General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:36 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot

tank top

Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot

I can't believe knowone has mentioned draggin jeans. I just picked up a pair of their kevlar lined jeans and kevlar long sleeved mesh shirt. This stuff is great in hot weather! It's supposed to give you the same abrasion protection as leather. The kevlar shirt feels like a cotton thermal, very comfortable and cool in the heat. The jeans are a heavy cotton with kevlar lining in the knees and seat, check them out here, although they can be found at different vendors.

btw, about $99. for the jeans and same for the shirt. (add $20. if you want a black shirt, normal color is gold)

http://www.dragginjeans.com

http://www.competitionaccessories.com I actually bought my stuff from competition accessories, great folks to work with.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:17 AM
marcss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the Harley Ventura mesh jacket. But get the cooler "metalic grey" Very nice looking Harley jacket, and it's only $85. I got the armor too for 2 x $25 minus 20% sale. Some or mostdealers will let you order stuff at the sale discount that day, or go to some that offer it all the time. XL might be long enough, plus you want it to fit kind of short so it doesn't bunch up when sitting. The back has a cool looking large Harley logo too. Jenny at Santa Maria HD has them and shipping is cheap, might even give ya a discount.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

Jeans and a t-shirt.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

What to wear? When it is 80 degrees or higher, I'm in a tee shirt, vest,and jeans. Ventilated jacket below 80, chaps below 70. However, on a long trip I always bring full leathers and dress accordingly along the route. Weather is to unpredictable to not be prepared for anything.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear the leather jacket until it starts to warm up (like this weekend). I switch over to long sleeve shirt or a T and denim vest. Always have chaps on if I'm on the road. There's a tradeoff between leathers and safety, but I want to focus on what's happening on the road, not the fact that I'm cooking and dehydrating from sweating out too much. Personal call for everyone.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is purely a choice and I am all for free choice. Personally, after seeing my friend that just crashed was enough to make me think. She has had major skin grafts on second and third degree burns. She is still in the burn unit recovering. The pain has been the worst part of it, she says. So road rash is seriously something to fear. However, the "it will never happen to me syndrome" comes to mind. So what do I wear? I wear full leather and full face helmet on long highway runs. If it isn't 100+ in town I wear boots, jeans, gloves, leather jacket and 1/2 helmet. If it's really hot I will ride in town with everything but the jacket, which I replace with a leather vest. That is my free choice.

Cheers!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I can't say enough about the Ventura (or any) mesh jacket. It's like wearing nothing but gives some protection especially with the light weight armor added. Get one in a light color for those hot days. I've been down and skin to asphalt is not fun or pretty. It's like getting badly burned or worse because that crap has to be scraped off with the skin when it gets embedded.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
brocken
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

I was looking at those HD mesh jackets at my local dealer and they seemed like they would be good in the heat, but my problem is that they only go down to my belly button. I look like a just beat up a 10 year old and stole his coat.
[sm=roll.gif]
Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at that mental picture.
I hear you about the problem with gear in the Summer. Usually in the Seattle area it doesn't get much above 80 but it's been close to 90 the last few days...I melt in the heat.
One thing I'd suggest is look into some Underarmor(not sure if it's been suggested). they make breathable boxers and shirts. I would wear those under a vented leather or a mesh jacket. motorcyclegearreview.com has a ton of reviews for jackets. Sometimes stores will have reviews, like newenough.com and they even let you return it if it doesn't work out for you.
The Draggin jeans are great! I just bought a pair and got a chance to wear them. Just about as comfortable as a regular pair of jeans and supposed to be much better protection. I'll worry a little less about my butt now on hot days where I can't wear my leather pants.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

Full roadrace leathers, boots, gloves and fullface hator I dont ride.....period.

I dont care if I look like a tool.........FTW

Quick Reply: What to wear in summer, leather even if vented seems like would be to hot