General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will I notice between a Fat Boy and the Dyna's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
I need to introduce you to a friend of mine. I remember him telling me how he pulled his full face helmet off when a cop stopped him going around 120... Cop was astonished it was a 68 year old and not a 20 year old kid.

I have one of those friends..75..Couple years ago we were out, him, my son with my granddaughter on and his girlfriend were doing that on the 45 mph Colonel Parkway which is Federal. Leaves me just scratching my head why. Later on, I turned a hard 90 degree turn posted at 25 on Quinns Island. (doing 25) The same girl behind me somehow managed to go down in that turn and I spent the rest of the day with her in the emergency room while the son went for a trailer to get the bike. (A local took her to the ER and kept the bike till we got it later)

Since then, him and I have been a lot of places. He has wrecked twice in front of me low speed but doing idiot things way too fast going off the road.

Attached Thumbnails What will I notice between a Fat Boy and the Dyna's?-img_1991.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-20-2017 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

For me it all boils down to the engine. I owned one soft tail with the counter balanced "b" engine and hated it. Just too smooth and un-Harleylike at idle, then vibrated at speed. Shortest time I ever owned any motorcycle, only about 2 months, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Give me a dyna every time, and I'm gonna be 66 in June.

Yamaharley (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

A Fatboy motor will be smoother at idle, than a Dyna. Softails can get a bit buzzy at higher rpm's, a Dyna will be smoother at higher rpm's. A Dyna will turn in faster, be more manuverable, and lighter feeling. A Fatboy will be slower handling, but a little more stable when putting along. Two riders pull into a parking lot, one on a Dyna, one on a Fatboy. The Fatboy will get the looks.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Go to a dealership, test ride or rent them both. Then come back and let us know what you found out and which one you're getting.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:01 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gowacky
Thanks for the response Wolf. I've still been shopping online and I think I've noticed what I felt a long time ago regarding the seats and what you may have meant about sitting on the Dyna and 'in' the Fat Boy. I believe the Dyna seats are narrower where the Fat Boy has a bigger wider seat. Would you agree? Seems I'm seeing that now and I preferred the narrow Dyna seat.
I own both a Softail Custom and a Dyna Low Rider. I love them both but I have a little more fun riding my Dyna. It handles better and has more get up and go. At higher speeds the rubber mounted Dyna is smoother. Like you, I actually like the vibration at idle, then feeling the motor smooth out as I roll the throttle.

I don't have any problems scraping pegs on my Softail but keep in mind that the Softail Custom (which they stopped making) has as good or better lean angles than Dyna's, and much much better lean angles than any of the newer Softails.

Seats are usually a little wider on the Softails but an aftermarket seat can fix that. You'll most likely be giving up some comfort with a narrower seat though. Is getting flat footed the reason you prefer a more narrow seat?

If you think you like the Fatboy take one out for a long test ride and make sure you take it on the interstate too. Get a good feel for it and compare it to how a Dyna rides.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
That's a cute saying, but not in the least accurate unless you are talking about a non rider. I don't dispute that dynas will have more ground clearance, but I can hit any corner I have ever seen at or above the speed limit on any softail I have ever owned or riden. In fact I have swapped bikes with several different folks, and ridden the same road we just rode without scraping to demonstrate to them that it can indeed be done if they ride a bit differently.
'BullShit'. Then you ain't been riding hard enough. The Rockers don't handle for ****. WTH, your bike has a 21x3.5 & 18x8.5 with 36° rake & it handles good! The Breakout is worst & I've ridden both. I've also owned a FatBoy & dragged the hell out of the floorboards. It was stock height. Hell, I drag both floorboards, RH F/B mount, header pipe & kickstand on my 2011 FLTRX. Maybe I one of those 'non-riders you mention. .

Yamaharley (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
A Fatboy motor will be smoother at idle, than a Dyna. Softails can get a bit buzzy at higher rpm's, a Dyna will be smoother at higher rpm's. A Dyna will turn in faster, be more manuverable, and lighter feeling. A Fatboy will be slower handling, but a little more stable when putting along. Two riders pull into a parking lot, one on a Dyna, one on a Fatboy. The Fatboy will get the looks.

I like Softails & Fat Boys in particular, but if you go with a late model FB, be prepared to go through rear tires quickly.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:08 AM
gowacky
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really appreciate all the comments. I've only owned Dyna's... 2 Super Glides and one Fat Bob and a Road King. Of course all the same frame. When I was trading I rode a Fat Boy and even then I missed the feel of the Dyna ... although I would agree they just look better. I'm in total agreement on the plus side of Dyna's. All of your comments have helped me confirm that I'm staying with a Dyna ... I've even picked out a Fat Bob which is a bike I've already owned and would have saved a ton of money had I stayed with any of the Dyna's I've owned. I traded 4 times in 3 years and took a bath every time. Plus I always spent a ton on upgrades that is totally lost money when you trade. But lesson learned I guess. Thanks again to you all!

Yamaharley (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

I had a 2001 dyna superglide with an 88 TC and traded up in 2013 to a new fatboy. Here is my opinion based on my experience.

My dyna motor was rubber mounted and the fatboy has a balanced motor. So sitting at a stop light, the dyna vibrated more than the fatboy does. You say that you like that, so you may consider that in your decision. Driving 70 mph down the road, the dyna would smooth out, as you well know.

The dyna sat higher, and you can do corners and twisties faster without scraping floorboards. However the soft tail HAS floorboards, which are much more comfy on long rides IMHO. Personally, i dont plan on going from floorboards back to pegs anytime soon. Also I enjoy placing both feet flat and firmly on the ground when stopped.

I can vouch, my experience is that you do sit "on" a dyna and sit "in" a soft tail. I personally like this but you may or may not.

The sound of my dyna was more badass than my fatboy soft tail.

I live in the backwoods and have to drive miles of gravel roads from my house to hit pavement and the wider tires handle gravel better. Most people generally don't contend with this so it may or may not be relevant.

Most of this has already been mentioned in this thread and many others on this forum. Hopefully this will help with your decision.

I will tell you this though, I think you should go test drive or rent a fatboy for yourself and see how it feels. I love both the dyna and the soft tail and have no regrets with either purchase. Both are amazing bikes. But MY experience is when I test ride bikes I will know shortly into the ride if this is "the one" or not. Just a gut feeling, and its always steered me right.

Good luck.

Post edit: I missed your last post, lol - sorry. It sounds like you've made your decision, so enjoy!

Last edited by 01dyna; 03-21-2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Didn't see OP last post
Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
'BullShit'. Then you ain't been riding hard enough. The Rockers don't handle for ****. WTH, your bike has a 21x3.5 & 18x8.5 with 36° rake & it handles good! The Breakout is worst & I've ridden both. I've also owned a FatBoy & dragged the hell out of the floorboards. It was stock height. Hell, I drag both floorboards, RH F/B mount, header pipe & kickstand on my 2011 FLTRX. Maybe I one of those 'non-riders you mention. .
Now see I don't think you read what I actually said. My bike was not built for all out handling, nor did I day it was. I simply replied to someone else's misinformed opinion that softails couldn't hit the corners at or above the posted limit, which is simple not true. I at no point said a dyna wouldn't or couldn't outperform a softail. And I too have owned a fat boy, and ridden many others, and they can indeed hit twisties up to a point (at or above the posted speed) without dragging hard parts is all I was saying.

Quick Reply: What will I notice between a Fat Boy and the Dyna's?