Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG membership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Chris57
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default HOG membership?

I have a dilemma, most of my riding buddies don't ride very often any more. I like to ride on weekends any where from 100-250 miles a day. Anymore it is usually just me and occasionally my wife comes along when she is not working. Here is my question, I have never been a club guy but I am wondering if joining my local HOG chapter would be fun? Any thoughts? Recommendations? I live in sacramento CA but would consider the Folsom chapter also. Thanks

Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 651 Posts

All I can say is have fun.
As a great song writer said.. I drink alone, I mean ride alone...

Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want the social aspect of being a Harley rider, then HOG is a great way to do it. Personally, I prefer to ride with a friend or two, three at the most. Group riding is too scary for this laid back old guy. My buddies and I are in our mid to late 70's, and I have noticed we are all slowing down a bit. Club membership would be a solution.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I ride with HOG, I like it, I've made nice friends. I'm Activities Officer and a Road Captain so I get to choose a lot of the rides.

Give it a try a time or two, take as much or as little as you want from it. The HOG haters will be out soon enough to tell you not to bother.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,970 Likes on 7,292 Posts

76 degrees here in the Carolinas today and members of our Hog Chapter who are retired have their Good weather week day Geezer ride. My wife and I were off and joined them. We did a 207 mile round trip on all back country 2 lane roads. There were seven bikes, these are all seasoned riders, very safe, very respectful to others and a wonderful time had by all.

I do not call Hog a club. We go to as many meetings as we can, and ride the rides we like that fit our schedule.

I have only been a member of one Charlotte, for about 8 years now but we have riden with other chapters on occasion. It is a great way to meet new riding buddies and enjoy some good rides.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 191 Posts

Ask the HOG peeps if you can go on a ride with them. Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:10 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Been a HOG member since 2002 and I'm now a Life member.
(Seems the yearly dues came too quick so I just went Life to make thing simple.)

Some HOG rides I enjoy but I still prefer to ride with a small group of riders that know what they are doing or riding alone.
I like to stop and read the roadside information signs when others want to keep going.
That's just me.

Too many times (I.E. a leaf ride) I hear "I got a Harley so now I'm riding with you!"
I want to ride with experienced riders.
Not real new.

Just had a crotch rocket rider get killed this weekend while going to fast.
Missed the curve.

Group rides can be fun.
For me, a little of both work out.

HOG is a good way to meet people.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Have been a member since 1992 have made many friends and ridden thousands of miles with them. Been places never would have because of HOG. Yes not every chapter is good, ridding with less experienced people can be challenging. But they don't become experienced unless they ride and if they learn in a safe and encouraging environment you end up with good riders.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:59 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I'm in my local HOG chapter. Every chapter is different, but there are some things you should know, that will make you more comfortable about joining.

You will meet a lot of people who own Harleys. Some like to go on big group rides, some like to go on small group rides, some hate group rides and flat refuse to go on group rides.

I go on most of the group rides, but the majority of the riding I do is with a small group of two or three HOG members. We've gotten to know each other, we've gotten to know each other's riding styles, and we've become friends.

If you like to ride with a handful of riders, no more, trust me, you'll find them, and they'll find you.

Have fun!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

It's going to depend on the HOG chapter, it's members and the ride calendar. But you have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it a try. If you don't get on with one chapter, try another.

I am not really a "joiner", but I tried my local HOG chapter a few years ago and am really pleased I did. The people are good, most of the riders are skilful (a few aren't) and the ride schedule is outstanding. Everything from weekday evening rides, weekend full day rides up to ten day major tours. You can just dip in and take what you want from it.

As IdahoHacker says above, you will meet smaller groups of like minded people there and end up forming sub groups that will become riding buddies for smaller group, non HOG rides.

Quick Reply: HOG membership?