General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,197 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Default RE: What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot

T-shirt, either short sleeve or sleeveless, Levis,doo rag, and lots of sunscreen. Temps in West Texas are already in the 90's and approaching 100, and this is cool for this time of year.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Uncle Fester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot

has anyone tried the DarienLight stuff from Aerostich?

I have a full suit from them, but no way am I wearing that thing in a Lower Bama summer. I'd get heat stroke before i got out of the driveway.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:46 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

tourmaster and fieldsheer have mesh jackets with c.e armor on the elbows and shoulders and also a pad for the spine..
i have questioned the mfg regarding torso length and fit and been informed that they should fit tight so the armor does not move in case of impact..and should be worn with zipper closed for same reason...that is reason for extra snaps on the arms...and torso is right at the belt line in the front so it does not bunch up when sitting on the bike...back is a bit longer...the metric/import stores seem to have a larger selection of the mesh jackets....seems protective gear mesh jacket with a zip-out liner and maybe a thermal for hot to mild cold weather would be good....i bought the fieldsheer for $90 with liner but the tourmaster is very nice for about $130..looked at the draggin jeans but did not have my size..seem to run long..

Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 AM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to wear the leather for as long as I can into the season....

but when it's hot, I switch to a Firstgear mesh jacket with armor. I like the firstgear... no weird colors, and it looks quite normal. I find the joe rocket stuff too "speed racer" in styling (personal opinion).

The first gear feels just like you have on a t-shirt - you get great air circulation. I also find it blocks some of the direct sun.

When it's really hot around town, I'll wear a leather vest. If you should go down and loose your skin - the last think you want is to stick to the hospital sheets when your back is chewed up :-)

I always wear boots, at least perforated leather gloves, and helmets depend on length of trip (1/2 helmet around town, full face on long trips).

Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 AM
suspect
Cruiser

this is what you should wear....................

[IMG]local://upfiles/32220/3EBB9D9A8668427EBC18F8617BD846E6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I ordered a Joe Rocket alter ego 2.0, its seems like it will be ok, its supposed to be 3 jackets in one. A textile, mesh and rain proof, you just add or remove liners and its got shoulder and elbow armour and spine pad. So ill see how it goes when it arrives later in the week

Old 06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what me and my wife have. Love them,

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This jacket is long enough to go over your belly and it is cool

Men's Harley-Davidson® Mesh Jacket

Constructed of fully-ventilated, nylon mesh. Body armor in shoulders and elbows. Adjustable waist and wrist tabs, hand-warmer pockets, and embroidered Bar & Shield logo on front and reflective Bar & Shield logo patch on back.

98225-06VM

Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

I just bought a leather jacket from fox creek I got this one http://www.foxcreekleather.com/large_image/5.html
The classic motorcycle jacket I, but I just cant decide if I like it or not.

So anyways, I live in upstate NY and the past couple of days its been hot and muggy as hell and that got me thinking, how can I wear a leather jacket in the summer. All the people I see riding in my area are wearing at most a leather vest so I cant gauge what other riders wear for protection.
But I do know that im still a new rider and want protection, my jacket has vents in it but will they keep me from sweating my ***** in mid july?
I know they sell mesh/armor jackets, but im a tall skinny guy and have had enough trouble finding a leather jacket that fits, I dont even know where to start looking for a jacket like that.I haven't found one that goes past my bellybutton yet.

So what do you guys do in the heat? and does anyone know a good place that sells light weight riding jackets that would offer good protection, and come in tall sizes?
For me it depends on the type of riding I'm doing. In the summer heat, at highway speeds, leather helps break the wind quite a bit, and motor heat isn't a problem. In or around town in the summer the leather is left at home or in the bag.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I shed the leather in the heat. The lack of extra protection keeps me even more aware of whats going on

Quick Reply: What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot