General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Got lucky, didn't get cold enough to stick (though that hasn't stopped them many times before) and we got a pass on the salt. And a couple times again this week. Conserving salt, sure didn't do that the last few years, maybe last year was the grand finale.
Good news! Maybe more riding for you before the salt!

That reminds me, I've got bare wood showing in spots and I completely forgot to slap some more paint on before it got too cold. I may end up doing what you're doing next year. Again - I did some of that several years ago and I'm sure it needs more now. Darned motorcycles are distracting.

Yep, I should have removed all the gutters a few years ago and painted...then I would not be cutting out all this rotten wood and replacing it.

Got the one section done yesterday. Still have at least another two weekends worth to do on other sections.

In the end, I would have had More time for riding. lol

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 11-06-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

We had 5 days of temps in the 70's...was back down to 51 and misty/foggy when I rode in this morning.

Kevin

Old 11-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I dunno... I still remember barely being able to get off the bike less than halfway on about a 500 mile trip. Temp was a little above freezing, but it was an on and off drizzle, bad headwind, no windshield, inadequate clothing (that was all too often in the '60s) and I think that was the worst I've shivered in my life. Saw that motel, and knew it was the end of the line for that day. I carried a cheap raincoat after that, and avoided the same misery at least once with it. Have a whole lot more "better than a cage" memories than that kind, though.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

19 degrees with patchy snow on the roads on the way to work today.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We had 5 days of temps in the 70's...was back down to 51 and misty/foggy when I rode in this morning.

Kevin

Old 11-08-2017, 09:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I dunno... I still remember barely being able to get off the bike less than halfway on about a 500 mile trip. Temp was a little above freezing, but it was an on and off drizzle, bad headwind, no windshield, inadequate clothing (that was all too often in the '60s) and I think that was the worst I've shivered in my life. Saw that motel, and knew it was the end of the line for that day. I carried a cheap raincoat after that, and avoided the same misery at least once with it. Have a whole lot more "better than a cage" memories than that kind, though.
Yeah, I know what you mean....I had one of those experiences myself. Raining, cold and no rain gear, 300 miles from home....and not enough money to stop at a motel, nor enough sense to stop and put a trash bag over myself. When I finally got home I was so cold I got in the bathtub and Mary kept refilling it with water heated in the microwave...took over an hour to warm up.

Originally Posted by Huskers
19 degrees with patchy snow on the roads on the way to work today.
I reckon they use salt up your way? Is riding pretty much over for the year for you?

Last edited by DK Custom; 11-08-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Harley Almost didn't start this morning... Might need to start taking the Yamaha or Suzuki again. HAHA. Those will always start even at -10'. This bike did not want to get going this AM...

She fired after some coaxing and nice words. Made it to work and it ran like an animal on the way in!

No Snow yet... I'm still riding!!!

Been at work for over 2.5 hours and the bike is still covered in frost

Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Wanted to ride in today but I chickened out. Was 30 at my place this AM. No heated gear. Maybe go home after work and ride around the block or something....

More power to ya pal!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jedz123
Harley Almost didn't start this morning... Might need to start taking the Yamaha or Suzuki again. HAHA. Those will always start even at -10'. This bike did not want to get going this AM...
My Harleys won't even cough somewhere around 20 degrees. Hope I can change that when I finally get my S&S powered Tour Glide back together. Will rebuild the carb & tune it myself, hope it'll start down to zero, might actually be some times I try riding it that cold. For the time being, the only really cold starters I have are a Honda Silverwing scooter and a Russian Ural, both with sidecars.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

My Harleys won't even cough somewhere around 20 degrees. Hope I can change that when I finally get my S&S powered Tour Glide back together. Will rebuild the carb & tune it myself, hope it'll start down to zero, might actually be some times I try riding it that cold. For the time being, the only really cold starters I have are a Honda Silverwing scooter and a Russian Ural, both with sidecars.
I have been toying with the thought of a side car setup for a while now... I could ride in the snow a hell of allot easier!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jedz123
I have been toying with the thought of a side car setup for a while now... I could ride in the snow a hell of allot easier!
I'd ride year round if it wasn't for the heavy salting here. Forget snow with most motorcycle street tires, though, even a little and you'd just spin the drive wheel. If I ever sidecar a Harley, I'd put a car tire with aggressive tread on it on the drive wheel, would probably do snow pretty good then. My dual purpose tire on the Ural only pushes it through 4-5" of snow, but mine's not a two wheel drive model (with a driven sidecar wheel, a feature many Ural's are sold with). Haven't found a car tire that would fit Ural rims, darn it.

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...