General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Forecast of 5-7 inches of rain, flash flood warnings. Tornado watch, plus it's cold!

I borrowed the wife's truck to come into work this morning.

Did not feel like being this guy today!

Kevin

Originally Posted by Huskers
That's funny.
I thought so too.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Forecast of 5-7 inches of rain, flash flood warnings. Tornado watch, plus it's cold!

I borrowed the wife's truck to come into work this morning.

Did not feel like being this guy today!

Kevin
I've been in water up to the headlight for well over 100', hoping it wouldn't get any deeper, hoping the motor wouldn't quit, and not daring to slow down because the carbs were behind the bow wave the motor was plowing and if I stopped, they'd be underwater. Was on a street bike, too, not trail bike. Getting in that deep was unintentional, but once you're in something like that, you're committed if you want a chance of getting out again. The guy I was following said don't worry, it isn't deep... That was when I was young and foolish and never thought about water in the wheel bearings... but they had separate seals then, and I lubed them fairly often anyway.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
I've been in water up to the headlight for well over 100', hoping it wouldn't get any deeper, hoping the motor wouldn't quit, and not daring to slow down because the carbs were behind the bow wave the motor was plowing and if I stopped, they'd be underwater. Was on a street bike, too, not trail bike. Getting in that deep was unintentional, but once you're in something like that, you're committed if you want a chance of getting out again. The guy I was following said don't worry, it isn't deep... That was when I was young and foolish and never thought about water in the wheel bearings... but they had separate seals then, and I lubed them fairly often anyway.

Today is the big day we have been working toward for over 2 months!

We are moving our shipping facility from one location to another...it is only across the street, but every item on the shelves needs to be counted and then carried across the street to the new BINS.

Along with the move is a complete change in our inventory control software going into effect as we make the move.

I'm riding up to Memphis shortly to start counting. lol

We have over 20k parts that need to be counted.

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-13-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds too much like work!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Sounds too much like work!
It was a LOT of work!!!

Kevin

The ramp up into my bike room has been getting a few soft spots in it, and one spot that had collapsed...

...it made it a bit "fun" when going down the ramp if one of the tires got in that "low" spot.

The problem was that we did not paint or protect the wood where it was in contact with the ground...so it just soaked up the water and got mushy.

The frame is actually quite strong, and in good shape...

...although I did go ahead and put a couple more supports in it, and paint the exposed surfaces.

I'm also replacing the 5/8" plywood with 3/4" plywood.

Yesterday afternoon we stopped after giving the plywood a good heavy coat of paint.

This afternoon I will be putting plastic edging on the bottom edge of the plywood, so that when water is setting, it will not get into the wood. Then attaching the plywood to the frame, and then putting some new roofing material on it.

By tonight I should be able to get my bikes out of the bike room where they have been stuck.

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-13-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

The roofing material should make a good non-skid surface, but do you think it will hold up to being ridden on? Cheap enough to replace every year if need be, though. Sounds like a good idea.

I just got a trailer last week, and before I use it (and leave it parked in the back yard - in the garage now), I'm painting the wood deck with skid resistant paint. Only put the sidecar rig on it to check out fit, plenty of room on a 6x10. Sanded it yesterday and taped off the frame next to the wood, should be able to paint it today. Got too hot in the garage with the door closed yesterday, and was raining outside.

Even though this Ural has been trouble free - so far - I feel a little nervous about having it break down (they're kind of famous for that, although that might be like Harleys leak oil ) when it won't fit in most rental trailers, or the ones my friends and neighbors have. It's not a highway bike, either, rpm gets near redline at 70, so for a couple of extended trips I'm planning this fall this "mod" will let it cruise as fast as my pickup truck. I doubt my 8 year old grandson would like spending several hours in the sidecar, too. My daughter would also like to carry some trail bikes to Wisconsin occasionally for off roading; none of that around here. Only have one trail bike with a dead starter right now (what fool decided carburated trail bikes don't need a kick starter?), but she wants to get her son a small one. I like riding off road better than pavement myself. Except on a Harley hard tail, did that once...

Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The roofing material should make a good non-skid surface, but do you think it will hold up to being ridden on? Cheap enough to replace every year if need be, though. Sounds like a good idea.

I just got a trailer last week, and before I use it (and leave it parked in the back yard - in the garage now), I'm painting the wood deck with skid resistant paint. Only put the sidecar rig on it to check out fit, plenty of room on a 6x10. Sanded it yesterday and taped off the frame next to the wood, should be able to paint it today. Got too hot in the garage with the door closed yesterday, and was raining outside.

Even though this Ural has been trouble free - so far - I feel a little nervous about having it break down (they're kind of famous for that, although that might be like Harleys leak oil ) when it won't fit in most rental trailers, or the ones my friends and neighbors have. It's not a highway bike, either, rpm gets near redline at 70, so for a couple of extended trips I'm planning this fall this "mod" will let it cruise as fast as my pickup truck. I doubt my 8 year old grandson would like spending several hours in the sidecar, too. My daughter would also like to carry some trail bikes to Wisconsin occasionally for off roading; none of that around here. Only have one trail bike with a dead starter right now (what fool decided carburated trail bikes don't need a kick starter?), but she wants to get her son a small one. I like riding off road better than pavement myself. Except on a Harley hard tail, did that once...
Yes, the roofing material hold up well. I had it on the original ramp for the last 3 years and it did very well...I try not to do burn-outs on it, but have a few times...zero issues, and that was with me using it multiple times a day, almost every day.

The wood only got wet were it was sitting on the ground, and with this new rendition, that won't be happening anymore.

Kevin

Old 09-06-2017, 01:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Wow! Not sure what's up with the weather...but it has been a very mild summer for us...and last night was in the low 50's!

This morning was the first time I've worn my leather jacket in many months.

Looks like it will be in the 50's each morning on the ride in for a while. Crazy for us at this time of year.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

It was 38 at my house this morning. Too early for that I tell you.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Huskers
It was 38 at my house this morning. Too early for that I tell you.
Yeah, I don't understand this global warming thing....it's been far cooler here.

Kevin

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...