General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Spring has sprung here, and it's gonna get a lot greener!

Today is sunny, 80*... a beautiful day to be riding, and I've been stuck in the office all day!

I feel your pain. with crazy work and easter stuff, I havnt ridden in over a week! I plan on takin my baby out tonight after work for a spin though, should have cooled down into the 80's by then

That greenery sure is nuts though. livin in the desert southwest, you forget what plants really look like. would love to take a spin in your neck of the woods

Old 04-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,746 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddman
I feel your pain. with crazy work and easter stuff, I havnt ridden in over a week! I plan on takin my baby out tonight after work for a spin though, should have cooled down into the 80's by then

That greenery sure is nuts though. livin in the desert southwest, you forget what plants really look like. would love to take a spin in your neck of the woods
I've been to Arizona several times and always wondered why the homes are all the color of the sand? Why wouldn't you all make your homes blue and yellow and green? It has been proven that pastel colors lifts a person's feeling of well being.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddman

If you're ever this way, give a holler. We'll ride around a bunch of country roads.

Yesterday I left work and took the long way home. Hit some roads I had not been on in years.

Name:  drive%20to%20work_zpse84asy25.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  30.0 KB

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Almostinvincible119 (05-03-2017), DanDeleted (02-18-2018)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Yesterday I left work and took the long way home. Hit some roads I had not been on in years.
I know how that works. The grocery store is about 2 miles away. If there aren't any perishables in the sidecar, it can take me a couple hours to get home. I gave up that work stuff 8 years ago, you should try that someday.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
I know how that works. The grocery store is about 2 miles away. If there aren't any perishables in the sidecar, it can take me a couple hours to get home. I gave up that work stuff 8 years ago, you should try that someday.
Man, I'm looking forward to that...gonna be some years yet before I can.

Just finished prepping a small load to go to Powder Coat today...

Name:  Small%20Powder%20Load_zpsjdykp79u.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  159.9 KB

Name:  Powder%20List_zpsypr4otfu.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  74.0 KB

...special high heat rubber to keep the powder off the threads.

Name:  Powder_zpse6g7jwce.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  129.2 KB

A lot of work goes into the metal before it's ready for powder....

Name:  Before%20Powder%201_zpsgfcv2rzn.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  115.2 KB

...and more welding....

Name:  Before%20Powder%202_zpsfo3jrubx.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  174.1 KB

...then finishing...

Name:  Before%20Powder%204_zpscvkhfumf.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  108.4 KB

...then tumbling, where it is also coated with a rust inhibitor.

Name:  Before%20Powder%203_zps1misluj8.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  153.4 KB

It's been raining all day, instead of going for a ride this afternoon...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-27-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I posed a question about rust inhibitor and powder coating, via a PM. Since Kevin took his time and was gracious enough to provide an answer, I thought I'd post the question/answer. Kevin, granted his permission to share the info. I have no affiliation and I've never purchased any of their parts, but a lot of HD Forum members seem to be very happy with their products. I do, however, read their posts, absorb all the technical info that's provided, and I'm certain they're a top shelf company. This is another stroke in the Plus Column, for DK Customs:

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
First, I know you're busy, so a simple reply, like, "Because I like it", would be understandable and not taken offensively. However, in a lean manufacturing environment, extra time and materials, add up, quick.
Why do you tumble with a rust inhibitor, if the parts are going to be powder coated? The coater should media blast the components for powder prep, not solely for cleaning and maximizing "tooth" of the metal, but also to minimize any electrical charge (positive or negative) of the substrate. I'm not a Chemist or Metallurgist, but I have a little bit of fabrication and powder coating experience. Mostly, with Aluminum, so I'm a little lacking of knowledge for steel components. I understand an "in-process" rust inhibitor, but aren't you sending the product to the coater, immediately? Wouldn't the rust inhibitor be negated by the blasting/powder/heat process? Doesn't a well-applied and properly cured powder provide a shield from oxidation?
I admire your efforts and appreciate that you take the time to participate in HD Forums, with answers to many riders' questions. So, please, don't take my enquiry as a slam, but as an effort for me to learn and, possibly, save ya'all some dough.
Thank you for your time, and your team's hard work to produce quality products.
xxxx

Just finished prepping a small load to go to Powder Coat today...

...then tumbling, where it is also coated with a rust inhibitor.

Hey xxxx,

I don't mind answering at all..in fact, if you want to post your question and my answer below in the public forum, I think some folks may find it interesting.

We looked at doing our own powder coating, but we work with two local powder coaters that do great work for us, at a price that we could not do it ourselves for.

They are large operations and all the parts are hung on an automated systems that "conveys" the parts thru the entire process. Beginning with cleaning/pre-treatment (which removes the rust inhibitor we apply), all the way thru the baking. Then they are hand-packed for us to be picked up.

The time lag between when we build a part and get it to powder can be as much as 7 days. Then, after we deliver it to them, it can be anywhere from 2-10 days sitting at their shop before it is put on the conveyor.

On average parts will sit a total of 6-7 days between manufacture and powder, and as many as 17 days.

While powder absolutely seals the metal from oxidation, it is better to have none start prior to the prep and powder process.

The cost is a fraction of a penny per part to add the rust inhibitor to the tumbling process, and we do need to tumble as part of the prep anyway.

Thanks for your inquiry, always is good to review processes, looking for improvements.

Ride Free,

Kevin
Ride Free. Absolutely! I hope that parts tumbler, is in a sound-proof room. They're LAF.

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (11-06-2018)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:15 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I posed a question about rust inhibitor and powder coating, via a PM. Since Kevin took his time and was gracious enough to provide an answer, I thought I'd post the question/answer. Kevin, granted his permission to share the info. I have no affiliation and I've never purchased any of their parts, but a lot of HD Forum members seem to be very happy with their products. I do, however, read their posts, absorb all the technical info that's provided, and I'm certain they're a top shelf company. This is another stroke in the Plus Column, for DK Customs:

Ride Free. Absolutely! I hope that parts tumbler, is in a sound-proof room. They're LAF.
Yep, it's loud, and it's in the corner...near the air compressor...which is even louder!

It's definitely a loud shop.

When the compressor, tumbler, band-saws, drill press, air finisher, and two welders are going...the stereo is still louder over all of it!

After raining all weekend, the ride in this morning was under a completely cloudless sky....

AND it was 47 degrees!

What's up with that?

It's been in the 80's for the last week or so.

Seems like winter is taking one last breath before it dies down here.

Uneventful & relaxing ride in today. North Mississippi has very little traffic on the roads.

This afternoon Mary and I have an appointment up in Memphis. We'll see more traffic this afternoon than we do in 6 months in Mississippi!

....and there's no lane splitting in Tennessee!

From where we live it is about 8 miles to the closest signal light.

In Red Banks, where I work, there is a 4 way stop, but no signal lights. It is about 7 miles to the closest signal light.

While we have ridden all over North America, including the 405 from San Diego to LA, traffic in NYC and D.C. and 100+ other cities...we prefer the relatively traffic free roads of Mississippi and other rural areas.

Below are a few photos from our ride yesterday into Memphis and back.

On the main artery from where we live...

...up toward suburbia.

Name:  2%20Still%20in%20MS_zpsopy2hr9f.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  399.0 KB

Hitting the outskirts of Collierville, a suburb of Memphis

Name:  3%20Suburbia_zpsorcjgxpd.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  234.5 KB

The traffic is not so bad today....

Name:  4%20ack_zps0wgkgi4p.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  233.9 KB

...but there is some stop-n-go on the interstate.

Name:  5%20Stop%20n%20go%20on%20interstate_zpsvbvh6u9u.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  263.6 KB

I know tons of folks have it a lot worse, but there is no lane splitting here, and this stuff is a stark contrast to my daily riding...

Name:  6%20blah_zpstkwxvvlj.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  272.5 KB

Back in Mississippi, there are a couple of cars up a ways...

Name:  7%20back%20in%20MS_zps6w6odyzn.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  262.1 KB

...nothing behind us.

Name:  8%20A%20look%20back_zpscdlqnarq.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  369.1 KB

It's nice to live and ride in the "backwards" State of Mississippi.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Great thread, interesting....enjoyed all the pics and info.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Norky
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm very fortunate to live in a place where a lot of other H-D owners come to ride. On a nice Saturday, hundreds of them pass the house.
If I turn right, out of my driveway, it's about 40 miles until I come to a stop sign. After 2 miles, the speed limit is 55 and I rarely have anyone behind me.

From today, at a regular resting spot, about 10 miles down the road.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norky
I'm very fortunate to live in a place where a lot of other H-D owners come to ride. On a nice Saturday, hundreds of them pass the house.
If I turn right, out of my driveway, it's about 40 miles until I come to a stop sign. After 2 miles, the speed limit is 55 and I rarely have anyone behind me.

From today, at a regular resting spot, about 10 miles down the road.

There's some great riding roads in Kentucky! Sounds like you have some ideal riding near you!

Yesterday Devin & I rode to the indoor range at the Pyramid.

I BROKE my Glock! Over 150k rounds thru Glocks over the last 25 years and never had a failure. Didn't even know a Glock Could break.

Trigger spring now on order.

Devin shooting some 000 410 out of a Judge.

Name:  Range%204-26-17_zpsbmoqdfbv.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  112.9 KB

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-02-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...