General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which route is better to Sturgis, Wisconsin or Iowa?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 AM
thirt8spl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Highway 20 in far Western Iowa between Correctionville and Moville will have a detour this year as they work on completing the 4 lane transition. I'll know more about the length of the detour closer to rally time. If you want to save my username and send me a PM later, I can provide more detail.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Labrador (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:19 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Well then, I think this says it all. Thank you for your honesty
North East Iowa isn't bad if you follow the river up into Wisconsin then cut across. Western Iowa through the Loess Hills is a good ride. You could take the east part of the state one your way out, and the west part on your way back.

The ride between the two will suck though. No way around it. Just boring and flat. And don't mind the smell of pig s**t. That's just the smell of money!

Originally Posted by thirt8spl
Highway 20 in far Western Iowa between Correctionville and Moville will have a detour this year as they work on completing the 4 lane transition. I'll know more about the length of the detour closer to rally time. If you want to save my username and send me a PM later, I can provide more detail.

Mike
Was just up there the other day and it's all shut down. That's a lot of pavement to put down. According to Iowa DOT that stretch is closed from March 30 - December 1st. http://www.iowadot.gov/us20/

Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,842 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
I had never heard of Wall Drug till now. I looked it up and it is a pharmacy museum and traveler's chapel? The huge rabbit with antlers in front of the building looks like fun.

From their website:
"One of the world’s most well-known tourist stops, it’s hard to believe Wall Drug Store got its start with something we wouldn’t even turn our heads at today … the promise of free ice water. But in fact, the Husteads turned free ice water into a million dollar idea with a little determination and quick thinking. Read Ted Hustead’s story about the genius behind what made Wall Drug Store into the road side attraction we love and celebrate around the world."
AND, the biggest draw to Wall Drug's... [drum roll please] - FREE GLASS OF ICE WATER!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,667 Likes on 12,023 Posts

Having done that point A to point B many, many times for work and play, I'll tos in my .02.

To me, between Chicago and Rapid City the riding, overall, blows. Big time. There is no east/west corridor that offers consistently pleasant riding. The 2 lane through Iowa varies between boring and choppy and boring and really, really choppy with gravel detours. I've done 14/18/20/30 and a bunch of other roads I can't remember.

On the other hand, I-80 is the worst of all. Lots of construction, semi trucks, and idiots in spades. Somewhat expedient, but I avoid it.

I90 is my choice. It takes you quickly through some pretty parts of Wisconsin and the road is in pretty good shape. It gets a little choppy in western MN. As mentioned, from Sioux Falls to Rapid City, it's pretty boring. But you can fly through there at 80 MPH. DO NOT speed. I got pulled over for 84 in an 80. They mean 80 and enforce vigorously.

If slower pace is your choice, take Hwy 20 through Iowa and then RHPAW's route through SD. I hate 18, even in Wisconsin, and it was pretty torn up when I rode it last Fall. Not to mention it's very slow going, so that's why I say to avoid it. 44 through SD is some of the most remote **** you will ever ride through. Pretty in it's bleakness. You have to watch the fuel gauge as there are some long stretches without service, and Premium is often not an option. But you come in on the south side of the Badlands and it's spectacular as is the MO river crossing. Lots of reservation land. You'll get hit up for cash at the gas stops.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Thanks again. I have spoken to the wife and we are taking a few extra days off because we'll be taking some of the side roads that you have suggested.

Initially, we were just going to get there as quickly as possible, but after your comments, we realized that the trip there can be as pleasurable as the destination. We are not sure which of your suggested routes we'll take. We are Googling each one to see what bed-and-breakfast, accommodations and scenic spots are on the way.

We appreciate your input.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,201 Likes on 2,685 Posts

One last comment. We rode out to Sturgis from Long Island last year taking 10 days, just me and the wife. We then spent 7 days in Sturgis in a rental Log Home with 6 friends. Sturgis was great BUT we had a better time riding there and saw a bunch of new places. We decided to do a southern route to change it up (our third time making the ride) so we went via I-70 to Indianapolis, St Louis, south to Eureka Springs AR, Kansas City, Grand Island NE then across NE on Rte 2 all the way to 385 North. Was a great experience for sure. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:50 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

We travel 14 through Pierre. We turn south and follow 14 rather than 34 the last 100 miles or so. Small towns break up a rather boring trip across South Dakota. Gas is available every 30 40 miles and the people at the small stations/stores are great.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If you just want to get there, take 90. The only thing I like about taking 90 is the view as you drop into Chamberlain as you hit the Missouri.

If you want some great riding, get to Beloit, and take the state highways North and West to Lacrosse. Rolling hills, lots of curves and some great views.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 507 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Take 20 from Rockford, follow 20 all the way into Nebraska then 385 through the black hills to sturgis......having been doing this route forever....20 through Iowa s pretty good but again its flat, same as every other road to get to Nebraska.
Funny how some people can have such a different opinion on the same road. I rode from the Northwest to Milwaukee in 2015. The return trip on 20 through Iowa was the longest, most boring ride I've ever taken with the possible exception of I94 through North Dakota. I should have tried Wisconsin but I try to avoid interstates when possible.