General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Neotec First Ride....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

I am a loyal AGV fan... that written, Shoei makes great lids.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
Ya, cause everything YouTube post is 100% correct.

So why do you believe it's better, is it just because you have it? Lets hear some good arguments as to why you claim it's better than a Schuberth, I'm all ears, especially since I'm in the market.

I have a C3 Pro and while I like it a LOT, I don't love it, and will be upgrading to the C4 when it's released next month. Too many small flaws (mic boom in the way, vent slider on top popped off, SRC bluetooth system mounting is a PITA.
I've handle and worn both. The C3 Pro just feels cheap to me and the liner was very uncomfortable. The Shoei liner is extremely comfortable. You don't even need to wear them to notice the difference. Just looking at them told me that the Shoei was of higher quality. Handling them proved it. The Schubert just feels flimsy compared to the Shoei. I wasn't able to ride with both but the vast majority of reviews I've seen say that the C3 Pro doesn't vent well. A problem the Neotec does not have. The Neotec also has a wider field of view, better location and operation of the sun visor lever, the sun visor deploys and retracts better, and the shield is of better quality and operates better. For me the Neotec is hands down a better helmet, and it cost a couple hundred dollars less. I'm between and intermediate oval and a long oval and it fits perfectly. It leave some creases on my bald head and I get the corn row look on my skin, but there are zero comfort issues. I just got back from a 2,000 mile trip and not once did I experience any comfort issues with the helmet.

All the Arai helmets I tried on were similar to the C3 Pro, even though Arai doesn't make a modular. They just felt poorly made and were very uncomfortable.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
I loved the neotec so much that I got the RJ Platinum for when I want to go open face. I am leaving in about a week for a 2200 mile ride and plan on taking both helmets. Neotec definitely when it is raining or on cooler days. RJ when I want my face in the breeze
What`s really wild about the RJ Platinum is that it is DOT and SNELL rated and it is a 3/4 open face helmet. That in itself is pretty impressive.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb2782
I have a FF LS2 now. While I like it, i am looking for something that is quieter. I ride a pretty loud sportster, but most of the "noise" I'm hearing is from the wind. I do wear ear plugs but its still fairly loud. When you made the switch, noise was a noticeable difference??
It was so quite I had to pop the visor one notch to hear it the Tunes.
That with ear plugs, you shouldn't have to worry with noise IMO.
I had the LS2 open face so mine was louder than your FF. See if they let you test one.

The following users liked this post:
jlb2782 (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

I still haven't found a helmet that flows as much air as I would like. I mostly wear a Shoei X-14, because it fits well and I like the way the visor works.

I also have an AGV Pista GP Carbon, but I can't seem to get that thing to flow any air. Otherwise it's very nice.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
All the Arai helmets I tried on were similar to the C3 Pro, even though Arai doesn't make a modular. They just felt poorly made and were very uncomfortable.
Arai will not make a modular because no modular will pass a Snell test, and they believe all their helmets must be Snell rated. Arai will never make a sunshield that integrates into the helmet like in the Neotec, either - says it compromises the helmet structure.

I find it interesting you think they are poorly made, I have (2) Arai's and (2) Shoei's and find the quality on those two brands to be outstanding. Fit of course, can and does vary, however I am pretty comfortable in my Arai lids as well. I think Shoei offers more features that I like and better airflow, however if I were to bust my noggin on the blacktop, I'd rather be wearing an Arai.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:27 PM
FredCa
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

My better 3/4 and I both wear the Shoei GT-Air. I put the helmet on and forget I am wearing it. With all of the vents that can be opened and closed, it gives the rider a lot of options in how to route the air flow. The flip down sun visor is also a nice option.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CrBear
It was so quite I had to pop the visor one notch to hear it the Tunes.
That with ear plugs, you shouldn't have to worry with noise IMO.
I had the LS2 open face so mine was louder than your FF. See if they let you test one.
Test one?? How? So your LS2 modular was loud even behind your fairing?? I have a fairing on the sportster, but its a cafe fairing and puts the wind around my neck area. Hoping this one would be less loud and by the sounds of it, it would. Just have to see about dropping that kind of coin.

Second thing is I typically just throw my helmet on the peg when I go in a restaurant or bar. With a $600 helmet, I may be less inclined to do that. Whats the best price you found for that anyway??

Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Didn't know if they have demos to test. They didn't near me, I tried on at local store, found what I wanted and ordered off Amazon (more than 1/2 paid with Visa points).
I didn't realize it was that loud until I got the Neotec, it blocks a lot out.
I through the LS2 on the grip too, not this. I use my Beretta gun lock to lock it to the bike, works well for me.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,185 Likes on 7,365 Posts

Thanks for the thread and feedback. I have owned one Shoei open face and love it. Looking now for a new modular and the Neotec sounds like the ticket.

Quick Reply: Shoei Neotec First Ride....