General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michellin Commander 2 tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Well I just didn't switch on a whim.
As I always do I researched the subject extensively.

I read where-as some gave the Commander II's high marks and some not.
I read where-as some gave the American Elite high marks and some not.
I read where-as some gave the D401 high marks and some not.

So in other words anyone who researches the "which tire" subject will find that there is not one tire out there that's the best by everyone's standard.

What I'm looking for in a tire is 30% tire life, 30% ride quality, 20% cornering traction and 20% wet weather traction.
From my research the Commander II should meet my needs; we'll see.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
What I'm looking for in a tire is 30% tire life, 30% ride quality, 20% cornering traction and 20% wet weather traction.
From my research the Commander II should meet my needs; we'll see.
what has your research found on the American elites? when my stock tires wore, I replaced them with the ae's. I've been more than happy with them, and in all kinds of conditions (well, except snow. don't get much of that here in la ) I've got over 10k on this set, and they don't show much wear at all.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
what has your research found on the American elites?
I found the reviews on the American Elite were pretty much the same as the reviews on the Commander IIs; some liked it, some loved it, and some hated it.

They both appear to be similar looking and performing tires so it was really a toss-up.
I guess I figured if the AE was that much better of a tire than the D401 then why is it only $10 more expensive?

I went with the Commander II and not the American Elite due to I felt that I've already given Dunlop a shot so why not try Michelin.

Anyway I'm no tire expert so depending on how the Commander II fairs, next time I might go to the AE or even perhaps some other tire.

Commander II

American Elite

Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I’ve always ran Dunlop tires on my Harleys.But if I needed tires and commanders is all they had I would have no problem using them. I’v Never had a problem with Dunlop’s and don’t foresee an issue with Michelin tires.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:17 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I have C2's on my RK and I'm very happy with 'em...

Old 10-21-2017, 08:46 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I had MC 2's on my previous bike, and have American Elites on my RK now. Like them both. I don't corner aggressively or ride much in the rain, I think the opinions range so much because of differences in riding style. I can say the MC 2's do get very good mileage, and on my previous bike I never felt them lose grip with the road.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Likketysplit
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I put MC2's on my 14 flhtk this past summer. Did a 5000 mile ride from southern Ontario out to southern California, and another ride in September down to Alabama, Georgia, etc., rode through just about everything from extreme heat to Hurricane Irma rain and debris, haven't had any problems. Some people complain about rain grip, others say they grip great in the rain. I don't ride super aggressively, and I've had no issues at all.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:03 PM
wrongway66@aol.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin CII's

I ran Dunlops for years, but I had a ton people and brothers that told me about CII's. I have a 2012 Street Glide, I am a very aggressive rider a big part of the time. I ride rain or shine, winter and summer, day and night.I ride 2 up quite often usually with same aggressive style. I pull a trailer almost always with my 100 pound service dog in tow. Once again, he loves to ride, especially when I ride aggressively. I like to ride my bike in the twisties and it currently has 56,000 miles on it. I'm getting a new rear tire this week, which will be my 5th rear and I'm on my 3rd front. I change brake pads with tires, because they are worn out too. My first 2 rear tires lasted about 18,000 miles each, but then I started pulling the trailer and the back tires dropped to about 10,000 miles per, but I also started riding a lot harder more often. The front tires lasted 32,000 miles and 18,000 miles pulling trailer. I changed out the factory Dunlops at my first service and immediately felt the difference, especially with line following, it's virtually nonexistent for the first 3/4 of the tires life. They grip like crazy and I'm always confident that they won't "thrill" me, especially in the twisties. They handle great in the rain, but I do like to slow down to the speed limit in heavy rain when pulling the trailer, because it can get a little loose towards the last couple thousand miles in the rain at higher speeds. We routinely ride at 90, 100, 110, but usually try to run at 85-90 mph. We've ridden the Dragons Tail as well as any other "extreme twistie" I can find. I rarely get a chance to ride in snow, as I live in GA and used to live in AZ, but I've been caught in snow and it handles very well. Obviously ice and sand can be "interesting," but that's the case with any tire, lol. There's actually video of me riding the Dragon without the trailer on YouTube. You can meet Angus, my amazing service dog and see video of him riding on Facebook @FamousAngus1 he's the most amazing dog and service animal and he actually gets an attitude when we take the truck instead of the bike. When I open the door and walk out he runs out and jumps in the trailer, ready to go. The bottom line is that the CII's are great tires and I'm happy as can be with them. I hope this helps someone out. BTW, i do ride casually at times, especially when my passanger is new or rusty and the tires are awesome, handle beautifully and have a nice, comfortable, stable, surefooted and sticky quality about them that novices will appreciate and get confidence from This is my kid and his bike, just got the trailer back from North Augusta Customs getting an awesome Linex finish.
Outside of Wheels Through Time, Maggie Valley, NC
Toys for Tots ride leading the pack.
. Happy riding and i hope to see you out on the road!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

So you ride 90-100mph pulling the dog trailer?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

I've had the CIIs on my '05 FLTRi, and have had good results...and no problems... but I see the AEs are a couple of bucks more, and have been thinking about the next pair, might BE American Elites

Quick Reply: Michellin Commander 2 tires