General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Friday I was at the shop on the Sporty.

Not long before the end of the day we heard a lot of thunder, and some strong wind blowing.

I went outside and this is what I saw....can't tell from the photo, but the wind was blowing pretty strong and the storm was heading straight toward us.

I went back inside and pulled up the radar. You can see on the photo below where we are...right on the outside edge...the storm was moving southeast. My home is northwest.

I waited til the red/orange/yellow was gone and rode home in the rain, but no lighting.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

We got heavy wind and rained on this past week 6 times. Kind of gets old.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Huskers
We got heavy wind and rained on this past week 6 times. Kind of gets old.
I heard about the rain up your way last week! Some friends of mine left Sturgis a couple of days earlier than planned because of it.

Kevin

I hope it's not raining this hard when it's time to ride home this afternoon!

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-19-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

We almost did not go to Beale Street last night. It was a bit warm at 98 degrees. We did end up going, got there a bit early....

...we're glad we did. We did not realize it was the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley Week, commemorating his passing.

There were thousands of folks from out of town, and out of the country!

This is a photo of a couple of gals sitting next to us at the Rum Boogie. They came from England for Elvis week, and it was a bonus for them that bike night was going on at Beale Street.

We spent some time chatting...both of their sons ride, one a Harley, the other a Triumph. Quite a lively pair! They took a photo for us of Mary & myself.

We saw dozens of fans...

...dressed up like Elvis...

...and hundreds of gals in 50's style dress and hair.

A photo of one of the gals from England, along with a chap who had also traveled from England for Elvis Week.

More in next post.

Continued...

It is starting to fill up a bit now.

Another diehard Elvis fan.

After the sun went down...

...the bikes were rolling in...

...non-stop for the next 1.5 hours...

we were there. We left out a bit after 8:30 and they were still rolling in steady.

Last couple of pics from our table...

...before we cut out.

When we left it had dropped down to 91 degrees. About 15 miles out of downtown I took a photo going down the road. Phone camera does not do so well at 70 mph at night. lol But the temp had dropped a bit, to 89 degrees.

It was an exceptionally good night at Beale.

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Yesterday afternoon we had a doozie of a storm roll thru. But when it was time to ride home, it had passed.

All was clean and clear for a perfect ride home!

At 59, sometimes I am amazed that I enjoy riding just as much now as 50 years ago. It's times like these where I just want to keep riding, chasing the sun.

Kevin

Old 08-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
At 59, sometimes I am amazed that I enjoy riding just as much now as 50 years ago. It's times like these where I just want to keep riding, chasing the sun.

Kevin
At 70 it seems like a miracle I can still do it. Some fairly simple things in life, like picking up a dropped spoon off the floor, are sometimes a bit difficult, yet so far, no problems riding except when various ailments have kept me off the bike for a month or 3 the past few years, sucks when that happens. Seems like I'm glimpsing the light at the end of tunnel sometimes, feel a little anxiety when that happens. I recently got a pickup to handle a big trailer, and have been trailer shopping lately, be nice to head south in these salt encrusted winters without salt soaking the bikes and get a little more riding in. Plus, roads and scenery just aren't all that interesting around here. So many places out West I haven't ridden yet.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:39 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
At 70 it seems like a miracle I can still do it. Some fairly simple things in life, like picking up a dropped spoon off the floor, are sometimes a bit difficult, yet so far, no problems riding except when various ailments have kept me off the bike for a month or 3 the past few years, sucks when that happens. Seems like I'm glimpsing the light at the end of tunnel sometimes, feel a little anxiety when that happens. I recently got a pickup to handle a big trailer, and have been trailer shopping lately, be nice to head south in these salt encrusted winters without salt soaking the bikes and get a little more riding in. Plus, roads and scenery just aren't all that interesting around here. So many places out West I haven't ridden yet.
Man, I hear you on the age thing (69)!!! Trouble is the alternative sucks. I too would love to load up in winter and head south, but family commitments prevent that right now. Good luck in your trailer shopping.

The following users liked this post:
Imold (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by graygoat
Man, I hear you on the age thing (69)!!! Trouble is the alternative sucks. I too would love to load up in winter and head south, but family commitments prevent that right now. Good luck in your trailer shopping.
Wouldn't be the whole winter (budget wouldn't cover that), but I'd like to think I could handle 2 or 3 weeks, maybe even a couple times. I babysit a couple young grandkids along with the other grandparents, but they've all said enjoy myself, they'll cover the kids somehow. So... a trailer is my ticket out of the freezer next winter, hopefully, for a little while.

The following users liked this post:
graygoat (08-21-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I feel for you guys up north.

We visited the grandbaby one winter in Missoula, MT. I don't remember what the temps was...but it was COOOOLD! I was out on the porch at noon time and in less than 10 minutes my drink was frozen.

I'll take the heat & humidity over my joints freezing up every time.

Yesterday on the ride home, got hit by a bug in the chin. It stung a little, but I did not think anymore about it.

15 minutes after I was home I think it must have awakened from its' concussion. lol

This little bugger, pictured below, was crawling around in my beard between the first tie and my chin.

He's about 1" long, and those little legs were irritating on my face.

Kevin

Old 08-19-2017, 02:17 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Plus, roads and scenery just aren't all that interesting around here. So many places out West I haven't ridden yet.
I feel the same, about the roads "out West."

I'd love to ride in Minnesota some day. I hear it's beautiful country up that way.

2 different perspectives?

Actually, the same, but different.

Look into Butler Maps or Mad Maps for routes to take "out West."

Lots of info there.

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...