General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Of all the people down there, are most of them locals or tourist?
Most of the folks on bikes are locals...but there are a ton of tourists and convention attendees that walk Beale Street every night, including bike nights.

My guess is that close to half the folks walking around are from out of town.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
That's crazy!

You have had some interesting times on the road!

Kevin
Most of the wild stuff was off road. Happens when you're young, foolish, and a bit short on common sense. I would say, and unlucky, but since I'm still alive and have no motorcycle scars or missing body parts, guess I'll go with very lucky.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Most of the wild stuff was off road. Happens when you're young, foolish, and a bit short on common sense. I would say, and unlucky, but since I'm still alive and have no motorcycle scars or missing body parts, guess I'll go with very lucky.
Yeah, lucky for sure.

I quit riding off-road many years ago. Always too tempting to push the limits and that often ended up in pain. Younger body handled get-offs that I don't even want to think about experiencing these days.

Kevin

Old 10-06-2017, 04:57 AM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Foliage ride in Northern NH. Perfect fall day, in the mid 70s.

Attached Thumbnails A Day in the Life...-e7afd598-4f8b-46d0-9198-f1b6acd7c8e6.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 11:49 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Most of the folks on bikes are locals...but there are a ton of tourists and convention attendees that walk Beale Street every night, including bike nights.

My guess is that close to half the folks walking around are from out of town.

Kevin
That is still a lot of people every night. I bet the businesses are happy with that many people weekly. Definitely want to come down sometime. I showed my wife the pics and she said it looked like fun too.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by gja
Foliage ride in Northern NH. Perfect fall day, in the mid 70s.
Colors are changing! Nice pic!

Originally Posted by DanHappy
That is still a lot of people every night. I bet the businesses are happy with that many people weekly. Definitely want to come down sometime. I showed my wife the pics and she said it looked like fun too.
Yep, good for business and a fun time!

Kevin

I had a Mississippi Moment on the ride in to work this morning.

Stalled at a stop sign was a pick-up truck with the hood up. I stopped to check and see if I could help.

Was just a loose battery connection that he had fixed. Nice kid, he has some bikes in his barn he wants to sell, gonna be stopping by this weekend to look at them. (he was also open carrying a nice 1911)

While we were talking we heard a THUMP and looked to the right. All we saw was a cloud of dust floating over the road, and then a big white "box" down in the ditch about 50 yards away. (see #1 in sketch below)

We then saw a truck do a u-turn and head back up the road. I pulled up behind the truck, passing the white "box" which turned out to be a tandem axle trailer.

Asked the driver if that was his trailer...yep, he had hit a bump and the tongue had popped off the ball and snapped the safety chains. It then had freewheeled across the oncoming traffic lane and down into the ditch.

He said "I don't know why it came off, but sure am glad there was no oncoming traffic."

Yeah, me too...could of been me!

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-25-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

It went down there without rolling? Guy's lucky he had a trailer left. I've had a couple near misses with stuff that fell off a truck but never saw a trailer come loose. I've wondered about those chains, lot of them aren't very heavy. The 8x10 930lb open trailer I got last month has cables, might be stronger than the typical lightweight chains, but the hooks suck, won't get completely through the holes in the hitch. Planning to get two short heavy chains to loop through those holes so the cable hooks can fit all the way in the chain. I'd hate to lose a trailer, but hate it a lot more if someone got hurt.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

A couple of pictures from the Badlands today. The sky was brilliant blue as you can see. The pictures are not enhanced in any way.

The following 3 users liked this post by Huskers:
bbissell (10-08-2017), graygoat (10-08-2017), nibroc (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
It went down there without rolling? Guy's lucky he had a trailer left. I've had a couple near misses with stuff that fell off a truck but never saw a trailer come loose. I've wondered about those chains, lot of them aren't very heavy. The 8x10 930lb open trailer I got last month has cables, might be stronger than the typical lightweight chains, but the hooks suck, won't get completely through the holes in the hitch. Planning to get two short heavy chains to loop through those holes so the cable hooks can fit all the way in the chain. I'd hate to lose a trailer, but hate it a lot more if someone got hurt.
It rolled down the oncoming traffic lane a bit, then rolled right down the grassy slope...you can see some tire imprints in the grass.

This guys safety chains were for decoration...not half the size they needed to be for that trailer.

Yeah, I've had my share of crap flying out of trucks toward me...but never a whole trailer!

Somewhere in SD I had a plastic cooler lid hit my passing lamp and knock it silly.

Originally Posted by Huskers
A couple of pictures from the Badlands today. The sky was brilliant blue as you can see. The pictures are not enhanced in any way.
Beautiful sky! Was it cold?

Kevin

Yesterday the TG was on the lift for some work.

Did some work on my shift linkage, then spiffed up my EBS...link to some pics on that here-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...-breather.html

Went over to a guys house that "had some old bikes in the barn" he wanted to get rid of. Did not let myself get too excited. That was a good thing.

Old Vulcan, wrecked Hayabusa, and some other yammyhammer crotch rocket. Oh well. I might end up getting the forks & MC's off the Hayabusa for some future project.

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-25-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Beautiful sky! Was it cold?

Kevin
It was in the upper 70's.

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...