Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will I notice between a Fat Boy and the Dyna's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM
gowacky
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What will I notice between a Fat Boy and the Dyna's?

First, I'm 72. I went to the class 4 years ago, then bought a Dyna Super Glide, then a Road King, then another Super Glide. In those 4 years I rode about 50,000 miles. Last June I sold out and now with another spring here I've realized what a mistake I made and I'm about to buy another Harley. I remember trying a Fat Boy before ... but I preferred the feel .. the vibration, of the Dynas. Now I'm thinking that much of that feel and sound are only felt when you're stopped. Now I'm leaning towards the Fat Boy just because I like it's looks.

Can anyone comment on what I may notice about the ride as my only experience has been on the Dyna frame?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Comparing my old Heritage to my now current Dyna: The Heritage didn't vibrate at a stop, like my Dyna. At speed they both jiggle a bit. Some say that you sit "in" a Softail, rather than "on" a Dyna, but I feel like I sit "in" my Street Bob, so YMMV. The handling will be different, since the Fat Boy will be lower, so you won't be throwing her into the corners like on a Dyna.

I'm looking to jump to either another Heritage in the next couple of months, or a Road King, must can't make up my flippin' mind. Good luck with your choice, and post pics...

Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
gowacky
4th Gear

Thanks for the response Wolf. I've still been shopping online and I think I've noticed what I felt a long time ago regarding the seats and what you may have meant about sitting on the Dyna and 'in' the Fat Boy. I believe the Dyna seats are narrower where the Fat Boy has a bigger wider seat. Would you agree? Seems I'm seeing that now and I preferred the narrow Dyna seat.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,013 Likes on 9,228 Posts

5th bike in 4 years. I thought I was going through my second childhood in my 70s.
Just kiddin of course. Life is great when you can still ride in our 70s.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gowacky
Thanks for the response Wolf. I've still been shopping online and I think I've noticed what I felt a long time ago regarding the seats and what you may have meant about sitting on the Dyna and 'in' the Fat Boy. I believe the Dyna seats are narrower where the Fat Boy has a bigger wider seat. Would you agree? Seems I'm seeing that now and I preferred the narrow Dyna seat.
Sorry Wacky, but my Softail experience is with the Heritage, and it's known to be one of the most comfortable stock seats that HD has. Don't know about the FB's seat. I'm not overly fond of the stock solo seat on my Street Bob. Again, YMMV.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Dynas can actually go the speed limit around turns and not have to slow down like a softail. They look good(Softails) but handling was never a strong point.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:05 PM
gowacky
4th Gear

Thanks 71on72 ... I live in West Texas and just don't have enough options for my time ... I've always thought I felt better after taking a trip on a bike than had I drove my truck. I'm excited about getting another bike and I've been doing a bunch of online shopping today as the dealership is closed today. I was so excited that 1st year that I allowed myself to get caught out in some frigid weather. Doesn't a hot cup of coffee feel good in your hands when that happens? I'm excited and have about decided on another Fat Bob. Thank you and Safe Riding to You.

Thanks Yamaharhey ... Dyna's were my 1st love and I believe I'll be getting another.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-20-2017 at 09:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gowacky:
user 7172984932 (03-20-2017), Whtwolf14 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

Might be a bit bias but fat boy is the best bike HD offers, throw on some quick detach saddle bags and you can have the bike go from a touring bike to a bar hopper in a few seconds with no wrenching, or add a quick detach back rest and windshield and it's comfortable for rider and passenger. It's such a versatile bike with the correct mods it's basically a Swiss Army knife and it's made even better now that you can get the S with the 110 engine and that puts it in M8 territory

Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Whether you notice a difference or not depends on your sensitivity. Most people would notice a difference, but not all. One guy I know claims his new Street Glide handles as well as his CBR1000, so it all depends on the person riding them.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Hey stoney, I could replace fat boy with superglide and use your exact point. Personally I'd take conventional shocks that I can improve by increasing travel, than a softail rear suspension. It just wasn't designed with performance in mind. And they drag way sooner in corners. The dyna is Harleys best do all motorcycle available.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yamaharley:
hd4evr2008 (03-20-2017), rauchman (03-21-2017)

Quick Reply: What will I notice between a Fat Boy and the Dyna's?