General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ted from Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Teddy1983
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ted from Toronto

Hey guys not sure what exactly is going on, but my right ( brake side ) of my bike signals do not work. I am getting light out of them but no flash and no signal in the dash. Does this have something to do with the module? Does the module control one side or both side. Like I said the left side works the right flashers are only giving me light no flash. Fuse is good also grounded it out purposely,blew fuse just to see if there is continuity. I'm stuck?

Old 04-02-2017, 07:53 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada. I would think a module would take out both signals. Sounds like a grounding issue? Switch the bulbs out maybe as a check.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Ted,

Welcome to the forum from central Texas. As a helpful hint, whenever you post issues with your bike, mention the year and model of the bike. This will help us know if you have a TSM, TSSM, CanBus wiring, etc.

First, did you do anything to the electrical system prior to the problem or could there have been any unintentional changes to the signal wires? For example, did you disconnect the battery or open up the switch housings on the handlebars for any reason?

On most bikes, the front turn signals are running lights as well so they are dual filament. The rears, if not run/brake/turn, are single filament bulbs.

Anytime there are turn signal problems where lights aren't functioning as they should, the first thing to do is check the bulbs. Look at the filaments. You can take the left side bulbs, if they are working correctly, or any bulbs that you know work and put them in the right turn signals. Do the signals work correctly now? You can also put the right signal bulbs in the left signals and see if the same problem is now on the left. That will help rule out the bulbs as a problem.

Then look at wiring. Bad ground? Short to ground? Bad bulb socket?

Post back with more info as you test or the solution if you found it. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:42 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 764 Posts

I think Bone Doc hit the nail on the head, sounds like you've got a single filament bulb instead of a dual filament in its place. Either that or the 2nd filaments have burned out. I would start there first and carefully inspect your bulbs, the giveaway is if it has 2 contact dimples or 1 on the bottom of its bayonet type connector body.