General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra falls over

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
AceHog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra falls over

Doen't someone make a bike that the front and rear break work at the same time.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Jular2
Road Captain

I'm 71--leaving Florida in July for California via Oregon--not your age my friend.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigwhite

I was definetly using front brake when I last dropped it, if a person turns into the fall, will it keep bike up, I am looking for any answers and appreciate all mature replies.

See, this is one of your problems. You only want "mature" responses. If you want to enjoy riding and riders you have to take the ribbing with the good advice. If a person turns into the fall it will not keep the bike up. Make sure the front wheel is pointing straight ahead and the bike is vertical at the moment of stopping, otherwise only use the rear brake. If practical, take a rider safety course or get the Ride Like a Pro DVD. If you are in average physical condition for your age, your lack of strength has nothing to do with dropping the bike. I am older than you and I do not have that problem. However, I have dropped bikes, including my Ultra, over the last fifty years. Probably will again, dammit.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:51 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might also have some bad gas. you know they're starting to put some grain alchol in the fuel now, so who knows!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a little chrome "button" on the left side of the inner fairing. This is the ejection button. I suggest you orientate yourself to it.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 06-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Tuco
Advanced

Maybe my ultra is different but it was the worst feeling bike I have ever been on. It is slow to respond with the flex in the forks and the weight of the fairing, add that to the loose rear end and you have yourself a below average handling bike. Just because you bought it doesnt make it the end all scooter. And the bit about it handles how the moco wants it is pure crap. Look at how the bikes run from the moco. Blinded by the all mighty HD.
PS true track helped alot.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It could very well be that you have a suspension problem. There's nothing wrong with using both brakes to stop as long as,at very low speeds you don't squeeze to much on the front brake. Some times you end up putting the right foot down first depending on the road surfaceand so forth and you'll use the front brake to complete your stop.First thing I'd check would be the pinch bolts on the upper forks,if they are loose the front end will flex wilh even a little bit of brake although I'd think it would tilt you to the right.

If it's not a suspension problem,then ideally you'd come to a stop using the rear brake,with just the slightest tilt to the left and put your left foot down just as you come to a stop and if you're still rolling just a bit just a scrub on the front brake to bring you to a complete stop while you're putting your right foot down to make sure you're totally stable in your stop.

If that doesn't work after a lot of practice,then it's like some of the other guys said,you're just the most uncoordinated mother around,which I doubt.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 06-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Panic stop:Appy Front and rear brake simultaneously withprogressively harder pressure.
Rear first, then fronts.

CN

Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 AM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSF

Quick Reply: Ultra falls over