Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"German" helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:15 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "German" helmets

I ride with my german helmet with a chrome spike in the top of it quite often, and really don't care who likes it or not.

As for the swastika, I also have a native american tat with that original symbol on it as well. The symbol can be traced back to over 9000 years ago found on sand scrit (sp?) found in India, and has been found in one form or another in almost all of the worlds ancient societies.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:41 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nightrider2

Don't quote me, but, i think that some "native American' indian tribes used a marking close to the swastika, but, in reverse, it means Good Luck, but, don't quote me. They would paint it on their horses.
The swastika has been around for 3000+ years in many cultures, andrepresented the cycle of life and good fortune. When Germany unified in the late 1800s, (1875if I remember history correctly) they began to adopt the symbol for their own use. Hitler's **** party snagged it for their national emblem in the 1920s, and we all know what happened after that.

The swastika was a common designonpre-war artifacts from the early 20th centurybefore the ***** corrupted it. Something to keep your eye out for if you're an antique junkie... Not everything that bears the swastika is **** related.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

At least oneof the BIG CLUBS, with chapters in Germany, no longer allows members to sport swastikas as a general rule. It's said to be in deference to their German brothers, as a swastika displayed in Germany will get you busted.

The German helmet thing was mostly to shock the citizens. Now it's mostly a friggin' fashion statement. Whoop-de-do!
The WWII vets/riders I knew and rode with were disgusted with the use of German artifacts by bikersduring the 1960s. One of the old boys used to call 'em "Hollywood Hippie Bikers".

**** helmets,Maltese crosses &other goodiestaken from German prisoners and casulties during the war were fair game to wear in certain situations where the public wasn't involved, but no WWII vet I knew of ever wore a swastika under any circumstance.In fact, I saw some real heated 'discussions' between the older (1st generation)of bikers and the new generation from the 50s & 60s when I was a youngster taggin' along all wide-eyed & stupid.

A similar phenomenon happened with NVC artifactsduringViet Namto a much lesser degree, but never grew legs...The ****'look' was alreadywellestablished as a standard for most of theoutlawclubs, andthe new breed of outlaw bikers & clubs that came into existence duringViet Namhad little or no regard for the older traditions and values if they even understood them.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can add me to your list my thought exactly only I couldn't spell yamika
ORIGINAL: 1yrb4hd

Alot of guy's dont like wearing helmet's...myself included. The german style helmet fit's "down" on your head unlike most cheap 1/2 helmet's which sit on top like a yamika.
[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/039CC0A6F24C434B875FE82C0A702715.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Helix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and returned it. Was the most uncomfortable Helmet Ive ever worn. It wants to rip your head off when you go any speed over 40 Mph. I can see anyone wanting to wear one except for the Looks factor becuase I know they are damn uncomfortable.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

put a windshield on that thing I was over 105 yesterday and still have my head and my helmet

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/58DC7A5C986746DDB7C22C3CCB0B9D64.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
okiehogg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their not copies of German helmets, their copies of the current U.S. military helmet if anyone asks...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: hambone

I ride with my german helmet with a chrome spike in the top of it quite often, and really don't care who likes it or not.

As for the swastika, I also have a native american tat with that original symbol on it as well. The symbol can be traced back to over 9000 years ago found on sand scrit (sp?) found in India, and has been found in one form or another in almost all of the worlds ancient societies.

Is the spike chromed plastic that would snap off if in a collision or is it a metal spike that would get punched into your head?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
x2lee
Banned

Swastikas and maltese crossesdont look anything alike.
The swatika goes way back before ww2 some 3000+ years
The Finnish flag has a swastika emblem on it, they were our allies in WW2
It was used by china and southern europe it was also worn by Americans in ww1

It actually means "goodness"

But Hitler bastardized it in ww2 hence its evil conotations of today........

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

Are we sure these "Swastikas" aren't a Maltese Cross?

I see the Maltese cross all the time.....I rarely see a Swastika.

They have very different symbolism although many mistake the two.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
x2lee
Banned

I really need to read the whole thread before I reply to a single post...
Well Said ZD...

ORIGINAL: ZD
The swastika has been around for 3000+ years in many cultures, andrepresented the cycle of life and good fortune. When Germany unified in the late 1800s, (1875if I remember history correctly) they began to adopt the symbol for their own use. Hitler's **** party snagged it for their national emblem in the 1920s, and we all know what happened after that.

The swastika was a common designonpre-war artifacts from the early 20th centurybefore the ***** corrupted it. Something to keep your eye out for if you're an antique junkie... Not everything that bears the swastika is **** related.

Quick Reply: "German" helmets