handling.
As others have suggested try out a bagger and see what you think before spending more money on another bike. Another thing to consider on your WG is shocks. Mine was a 01' and did not have adjustable shocks. I switched out to adjustables and was able to set them to my liking and comfort.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

One other thing came to mind, I have 5 helmets and 4 I can ride with all day long. The 5th rattled all my marbles loose and I haven't been the same since. Buffetting, bobbling, shaking and all manner of torture, so,,,,, there's that.

Quick Reply: Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?