General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Neotec First Ride....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:08 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 1,759 Posts
Default Shoei Neotec First Ride....

Nice helmet ! Fits great, comfortable, quite.
Vision/hearing senses are a little different to the LS2 helmet I was using.
Takes an Old Man a minute to adjust..
But where did the damn Music go ! ha too quite, have to crack the visor to hear it. But I do feel much more protected..

Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

The Neotecs are tough to beat. I'm on my second one.

The following users liked this post:
CrBear (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,800 Likes on 1,423 Posts

How is the airflow and peripheral vision?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:48 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 660 Posts

I've had mine for about a month now and absolutely LOVE IT! It's by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. I have found that wearing earplugs greatly increases my ability to listen to the music from both my Boom system and also the Bluetooth speakers inside the helmet. The plugs greatly reduce the wind noise and allow me to hear the music much more clearly. I also purchased a Sena 10U that was made specifically for the Neotec. It fits perfectly and is a great addition to an already outstanding helmet. I'll keep buying them as long as they make them.

I really wanted a modular helmet for the convenience but also wanted a high quality helmet. That ruled out Arai since they don't make modulars. But I tried a few on just out of curiosity and the fit, finish, and overall impression was terrible. They just feel cheap and flimsy, the inner lining is uncomfortable on the skin, and they did not fit my head at all. Other than the SNELL rating (which many other helmets have) I don't get why people swear by Arai.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:53 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman

Airflow is awesome! When riding in cool weather I feel like I have a cold hand on the top of my head. The chin vent works pretty good and the exhaust vent in the back allows the heated air to escape. The aerodynamics are also exceptional and I don't feel like the wind is blowing my head back.

Peripheral vision is awesome too. Very wide field of view and the clarity of the windscreen and inner sun visor is remarkable. I'm very impressed with the features of this helmet.

Some folks don't like the size of them, but I have not found that to be an issue at all. The forehead area is built-up slightly to accommodate the sun shield inside without compromising structural integrity, and they wouldn't be able to accomplish such a wide field of view with a smaller helmet either. The trade off of size:features is totally acceptable in my opinion.

rauchman (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by rauchman
That was something I was looking at "Airflow". Although it was just a short hour ride, I did feel airflow and the head didn't seem to get hot. Which was odd as my hair was ringing wet after the ride. Although found after, the back vent was closed. Riding to Talimena Saturday (10 hour ride) so will know more.
The Vision is what through me a bit. Takes just a bit to get use to, at least for me.
But man... what a great Helmet. I had bought inexpensive LS2s for the last 2.
This Shoei is night and day better. I guess it should be for the price !
But loving it so far.

rauchman (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I've had mine for about a month now and absolutely LOVE IT! It's by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. I have found that wearing earplugs greatly increases my ability to listen to the music from both my Boom system and also the Bluetooth speakers inside the helmet. The plugs greatly reduce the wind noise and allow me to hear the music much more clearly. I also purchased a Sena 10U that was made specifically for the Neotec. It fits perfectly and is a great addition to an already outstanding helmet. I'll keep buying them as long as they make them.

I really wanted a modular helmet for the convenience but also wanted a high quality helmet. That ruled out Arai since they don't make modulars. But I tried a few on just out of curiosity and the fit, finish, and overall impression was terrible. They just feel cheap and flimsy, the inner lining is uncomfortable on the skin, and they did not fit my head at all. Other than the SNELL rating (which many other helmets have) I don't get why people swear by Arai.
I tried the Arai too, just didn't fit as well, and wasn't modular.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I love mine. I also have a 3/4 Daytona, and a Gringo S. I reach for the Shoei more often than the others, combined. I think I will retire the Daytona to coaching only (MSF coach).

My only gripe, and it is the same gripe with all f/f or modular helmets, is that behind a windshield, the chin vent is of limited use. Otherwise, it is chock-full of features that I will no longer do without...pinlock anti fog shield, properly sized drop down sun visor, great venting, etc.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Best helmet I've ever owned.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Zebrex
Cruiser
Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

I love mine, I dont like the cornrow look my hair has when I take it off. I have three stripes running across my head

rauchman (06-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Shoei Neotec First Ride....