General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I never ever thought I would own a bagger. back when they were called dressers / garbage wagons, they were old man bikes.
last summer I bought a Street Glide Special and became a old man at 62.

My riding changed and it got to the point that I was in need of a bagger mostly to be able to pack for extended rides.

I traded in a softail deluxe, I really liked the bike, but without dumping $$$ into it, It did not fit my needs. If I had enough $$$ I would have kept it as a second bike.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 PM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My son's wideglide was more comfortable than my softail deluxe. And when the wife rode with me, not a good ride. Thats why i went to a street glide, now I don't notice she is back there. That's my excuse for a reach around.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:10 PM
mendea2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for you're responses. First, I wanted to make something clear, I said the bike does not feel comfortable at highway speeds over 45, NOT that I didn't feel comfortable riding above 45. I never had an issue with my other bikes I owned. They all felt comfortable at highway speeds and never had issues with that. This particular one (WG) feels that the front end wobbles too much when you reach 60 and almost uncontrollable after 70. Again I did mention that it's worse with the detachable windshield on. I have checked and had the dealership check the front end and everything seems to be mechanically good. I have come to believe that it was normal behavior due to the narrow front wheel. Thanks again. For all your comments.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:21 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

""It does not feel very stable and I added the HD removable windshield to try cut down on the wind but it made things worse ""

I am assuming making it worse means you were experiencing buffeting issues. If that is the case I would get lower wind deflectors. I never had much luck with windshields without lowers. The wind comes from underneath, bounces off your legs and rattles your brain. They can make a world off difference.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:53 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,020 Likes on 9,230 Posts

It's not the design of the bike. I ride 2014 Wide Glide it cruises at 85mph. No wobble or severe vibration. You must have a wheel balancing, bearing, rim issue. Take it to an independent. The problem is fixable

The following users liked this post:
back again (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:29 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought a 2011 WG in March 2012, and when I traded it in January 2017, it had almost 70,000 miles on it. I ran a detachable windshield and detachable bags, and had no issues running 80+ keeping up with the pack.

The front wheel "floated" a bit in fast corners or on grooved/grated roads, but once I got used to it, it was just the way it rode.

I'm planning 10,000+ mile road trips this year and in 2019, and more than anything else, I wanted hard bags that I could lock so I didn't have to carry everything into the motel every night. And yeah, I wanted a new bike. Sue me.

I rented and rode a Road Glide and a Street Glide Special, and rode the Road King and Ultra Classic on demo days. Ultimately it was the Road King that works for me - no fairing, minimalistic, and great looking. Plenty of powe, and with a $400 ebay tour pack, more than enough storage.

Take your wide glide to an indy, and ask him to put 100 miles on it - I'd offer to pay for an hour of shop time for him to ride it. The decide if it's there's a problem, if it's just the way the bike rides, or if it's you.

If you just want another bike to sit in your garage for all but 10 hours a year, buy whatever you want - and in three years, someone will get a nice garage queen at a good price.

Riding is not for everyone, and that's OK. I don't like hiking or rock climbing or crocheting, and despite what my wife says, I'm OK.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:05 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I traded a 2000 Wide Glide for an 07 Road King Classic and I am glad I made the switch, but the reason for the switch Sucked.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:53 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts

I have been riding for 45 yrs various bikes and enjoyed them all but when my SGS was bought I knew then I had found perfection foe me and I still have 3 of my last bikes in the garage still

Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Go rent a SG and put some miles on it, and see what you think. I have put 10K on mine this past year, and I would not go back to a non-fairing bike as my primary rider. I had a RK shield on my last bike, and the wind protection on long highway rides is not as good as my SG. I still have a stripped down Softail though, and it is nice being able to jump on a bike with no bags or shield. If you want the option of removing the shield, the RK might be worth looking at.
Couldn't agree more. Such different bikes in so many ways. You should get a day or two of riding in to really experience the SG before making the leap because it's a big one. At the end of the day, we ride because it's something that we enjoy. If you're not enjoying it, there's no point, so something needs to change. If the SG doesn't work for you, try the King. And if that doesn't do it for you, there are other models with a wider front tire and lower center of gravity - Heritage or FatBoy perhaps.

Personal note - I just sold my 2012 SG and bought a new RK...loved the SG, but the King just feels better to me. Nice comfy ride of a touring bike without the fairing - loving it. Good luck and enjoy the process of finding the ride that's right for you.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,751 Likes on 6,689 Posts

Since the problem is not you, then it is probably the neck bearing.

Quick Reply: Advice: Trade Wide Glide for Street Glide?