General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 PM
regewhite
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 fatboy

ideal tire pressure for 2000 fat boy=solo

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Somewhere between 0 and 100 psi. Let us know what you decide on.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

It depends more on the tires than the bike, why don't you read the side wall to see what the max psi is

Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,658 Likes on 6,672 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
It depends more on the tires than the bike, why don't you read the side wall to see what the max psi is
Terrible advice.

If using OEM tires, then it is in your owner's manual as well as a tag on the bike's frame.

If using another brand or type of tire, the manufacturing will have a recommendation on their website for your bike. Generally, it will be close to what OEM pressures are. You fine tune it by increasing or decreasing slightly.

If you are dealing with automotive tires or big tires like on a Jeep for example, you do what they call a chalk test.

******** at tire shops have a habit of putting 50 psi of air in my Jeep tires which is the max psi. I end up bouncing like a basketball down the road until I drop it to 29 which is perfect for the size and type I am running on my Jeep.

My Heritage has been parked so long I can't remember how much psi I run in it. Hopefully I will be healthy enough to ride soon.

Last edited by Prot; 03-24-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2000 Fatboy and run Metzler ME888. Per the tire manufacturer, I run 36 psi in the front and 40 psi ib the rear. When I ran Dunlops, I ran 32-33 psi in the front and 36 psi in the rear.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Terrible advice.

If using OEM tires, then it is in your owner's manual as well as a tag on the bike's frame.

If using another brand or type of tire, the manufacturing will have a recommendation on their website for your bike. Generally, it will be close to what OEM pressures are. You fine tune it by increasing or decreasing slightly.

If you are dealing with automotive tires or big tires like on a Jeep for example, you do what they call a chalk test.

******** at tire shops have a habit of putting 50 psi of air in my Jeep tires which is the max psi. I end up bouncing like a basketball down the road until I drop it to 29 which is perfect for the size and type I am running on my Jeep.

My Heritage has been parked so long I can't remember how much psi I run in it. Hopefully I will be healthy enough to ride soon.
actually it's really good advice because different brands of tires are made of different compounds and have different tread patterns depending on what the tire is designed for. So tires that are made for high miles will require different tire pressure than ones that were made for traction / grip in racing situations even if they are both being used on the same bike, also your tires may need adjusted depending on the amount of weight you normally have on the bike.
No intelligent person used the max psi on the side wall because it's the max the tire should be at when hot but if you have a brain in your head you can take your max number use a lower pressure than check again after about an hour of riding to make sure you have not gone over your max psi and if you need to you can then either add or remove air from the tire depending on if you prefer softer or a firm tire while riding. On a 17 year old bike there is no way the information in a manual would be correct because there is no way you would be using the 17 year old tires. So assuming you have new tires on your 17 year old bike that do not match what a service manual would say that you have the best thing you can do is use the max psi make sure you don't go over the max psi and then adjust the tires to fit your comfort level and riding style. This is what I did on my 2013 fatboy my truck my challenger, work trucks my CBR dirtbike atv even my boat trailer. When I was a volunteer fire fighter we had the FD from a nearby city come and give us tips and tricks for maintaining our equipment. So if this is the same way a mechanic for fire departments set up their tires then it's pretty safe to say it's a pretty good way to do it

Last edited by StoneyFatBoy; 03-24-2017 at 10:42 PM.