Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red LED rear turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 738 Posts
Default Red LED rear turn signals

Considering changing out my old LED Jam Strait rear turn signal clusters for some new Custom Dynamics.
Parts guy at the dealership said they could do a ECM download that would turn the signals into turn and brake lights.
This sounds like a good idea.
Then he asked me if I wanted Red or the Amber I have on there now?
I didn't know what to tell him.
I think red turn signals that would double as brake lights would be great. I am just not sure how good they would be as turn signals.
I am use to seeing amber turn lights, wondering if the color would confuse people in back of me?

Old 02-24-2017, 06:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

It might confuse them, that is, if they're not looking down at the phone, in which case, having an airplane search light back there wouldn't matter.

Seriously, I have Custom Dynamics LEDs and mine are red. I use them half of the time because of my post above. I was rear ended at a stop light about 18 months ago. I stopped, she stopped but for some reason, she bumped me 10' into the intersection. Her excuse for hitting me was lame, of course. And yes, I had my signal on.

In short, I don't think it matters.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 738 Posts

Keeping every light back red there might be a better idea than amber turns and a red brake light. Like you say it really only helps if the cagers are paying attention, and we all know how that goes.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I thought all cars have amber turn signals in the back, so would't it make sense that cagers are more in tune with amber lights then red one which are not that common......just sayin....

Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Quite a few cars have them built into the brake lights days
https://youtu.be/jIjY7mERBrw

Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,316 Likes on 5,478 Posts

Once again. The rear turn signals can be red or amber. The front must be amber. Lens covers can be smoke ,amber ,red or clear. But the light when used must show the correct color.
The CD LED inserts are brighter than the jam strait. Good lights in back are a good thing. Getting it to busy in the rear can confuse people and cause them to miss their meaning.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I thought all cars have amber turn signals in the back, so would't it make sense that cagers are more in tune with amber lights then red one which are not that common......just sayin....
There's still a few cars with all red and, personally, I hate it. If it was an option to have amber rear turn signals, I'd go for it. Still, 48 LEDs in each light is pretty bright. Once, I had a guy tell me my break lights were stuck on. No, just bright LED running lights.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 AM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Some states by law require all red brake lights. Va. is one of those states so it's not really an option and lenses are cheap.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 4,132 Posts

If the turn signals function as brake lights then they should be red. The only blinking lights on a vehicle are turn signals and 4-way flashers.

If people are confused because a turn signal is red then they shouldn't be driving. What else, other than a turn signal, would a blinking light on one side be?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:35 PM
blackfriar
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

My FXDLS came with red turn signals that double as brake lights. I installed the Custom Dynamics front and rear for increased visibility.

Quick Reply: Red LED rear turn signals