General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Neotec First Ride....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 02:27 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,807 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Zebrex
I love mine, I dont like the cornrow look my hair has when I take it off. I have three stripes running across my head

I used to have a Shoei Multitec. Same thing....sporting the cornrows...

Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

This will be my next helmet!

Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I don't get why people swear by Arai.
Because people's heads aren't all the same. I wanted a full face, and Shoei just doesn't fit. Too narrow.

Arai Vector fit perfectly. I found the quality to be outstanding.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

Good thread; I'm due for a new Shoei FF.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:47 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,102 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghoss
I love mine. I also have a 3/4 Daytona, and a Gringo S. I reach for the Shoei more often than the others, combined. I think I will retire the Daytona to coaching only (MSF coach).

My only gripe, and it is the same gripe with all f/f or modular helmets, is that behind a windshield, the chin vent is of limited use. Otherwise, it is chock-full of features that I will no longer do without...pinlock anti fog shield, properly sized drop down sun visor, great venting, etc.
I would have agreed with your assessment of the chin vent before today. It was warmer here today (about 80 degrees) and at a stoplight I could feel my face getting warm. Once I started moving again I could feel the temperature around my face go down to a more comfortable level. It's worth it for that alone. With the pinlock shield it's not really needed to reduce fog.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:43 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Because people's heads aren't all the same. I wanted a full face, and Shoei just doesn't fit. Too narrow.

Arai Vector fit perfectly. I found the quality to be outstanding.
Agree, They pay attention more than any to offering different fits for different shaped heads. Quality beyond reproach with adjustability on some models to tailor the interior padding to fit the rider. I have a Shoei RF1000 that is not the best fit for me as its too narrow also, but its not horrible. I like the helmet otherwise and is well made.

Was frustrated looking for the right helmet to fit my large round head until Arai brought back the fit of the Quantum S in the new Quantum X this year. Best fitting helmet for me so far. Helmets are super subjective so I say get what works best for you. But if it is not comfortable you will not wear it. Something about the modulars...I just cant do it....Do people really ride around with them open? I guess I don't get it.

Last edited by HenryT; 03-30-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:47 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I would have agreed with your assessment of the chin vent before today. It was warmer here today (about 80 degrees) and at a stoplight I could feel my face getting warm. Once I started moving again I could feel the temperature around my face go down to a more comfortable level. It's worth it for that alone. With the pinlock shield it's not really needed to reduce fog.
I gotta agree with racinghoss... I love my neotech but the chin vent is limited behind a windshield or fairing. I used to ride a Slim and you could really really feel the cooling vent on the chin. Once I moved to the SGS the chin vent might still let air in but it's nothing like it was on the open bike.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Agree, They pay attention more than any to offering different fits for different shaped heads. Quality beyond reproach with adjustability on some models to tailor the interior padding to fit the rider. I have a Shoei RF1000 that is not the best fit for me as its too narrow also, but its not horrible. I like the helmet otherwise and is well made.

Was frustrated looking for the right helmet to fit my large round head until Arai brought back the fit of the Quantum S in the new Quantum X this year. Best fitting helmet for me so far. Helmets are super subjective so I say get what works best for you. But if it is not comfortable you will not wear it. Something about the modulars...I just cant do it....Do people really ride around with them open? I guess I don't get it.
You can't wear it open face and ride, its not made for that. But at a stand still, its nice to open the face to 3/4 to look around and have breathing room.
So it has jaw protection when you ride, but don't have to remove the helmet at idle, just open.
Like you said, totally subjective.. that's why there are so freak'n many of them !

Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by CrBear
You can't wear it open face and ride, its not made for that. But at a stand still, its nice to open the face to 3/4 to look around and have breathing room.
So it has jaw protection when you ride, but don't have to remove the helmet at idle, just open.
Like you said, totally subjective.. that's why there are so freak'n many of them !
I ride with it open all the time. Have for years with three modulars.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Cool ! Was told you couldn't..

Quick Reply: Shoei Neotec First Ride....