General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Traffic is down a little here, but still a lot more than "essential" travel. Last week there was almost the usual motorcycle traffic, but with the snow a couple days ago and temps below freezing, it's pretty quiet now. The roads melted quick while it was snowing, the drop in temp came right after the snow, so roads are clear, haven't been out to see if they got salted. MNDOT has been almost stingy with salt this year, the last two years' incredible salt apocalypse depleted the reserves and for some reason they couldn't replace as fast as before.

I've had my 1200 out a few times, short rides, cool enough I put the wimpshield back on. Nice to feel acceleration again.

Yeah, traffic is down a lot here also. But the local LEO's are ok with car and bike travel with no destination...just no motorcycle riding in groups.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:56 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
Here are some pics from Belle Isle near Detroit. My boy and I took a short run through the city. Detroit is a pretty dense C-19 zone, but our Harleys are faster than the speed of cough.

Good to see you got out and had a nice ride.

I watched this video yesterday from your Governor stating no motorcycle riding...did not make any sense to me what she said...you can walk your dog, but can ride your motorcycle.

(See video @ 14:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9X...LKkoJYsbaGgxgg

Old 04-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,631 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Just saw a news article this morning that she's one of Biden's considerations for VP. I'd best not comment, this isn't the pod. Thankfully.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:51 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Received 102,475 Likes on 25,870 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Just saw a news article this morning that she's one of Biden's considerations for VP. I'd best not comment, this isn't the pod. Thankfully.
The mods just got a call from the governor, she said this post was considered "non-essential"

The following users liked this post:
Imold (04-15-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:38 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Was out for a 45 minute ride this afternoon and saw a few cars out and about...still far less than normal.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:06 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Restaurants may be opening here in a couple of weeks. Sarasota has opened beaches. Never saw much reduction in traffic here and they never stopped people from flying in from highly infected areas.

Interesting that no one noticed the 80,000+ USA flu deaths in the 17-18 flu season. Flu deaths for this season were estimated to hit between 26,000 and 56,000, wonder if this keeps it low.

For some things like washing hands, covering coughs and sneezes and staying home sick with cough/fever, along with wiping things down, it should have already been normal and has been with me for a while.

DK Custom (04-20-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 03:44 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,631 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
Interesting that no one noticed the 80,000+ USA flu deaths in the 17-18 flu season. Flu deaths for this season were estimated to hit between 26,000 and 56,000, wonder if this keeps it low.
I've heard in person and seen it discussed on news and internet about comparing this to seasonal flu. The people that try to claim this isn't as bad won't listen to facts like seasonal flu never overwhelmed hospitals and put thousands of people on ventilators or consider that in less than two months this flu killed half as many as the worst seasonal flu did in a year. And that was by far the worst year; we've had more deaths in 6 weeks than the average for seasonal flu, and already well above the 2018-2019 flu season. we'll almost certainly pass all the previous figures for flu deaths since 1919, hopefully excluding and not reaching that 80,000 figure, but at this point I wouldn't bet on anything flu related. I just saw a news article on seasonal flu figures for this latest season, and the medical folks folks say they'll probably never get a really accurate figure, but think the precautions taken for Covid 19 have probably prevented a lot of seasonal flu, too.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I started this thread in March of 2017 and then posted most everyday for about a year...with a photo and a note of what it was like for a day in my life as a Harley rider. Quite a few other folks posted up some of their days.

After that first year of posting almost every day, I've only posted every now and then.

With the current Shelter in Place going on, I'm still getting to ride a bit everyday, but no trips. (right now Mary & I were scheduled to be riding the Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country, but that got canceled)

But I do have some interesting photo's from yesterday.

With social distancing in place Dwayne and I are not filming videos in the shop, so we've been trying to get a bit creative.

Yesterday Dwayne set up his Gopro at his house...

and, at first, I was down the road a bit with a second Gopro...

...We tried filming like that, but we were having some technical challenges. So I went back to his house, we kept our distance, and recorded one video there, keeping our distance.

After shooting that vid Dwayne stayed there, and I rode to a different location...

...about 10 miles away. I set up there...

We then shot 3 more videos like this. Each with our own Gopro filming, and us talking on the phone...

...Took hours longer to shoot the videos, but it was a bit of fun getting out and riding around.

Next I rode over to a Truck Stop about 150 yards from the shop and put the drone up...

...got some video of interstate 22 near us, not a lot of traffic...

...then went over to above the shop. Usually there's 7-8 cars and a couple of motorcycles. But with half the Team working from home, not a full lot.

It was an interesting few hours, definitely a different way to do the videos. Who knows, we may continue doing shooting like this even after the SIP is over.

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-23-2020 at 05:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DK Custom:
DanHappy (04-24-2020), Odd986 (04-24-2020), red sport. (04-23-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:50 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Last Thursday was a beautiful day to ride in NW MS.

Rode about 100 miles, taking care of some business, and shooting some video.

Drone shot on a bridge

Headed to the shop

The following 3 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Mart (05-17-2020), Odd986 (05-19-2020), Tommy C (05-16-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 06:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Default Sunny Day Turns Dangerous

This afternoon Dwayne and I headed out to shoot some video...

It was sunny and 90*, great riding!

We found a shady spot under a big tree and shot two different videos (both will be out within a week or so).

As we left it was sprinkling-

Soon after we split up-he headed home and I headed to the shop- the bottom dropped out. Temps dropped 15 degrees, wind was blowing, rain was coming down so hard we could barely see, and worst...there was lightning all around!

No photos...it was all I could do to get the 15 miles to the shop.

After an hour it let up to just a steady rain, I headed on home.

You can see the ceramic coating is beading up well. This has not ever been waxed, and it has not been washed in months.

My jeans are not dark blue...they are completely soaked!

I don't mind the rain when it is warm, although I prefer it is not so heavy that I can't see well. What I don't like is lightning and wind so strong that it can break the branches out of the trees I'm riding under!

But we both made it home safe!

Last edited by DK Custom; 06-05-2020 at 06:04 PM.
5wheels (06-05-2020)

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...